America - its all a bit odd...

Which are all questions for the other thread.

I deliberately shuffled this bit here to avoid dragging the other one off topic. How do you justify your consistent mistrust of the government and the need to maintain arms under the Second Amendment to prevent government tyranny with this trust of the government making the right decision, no matter what the evidence is?

I genuinely do not understand how you can jump from one position to the other.

Edit - it's not just you personally, this is common with other US citizens I've spoken to on other sites as well. The ability to hold multiple conflicting viewpoints at the same time is almost a skill.
Inbreeding. Plus being very insular with a narrow world view. But mostly inbreeding.

Which is chauvinism rather than patriotism. They are often confused.
I would go for jingoism.

When Johnson called patriotism “the last refuge of the scoundrel” he didn’t have a problem with patriotism in general (and indeed was very patriotic) but with the specific use of Pitt hiding behind the word.

I always found the degree of patriotism in the US to be rather touching. The prevalence of Stars and Stripes flying outside homes always surprises Brits as we never did it in the U.K. (the flying of the Union Jack and/or the St George’s Cross is relatively recent and I think is inspired by the US flag flying).

I think the degree of patriotism is, in part at least, down to the newness of America and the lack of roots of many inhabitants. British and other Europeans rarely express this level of patriotism because they mostly feel more rooted in their histories, even if only vaguely.

As a comparison: I live in a small town that is probably 1500 years old (first recorded in 1086 - as was everything in England - but with graves from 867); I can walk to a cathedral that is the best part of 1000 years old; the histories , records and maps of the town go back 500 years (some parish registers even further back). Most Brits are in the same position, give or take a few centuries.

My friend Ken Miller lived in Texas. Family emigrated from Germany about 1920. Moved across the US and ended up in Texas. Small town, flat as a pancake all around. Relatively new with little history. He even lost his surname as it was originally Mueller, but this was deemed “not helpful”. So he had no connection to his roots, history, culture, ancestors etc. His family had been uprooted and transported thousands of miles to the west (which made a change for the Germans!).

Maybe the expression of patriotism is a way of trying to find some sense of unity or cohesion in a relatively new country.

Or maybe that’s a load of old cobblers. I dunno.

Well, there's something new (to me at least); umbrella drill!

US attempts at drill seems pretty bizarre at the best of times, but C4 has just shown some video of POTUS standing in the rain with USAF (?) guards marching around with umbrellas unfurled to keep the quiff dry.

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcome Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and Mareva Grabowski-Mitsotakis as they arrive at the White House, Jan. 7, 2020.

Last edited:
Might be the case in some very specific states - but the U.S. in general is one of the most diverse countries in the world because of all the migration.
You allegedly lived in london, which has a history of immigrants going back 2000 years, how do you think it effects our mind set?

Well, there's something new (to me at least); umbrella drill!

US attempts at drill seems pretty bizarre at the best of times, but C4 has just shown some video of POTUS standing in the rain with USAF (?) guards marching around with umbrellas unfurled to keep the quiff dry.

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump welcome Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and Mareva Grabowski-Mitsotakis as they arrive at the White House, Jan. 7, 2020.
Nothing really new to see here TBH....

You allegedly lived in london, which has a history of immigrants going back 2000 years, how do you think it effects our mind set?
I don't know....Brits are a tight lipped bunch...and the immigrants in the UK seem to be less integrated with the wider population, at least outwardly.

Toppet

War Hero
American Football. WTF is that all about?

I've just returned from the US and watched the Indiana Hoosiers v the Tennessee Volunteers game, at the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium. The game is split into 4 x 15 minute quarters, with a half time show. How the hell does it then take 3 hours to finish the game?

The average time the ball was in play for was about 3 seconds; then the fat wheezy boys needed a break and would swap teams - rinse and repeat for 15 (alleged) minutes then they'd scoot off the pitch for a pizza and some chips. There is no semblance of enjoyment to be had throughout - I'd rather watch re runs of Noel's House Party.

How this can be seen as a sport, let alone one enjoyed by millions, is beyond me. The only sweat evident was from the morbidly obese spectators that were shovelling lard into their mouths as fast as they could.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

I've just returned from the US and watched the Indiana Hoosiers v the Tennessee Volunteers game, at the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium. The game is split into 4 x 15 minute quarters, with a half time show. How the hell does it then take 3 hours to finish the game?

The average time the ball was in play for was about 3 seconds; then the fat wheezy boys needed a break and would swap teams - rinse and repeat for 15 (alleged) minutes then they'd scoot off the pitch for a pizza and some chips. There is no semblance of enjoyment to be had throughout - I'd rather watch re runs of Noel's House Party.

How this can be seen as a sport, let alone one enjoyed by millions, is beyond me. The only sweat evident was from the morbidly obese spectators that were shovelling lard into their mouths as fast as they could.
May I suggest a re-read of the thread title and try to understand it's meaning.

Why ex wife banned me from watching NFL games in the end because I kept asking why they stopped every couple of minutes. Bunch of fecking lightweights.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

And yet all of their live's revolve around American Football. They start playing as 3 year old, play it all the way through school hoping to be good enough for the school team and then a college team, then hopefully to be picked for a NFL professional team. Some of those NFL knackers are on contracts that make the UK FA team players look like paupers.

I can hand on heart say that in the nearly 10 years I have been here that I have never, ever, watched a game of American football, netball basketball, or rounders baseball.

Toppet

War Hero
And yet all of their live's revolve around American Football. They start playing as 3 year old, play it all the way through school hoping to be good enough for the school team and then a college team, then hopefully to be picked for a NFL professional team. Some of those NFL knackers are on contracts that make the UK FA team players look like paupers.

I can hand on heart say that in the nearly 10 years I have been here that I have never, ever, watched a game of American football, netball basketball, or rounders baseball.
Ice Hockey is mega though!

Playing Devil's Advocate compared to cricket:
American football = 3 hours, cricket = 5 days (or 1 day for the 'short' version).
American football = fit cheerleaders in skimpy clothing, cricket = old blokes in jumper and trousers.
Apparently copious quantities of beer involved in both so no score draw on that one.

If I was going to be forced to watch either then the NFL game looks better less tedious.

I would respectfully differ with you actually....soccer is quite popular with kids, but once past middle/ high school...looses its popularity. Why do you think the term soccer mom was invented?

Latest Threads