America - its all a bit odd...

As the article makes clear, Colt's biggest problem at the moment is that ownership has gone through the hands of several private equity firms who have loaded up the company with debt in order to suck out the asset value from the company through financial engineering and creative use of bankruptcy procedings.

This means that there is no money left for new investment, including investment in new products. Once the company has been sucked dry, the empty husk will be closed down and the brand name sold off to someone else.

The article mentions that the latest owners split the consumer division off from the defence business, and then ignored the consumer division while it died a slow death. Shutting down the consumer AR rifle division was likely in the long term plans of their owners once it had been completely sucked dry.

The rest of the company will likely follow eventually.
Colt had a former Marine officer as CEO who then proceeded to load up the company with former officers as managers. Officers may be great leaders in combat but not so much as Managers of a for profit business

Add to that Colt lost M16/M4 contracts in 1988, 2013, 2018 and lost the TDP for the M16/M4

How Colt Lost Its Big Contract To Sell the US Army Rifles

Colt, FN split $177 million Army M4 contract awards - Guns.com
FN Lands Army M4 Contract, Underbids Colt, Remington
Army Drops Colt as M16 Rifle Maker

Colt had a former Marine officer as CEO who then proceeded to load up the company with former officers as managers. Officers may be great leaders in combat but not so much as Managers of a for profit business

Add to that Colt lost M16/M4 contracts in 1988, 2013, 2018 and lost the TDP for the M16/M4

How Colt Lost Its Big Contract To Sell the US Army Rifles

Colt, FN split $177 million Army M4 contract awards - Guns.com
FN Lands Army M4 Contract, Underbids Colt, Remington
Army Drops Colt as M16 Rifle Maker
Much depends on the individual officers involved in my experience.

Yes but Colt won’t even be in the running for the next gen 6.8mm weapons systems. My money is on either FN or Sig winning that.
Don't dispute that. My comment was solwely directed at the breadth of Goldbricker's comment about officers in business.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Don't dispute that. My comment was solwely directed at the breadth of Goldbricker's comment about officers in business.
Colt has own goaled itself to death.
But I still like their M45A1, and if I could find a gently used one down the road I would scoop it up. But alas the LMT and the Tac 14 will be the last purchases for a while.

But was Colt the only supplier for the MEUSOC 1911’s ? Sorry to pester, but I am a 1911 Snowflake fan boi and still think that pistol has considerable merit in today’s plastic pistol environment.

Colt has own goaled itself to death.
But I still like their M45A1, and if I could find a gently used one down the road I would scoop it up. But alas the LMT and the Tac 14 will be the last purchases for a while.

But was Colt the only supplier for the MEUSOC 1911’s ? Sorry to pester, but I am a 1911 Snowflake fan boi and still think that pistol has considerable merit in today’s plastic pistol environment.
Colt was the prime contractor for it but here is some more info on other variants:

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Colt was the prime contractor for it but here is some more info on other variants:

Thank you for the knowledge!

It is about as American as Apple Pie...they have the Webley we have the 1911.
What makes you think that apple pie is American? The first recorded recipe for apple pie was written in England in 1381, I never quite understood how Americans think something is "as American as Apple Pie"

The 1911, a superb rifle. Do you have one?
I've fired one, uncomfortable as feck and Ive had no problems with .30-06 and .375H&H. seemed to kick the top of your shoulder more than the whole shoulder pocket

Correction it was a K31)

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
What makes you think that apple pie is American? The first recorded recipe for apple pie was written in England in 1381, I never quite understood how Americans think something is "as American as Apple Pie"
Because we don’t eat Spotted Dick....

Apple pie was a quintessential Americanism. All you need is a slice of sharp cheddar on it and we are in business!

Because we don’t eat Spotted Dick
I'd have thought Spotted Dick would be rather more the quintessential Americanism .

All you need is a slice of sharp cheddar on it and we are in business!
See now you don't even know how to eat it properly you peasant. Custard is is the proper accompaniment for apple pie. Apple pie is about as American as Redshift.