America - its all a bit odd...

FWIW, I do not thiink in terms of "justifying" my having firearms (except I suppose in the context of getting the green light from SWMBO for my acquisitions). It is my right just like my other freedoms such as those of speech, worship, assembly, etc., which in this country are considered "natural" rights in that they inhere in our humanity. This is of critical importsnce as they are not merely "rights" given to us by our government that of course could be taken away by that same government.

This of course is but one of the hallmarks of our founding that make it noteworthy but it is something that I have noticed many from other systems of government find hard to understand. Regrettably it is also apparently less well understood by many youhger Americans who it seems have not been well grounded in the fundamental tenets of our system.

FWIW, I do not thiink in terms of "justifying" my having firearms (except I suppose in the context of getting the green light from SWMBO for my acquisitions). It is my right just like my other freedoms such as those of speech, worship, assembly, etc., which in this country are considered "natural" rights in that they inhere in our humanity. This is of critical importsnce as they are not merely "rights" given to us by our government that of course could be taken away by that same government.

This of course is but one of the hallmarks of our founding that make it noteworthy but it is something that I have noticed many from other systems of government find hard to understand. Regrettably it is also apparently less well understood by many youhger Americans who it seems have not been well grounded in the fundamental tenets of our system.
If this is a response to my previous post, then to repeat myself, if you want to have guns because you like having guns, then I don't have a problem with that. Both you and @Sam The Bam seem to be reasonably well balanced individuals and should be well down the list of anyone's concerns ( but @LJONESY on the other hand ...).

What I was saying was to not attempt to convince other people (or convince yourself) that you need to carry a pistol about in the woods all the time because of all the ferocious animals there. That just isn't a reasonable concern.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
If this is a response to my previous post, then to repeat myself, if you want to have guns because you like having guns, then I don't have a problem with that. Both you and @Sam The Bam seem to be reasonably well balanced individuals and should be well down the list of anyone's concerns ( but @LJONESY on the other hand ...).

What I was saying was to not attempt to convince other people (or convince yourself) that you need to carry a pistol about in the woods all the time because of all the ferocious animals there. That just isn't a reasonable concern.
Thanks for the thoughts. But you should stick to being a classroom professor, it suits you better.

Understood and no argument from me as I, while living in rural America, I simply do not have the issue of dangerous wild animals here and since I am also not a hunter, here or anywhere, it is not something with which I concern myself. It is my fervent wish that I will eventually leave this mortal coil without being responsible for taking the life of another living creature, 2 or 4 legged. Indeed it has taken me almost 50 years to attempt to come to grips with the grim reality that I once had to do so more times than I care to reflect upon.

I apologize if my post appeared contentious in any way. It was solely to explain the nature of our innate rights as American citizens. Your post merely caused me to reflect on the idea of justification.

Understood and no argument from me as I, while living in rural America, I simply do not have the issue of dangerous wild animals here and since I am also not a hunter, here or anywhere, it is not something with which I concern myself. It is my fervent wish that I will eventually leave this mortal coil without being responsible for taking the life of another living creature, 2 or 4 legged. Indeed it has taken me almost 50 years to attempt to come to grips with the grim reality that I once had to do so more times than I care to reflect upon.
Not sure how this works unless you've gorn all veggie. (A personal choice I've no beef with...)
I'm actually more comfortable with eating what I've personally killed than I am with eating meat from the supermarket or butcher.

Not sure how this works unless you've gorn all veggie. (A personal choice I've no beef with...)
I'm actually more comfortable with eating what I've personally killed than I am with eating meat from the supermarket or butcher.
Hence why I am a vegetarian and have been since Vietnam.

I see what you did there......

That really would make me break down and cry.... no hotdogs, brats, or burgers.
I eat to live not live to eat. I am quite content but do not begrudge anyone else if they must have meat. Just not for me for my own reasons. I was a veggie long before it was cool.

You don't but half of San Francisco does. The other half eat rugs apparently...
San Francisco - twinned with Sodom and Gomorrah. ;-)

Sodom and Gomorrah.JPG

Last edited:
I eat to live not live to eat. I am quite content but do not begrudge anyone else if they must have meat. Just not for me for my own reasons. I was a veggie long before it was cool.
Out of curiosity, do you braid your hair, or just keep it in a ponytail?

JJH has a lovely head of skin. He braids his beard instead.
My dear chap, I have never bought into the recent vogue of either "PMC" Vikingesque or metrosexual trimmed beards and remain clean shaven. Standards must be adhered to.

My dear chap, I have never bought into the recent vogue of either "PMC" Vikingesque or metrosexual trimmed beards and remain clean shaven. Standards must be adhered to.
Well for your own personal interest, the Marine core rotc puts out an outstanding version of the quintessential millennial metrosexual, or I might have been misinformed, lot of that about these days don’t ya know.....

Well for your own personal interest, the Marine core rotc puts out an outstanding version of the quintessential millennial metrosexual, or I might have been misinformed, lot of that about these days don’t ya know.....
AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Beard oil makes me tingle....which prob means I will get some exotic form of cancer in 30 years. But hey it smells great!

Beard oil makes me tingle....which prob means I will get some exotic form of cancer in 30 years. But hey it smells great!
I saw that for the first time at vendors tent at a fall festival today. Covers the smell of spittle and rancid bacon from yesterday's breakfast more like.

Latest Threads