America - its all a bit odd...

Guns are for fun. Simple. If the "gov't" wants to get you, they will. A simple drone strike will wipe you out. Sure, keep a couple of hand guns/ shotguns in your house....but most are just ridiculous.
You state that "Guns are for fun". If that's the case then why discriminate between the different types of firearms? A handgun or a shotgun will kill most living things just as dead as any other firearm. Heck you could take down wild pigs with a 17 HMR.

Besides, I use my firearms for more than just having fun, I use them as tools. You being an American would know that.

Oh wait, how could you know that. My apologies.

Some parts of L.A are the same unfortunately. I got to hear some full auto (sounded like AK) a few years back before the Ghetto bird arrived.
Every big city seems to have its lively area. I was providing security for a mate who was still working as a civil service tech for an Army Reserve unit located in the fruity area of Milwaukee. I had been retired from the Regulars for only six months and I was in between jobs so I leaped at a chance to practise my inner Sweeny when my bud told me of a gig providing security for the Army Reserve complex he worked for over the New Year's holiday, December 30, 1999 to Jan 2, 2000, the dreaded Y2K. The money was OK, it provided enough beer tokens to supplement my pension and tided me over until my new job working with the Navy kicked in. It was a doddle because we were in a fenced area, and the nearest MPD District Station house was only down the street about a mile. Easiest money I ever made, but during the nighttime hours you could hear the odd angry shot of hand guns, and a few times you could hear a rrrrip of multiple shots like a machine gun. Uzi? MP? AK? who knows? Maybe the denizens were welcoming in the new year and the last year of the 20th Century in true Mexican Day of the Dead style. Some of the radio chatter was laughable as people got nervous and flustered. Me I was as cool as a cucumber.

The Sweeny.jpg

Some parts of L.A are the same unfortunately. I got to hear some full auto (sounded like AK) a few years back before the Ghetto bird arrived.
All quiet around these parts with none of that crap going on thankfully.

Every big city seems to have its lively area. I was providing security for a mate who was still working as a civil service tech for an Army Reserve unit located in the fruity area of Milwaukee. I had been retired from the Regulars for only six months and I was in between jobs so I leaped at a chance to practise my inner Sweeny when my bud told me of a gig providing security for the Army Reserve complex he worked for over the New Year's holiday, December 30, 1999 to Jan 2, 2000, the dreaded Y2K. The money was OK, it provided enough beer tokens to supplement my pension and tided me over until my new job working with the Navy kicked in. It was a doddle because we were in a fenced area, and the nearest MPD District Station house was only down the street about a mile. Easiest money I ever made, but during the nighttime hours you could hear the odd angry shot of hand guns, and a few times you could hear a rrrrip of multiple shots like a machine gun. Uzi? MP? AK? who knows? Maybe the denizens were welcoming in the new year and the last year of the 20th Century in true Mexican Day of the Dead style. Some of the radio chatter was laughable as people got nervous and flustered. Me I was as cool as a cucumber.

View attachment 445107
I considered applying to the Wisconsin State Police. A visit to Milwaukee and the cheese hats they wear pretty much changed my mind. Saying that though Western Wisconsin is a cool place with some really beautiful scenery

I'e seen those at the gun shows, and they are nice to look at, but why would you want to own one? :? It's a little on the overkill side. As long as the gubmint says you can have one though, then I say more power to the prospective gun owner.
View attachment 445092
They are great fun to shoot though but personally I have no use for one either. There are a lot of .50 cal long range shooting competitions around the country though.

The odd thing is that .50 rifle was designed from that start as a civilian rifle and only later adopted by Military when they realized it fit a niche
You sure about that?

Forgetting muzzle loaders (such as the Kentucky Rifle), the first proper (circa) .50 cal anti-materiel rifle was the 13.2mm Mauser 1918 T-Gewher, whilst the first true .50 cal BMG rifle was the Boys AT developed in the mid 1930s.

You sure about that?

Forgetting muzzle loaders (such as the Kentucky Rifle), the first proper (circa) .50 cal anti-materiel rifle was the 13.2mm Mauser 1918 T-Gewher, whilst the first true .50 cal BMG rifle was the Boys AT developed in the mid 1930s.
The .50 BMG was developed at the end of WWI and adopted just after, I'm surprised that there wasn't a rifle developed for for the poorer nations who couldn't afford the machine gun.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

The .50 BMG was developed at the end of WWI and adopted just after, I'm surprised that there wasn't a rifle developed for for the poorer nations who couldn't afford the machine gun.
Loads of countries in Europe developed their own anti-tank rifle, so there were lots to choose from for those who didn't. Most of the rest of the world at the time belonged to one or another of the European colonial powers, so that market was pretty much sewn up as well for obvious reasons.

If there is any surprise, it's that the Americans didn't develop an anti-tank rifle of their own, at least so far as I am aware of. The .50 BMG wasn't portable by infantry in the way that an anti-tank rifle was, and anti-tank rifles were reasonably effective against most 1920s and 1930s tanks.

You sure about that?

Yes, I am , the Barret was designed in 1980 and only adopted by the US Mil in 1990 (sweden adopted it in 1989)

.50 BMG Boyes were converted from .55 boyes so as not to be special classed as destructive devices under US law for civvie ownership

Last edited:
Loads of countries in Europe developed their own anti-tank rifle, so there were lots to choose from for those who didn't. Most of the rest of the world at the time belonged to one or another of the European colonial powers, so that market was pretty much sewn up as well for obvious reasons.

If there is any surprise, it's that the Americans didn't develop an anti-tank rifle of their own, at least so far as I am aware of. The .50 BMG wasn't portable by infantry in the way that an anti-tank rifle was, and anti-tank rifles were reasonably effective against most 1920s and 1930s tanks.
Well since the .50 Browning was designed as an Anti Tank weapon why design a rifle?, M1921 could penetrate 22mm of face hardened plate when most tanks had 9mm plating

Yes, I am , the Barret was designed in 1980 and only adopted by the US Mil in 1990 (sweden adopted it in 1989)

Designed in 1980 but based on the earlier Anti-Materiel rifles. Carlos Hathcock pioneered the use of a .50 anti-personnel sniper rifle in Korea by whacking a tele sight on an M2 Browning.

Well since the .50 Browning was designed as an Anti Tank weapon why design a rifle?, M1921 could penetrate 22mm of face hardened plate when most tanks had 9mm plating
As said in the sentence which followed the one you highlighted, the .50 BMG wasn't very portable by infantry in the way an anti-tank rifle was. Plenty of countries had both heavy machine guns in the 12.7mm to 15mm range, and anti-tank rifles as well. The French Hotchkiss 13.2mm machine gun for example was fairly popular and widely exported and also licensed produced by other countries. Other examples are the .50 Vickers, the 15mm Besa, and the 12.7mm DShK. That didn't obviate the need in the eyes of most countries for something that was portable by infantry however.

Carlos Hathcock pioneered the use of a .50 anti-personnel sniper rifle in Korea by whacking a tele sight on an M2 Browning.
Vietnam, he did that in Vietnam.

Correct. Apologies. the 50 was first used by the US Army in Korea but Carlos played silly buggers with an M2 in Vietnam.

2090m kill shot - one hell of an accurate silly buggers!
Pretty sure they used .50 during WW2.

Correct. Apologies. the 50 was first used by the US Army in Korea but Carlos played silly buggers with an M2 in Vietnam.

2090m kill shot - one hell of an accurate silly buggers!
Yep he held the record for the longest kill shot for 35 years until the Canadian sniper team broke that record in 2002 I think it was. He also played a central part in the setting up of the US Marine Corps sniper school.

Pretty sure they used .50 during WW2.
Winchester made a (Williams) .50 BMG anti tank rifle but it was never issued. I recall saw seeing something about it on Forgotten Weapons.

Okay, just found the link.

Last edited:

Latest Threads