America - its all a bit odd...

awwww...thanks Gold....the wonderful Spencer Tracy -
(Christ onnabike...I think I remember seeing that in a moving picture emporium....now I feel really, REALLY old :-/ )
About 7 years ago My Nephew got to see it on the big screen.

A Guy here in NYC rented the Fresh Meadows theater to show a copy to his son and invited the general public for free. The lines to get in outweighed those for New Movies being shown at the time. The kid still recognizes almost any actor in the movie

View attachment 423774

The look of happiness on that babes face at the size of his milk supply's new nipples.

That music is magnificent.
Yeah, forget the connotations with many US movies, the soundtrack to 'Deliverance'. 'Oh Brother' and their ilk is wonderful.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yeah, forget the connotations with many US movies, the soundtrack to 'Deliverance'. 'Oh Brother' and their ilk is wonderful.

On the strength of 'Man of Constant Sorrow' I picked out a double CD called American Roots, The Essential Album....some good stuff on there.

Check out 'Freight Train Boogie' :cool:

But it was these ladies who made that fillum:
[ Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch , Alison Krauss ]

Last edited:
Cyclists in Boston Masa Massachew Massech America, who insist on cycling after dark with no reflective clothing, no front or rear reflectors, no lights and no helmet on poorly lit streets. I saw one (1) with reflectors on the pedals and rear mudguard but only because I suspect the bike came with them already fitted.

It was only their dark movement against oncoming vehicles headlights that made them even partially visible. Total nutters.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Cyclists in Boston Masa Massachew Massech America, who insist on cycling after dark with no reflective clothing, no front or rear reflectors, no lights and no helmet on poorly lit streets. I saw one (1) with reflectors on the pedals and rear mudguard but only because I suspect the bike came with them already fitted.

It was only their dark movement against oncoming vehicles headlights that made them even partially visible. Total nutters.
Surely their glow of smug entitlement outshone the headlights?

Surely their glow of smug entitlement outshone the headlights?
Utterly impossible to pick it out from the rest of the population. "Thank you SOOO much, you have a GOOD one", every time I interacted with any of them, no matter how trivial the encounter. The flight and cabin crew at the airport chatting at full volume, each trying to out-happy the other in their corporate smugness. two weeks of that and my fists were getting very itchy.

The only ones I'd class as normal were the TSA security Hitlers at the airport, it was abundantly clear they are total strangers to the concept of "Have a nice day," indeed they were so miserable they could have been Brits.

Edit - and those "smart" cases that follow idle swine to lazy to pull their bags behind them. Oh for some sort of localised EMP device.

Utterly impossible to pick it out from the rest of the population. "Thank you SOOO much, you have a GOOD one", every time I interacted with any of them, no matter how trivial the encounter. The flight and cabin crew at the airport chatting at full volume, each trying to out-happy the other in their corporate smugness. two weeks of that and my fists were getting very itchy.

The only ones I'd class as normal were the TSA security Hitlers at the airport, it was abundantly clear they are total strangers to the concept of "Have a nice day," indeed they were so miserable they could have been Brits.
Except you're British and polite, Mr. Itchy fists.... Because I am sure throwing a punch would be the last thing you would do here....

Except you're British and polite, Mr. Itchy fists.... Because I am sure throwing a punch would be the last thing you would do here....
Who said anything about throwing a punch? If I punched everyone that I've idly thought about punching I wouldn't have much time left in the day for anything else.

People being excessively cheerful for no reason is quite irritating.

endure

GCM
Who said anything about throwing a punch? If I punched everyone that I've idly thought about punching I wouldn't have much time left in the day for anything else.
Especially not on schooldays presumably?

Oh you wouldn't like me then. Apart from the odd day every now and then I'm one of life's happy buggers. Ever optimistic and always pretty cheerful.

Itchy fists???

Well, your mindset is slightly different and not quite can do.

Especially not on schooldays presumably?
By 8:20am today I already had a selection of candidates for a spot of full-contact diplomacy (as someone on here inventively called it). ********* who can't drive, pedestrians who press crossing buttons and then walk away, bus drivers who park their bus across a lane and a half of traffic, fuckwits in the PE department that schedule sports competitions right when I want to do a test, management idiots who think that I have a spare hour per class to do pointless crap, the daft bastard who emailed me with "I see you set a detention for rudeness. What was the issue?" and whoever it is that keeps messing about with my radiators. Then the kids arrived and things escalated.

At no point was there any physical violence, just a firm and frank exchange of opinions m'lud.

Itchy fists???
Yes. However, wanting to punch someone is not the same as going to punch someone. Mr Scum is British and therefore would have smiled, said everything was fine, then tutted as he walked away.

By 8:20am today I already had a selection of candidates for a spot of full-contact diplomacy (as someone on here inventively called it). ********* who can't drive, pedestrians who press crossing buttons and then walk away, bus drivers who park their bus across a lane and a half of traffic, fuckwits in the PE department that schedule sports competitions right when I want to do a test, management idiots who think that I have a spare hour per class to do pointless crap, the daft bastard who emailed me with "I see you set a detention for rudeness. What was the issue?" and whoever it is that keeps messing about with my radiators. Then the kids arrived and things escalated.

At no point was there any physical violence, just a firm and frank exchange of opinions m'lud.

Yes. However, wanting to punch someone is not the same as going to punch someone. Mr Scum is British and therefore would have smiled, said everything was fine, then tutted as he walked away.
Yes which is what I said. So talking about itchy fists is rather irrelevant, because it would be the most unwise course of action one could take. Especially over people who are "overly cheerful".... One would think you might appreciate a bit of positivity from time to time, especially as a tourist.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LJONESY The NAAFI Bar 121
Mr_C_Hinecap US 11
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 159

Latest Threads