America - its all a bit odd...

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
Draconian? It’s a two way street, a Canadian with anything on record including a DUI conviction isn’t allowed to cross into the US either....In fact, the US takes it a step beyond anything Canada does, US border agents can refuse entry and even ban a Canadian if they admit to ever smoking weed in their life, even though it is perfectly legal here......
I understand that ANY conviction is a bar to entry to the US however as they don't have access to the PNC and only screen for "terrorists", surely just not mentioning it would be enough to get you through?

I understand that ANY conviction is a bar to entry to the US however as they don't have access to the PNC and only screen for "terrorists", surely just not mentioning it would be enough to get you through?
US boarder agents have 100% access to CPIC so have the ability to see every unlawful act a Canadian has been charged with, even if it didn’t result in a conviction. It used to be they just looked in your vehicle and asked a few questions then let you go on your merry way if they liked the looks of you. Since 9/11 the standard is to hand them your passport, they look at them to match you, or they go inside their booth and run them, if you lie and they run you in the system, that’s you done from entering the US possibly for good.

US boarder agents have 100% access to CPIC so have the ability to see every unlawful act a Canadian has been charged with, even if it didn’t result in a conviction. It used to be they just looked in your vehicle and asked a few questions then let you go on your merry way if they liked the looks of you. Since 9/11 the standard is to hand them your passport, they look at them to match you, or they go inside their booth and run them, if you lie and they run you in the system, that’s you done from entering the US possibly for good.
US customs and immigration have access to certain information in Canadian criminal records, and visa versa when coming through Canadian customs from the US. They don't have access to everything, but they don't need it for their purposes. Just the fact that you appear at all in the system is what they care about and they have absolute discretion over whether or not to let you in.

Even if you have a pardon in Canada, it doesn't matter for their purposes. If you have the slightest blemish on the record, even decades in the past, you need to apply for leave to enter the US and to keep renewing it on a regular basis.

I've never had any problems myself, but then I seldom have reason to want to go there.

I used to travel a lot and went into the USA via Pearson with a very tired and knackered passport. I was given a huge bollocking and taken into a smaller room for the affrontary of “insulting the President and people of the United States” Travelling with such a document. One of many issues going south.

Never had an issue padding around my land anyway. :? My brothers will do me a solid. :thumright:

Indians Paddling Canoe.JPG

Going to Kingston many years ago in 2 rental cars. We left about 20 minutes after the first car.

Sgt Etch the driver of Car 1 who was Ecuador born, his right seater was Sgt K whos family came from Norway and who looked dead ringer for Gary Busey, and 1 Irish as a potato guy named Byrne (who became NYPD) and a Black Sgt from South Jamaica Queens NYC

Apparently Etch pulled up to the Canuck side and thought it the height of humor to speak russian to the Canadian Border gal

By the time we went through a few minutes later all occupants of Etchs car were face down hands behind heads while the car was being searched like it was the French Connection. We waited 30 minutes for them eventually they arrived before heading to Montreal streets bars

Another time a Medic failed to let us know he had a DWI the previous year and the Canadians caught that right away during the ID check.

Another time a Medic failed to let us know he had a DWI the previous year and the Canadians caught that right away during the ID check.
Interesting. Did the Canadian border control agent let him thru (after sweating him a bit) or did they send him back over the border and refused him entry? :?

Interesting. Did the Canadian border control agent let him thru (after sweating him a bit) or did they send him back over the border and refused him entry? :?
Knowing the Canadian border services, they likely let him in no matter what he did as long as he didn’t have more than a 26’er and a carton of smokes.......

Last edited:
She is not an "expat," a bloody immigrant. I hate it when people term themselves as "expats" when they have been so long in a place.
Looking at the definition of expatriate, it seems describing yourself as an expatriate says more about what youve done (left, rejected, dismissed your place of birth etc) than what youve actually become (temporary resident, citizen etc)

But then so does the word "immigrant" ........if you think about it.

Looking at the definition of expatriate, it seems describing yourself as an expatriate says more about what youve done (left, rejected, dismissed your place of birth etc) than what youve actually become (temporary resident, citizen etc)

My impression of British who describe themselves as "expats" is they are people who may have left the UK physically but are still there spiritually.

So how would you define someone coming into to the UK as? Or someone coming into the U.S. as?

49er

On ROPS
On ROPs
So how would you define someone coming into to the UK as? Or someone coming into the U.S. as?
Simple. Genuine immigrants do not flounder about in the Med, or the Channel and do not turn up in freezer trucks. These bastards are what is known as criminals.
I hope this helps.

Well, they could be on vacation, or on a business or family related visit. In this case theyd be visitors.

They could be returning from same, in which case theyd be returning residents.

Or they could be attempting to smuggle themselves or something illegal into the country. In this case theyd be criminals.

Or they could be immigrating, or hoping to do so, such as asylum seekers.
In which case theyd be immigrants or potential immigrants.

Hope that helps.

My impression of British who describe themselves as "expats" is they are people who may have left the UK physically but are still there spiritually.
Like the expat dick who queried having to sing the "our home and native land" part of my country's national anthem.

Latest Threads