America - its all a bit odd...

I could have said "near Georgian Bay" for the town of Durham, but then most of the people reading this thread would have had no idea where that was, so went with the one near Toronto.
Strangely enough, I know where Georgian Bay is. Les Anglo-Americains did a bit of pirating up there during the Second Revolution/Land Grab of 1812. We Indians were not involved.

Yar Treefriends1.jpg

I could have said "near Georgian Bay" for the town of Durham, but then most of the people reading this thread would have had no idea where that was, so went with the one near Toronto.
I've driven through on my way to Collingwood on Georgian Bay

Handlebarbleep

Old-Salt
I moved here six months ago. Believe me it is indeed speshul.

Because I am a well spoken effete southerner and speak Brenda’s English they don’t understand a word I say and I don’t understand a word of their weird monkey gibberish. Or moonki as they would have it.

And I have no idea who thought hot pork pies and mooshy peez was vaguely edible. WTF is that about.
Nah then, Sithee
Nowt us kweer us fowk tha noz

Last edited:
You bunch of soft diseased buggers. I see the quack once a year for my flight medical and the family GP has had my file archived for the last ten years or more as I just don't bother with that crap any more. Last flight medical he lopped a skin tag off my eyelid while we waited for a new ECG machine after I broke the first one.

That's about as much medical stuff as I do in a year unless the Emperor convinces me to stick something sharp in my paw or do something stupid while pissed.

Scottish_Cop

Swinger
I doubt very much if the taxi fleets liked the milage of the Crown Vic Interceptor which was horrendous. For a good many years I drove one as a take home work car. It was the plain wrapper version with cloth upholstery, carpets etc but inside the skin was pure interceptor. They were very different from the civvy Crown Vic.
They were a great car to drive though. Handled well at all speeds. They had the large Ford V8, alloy drive shaft, much larger alternator and battery, oil cooler and transmission cooler and much bigger radiator so it could idle all day in the summer without overheating, special transmission and differential. Tires and rims were grade Z, rated for 149mph although I never went faster than a bit over 120mph. Although the plain wrapper version they could be clearly spotted. Back before retirement when driving on roads with police doing traffic duty the state police would usually salute. Not sure who I was but why take chances. I had to give up that car when I retired and had to remember to carry change for parking meters.

Currently the only Ford police models now are versions of the Explorer SUV and the Taurus sedan. The Taurus used to be called a midsized sedan but was renamed a full sized car. Police seem to be buying mainly the Explorer Interceptor as the Taurus has legroom problems and it is hard to get prisoners in the back (probably not humane for the prisoners either)

The Crown Vic interceptor was basically killed by the CAFE regulations (Corporate Average Fuel Economy). Vehicles used for police, fire, EMS, etc are exempt from those regulations but Ford could not afford to make Vics only for the government market and civvy versions would have put them over the CAFE averages cap.
I love the Crown Vics. I bought a mint low mileage 2011 P7B direct from a Police Department in Florida and shipped it to the UK (one of the last ones built) and I recently bought another that was already in the UK; a 2008 P71.

Handlebarbleep

Old-Salt
As I said, the point of the reference was not its 100% accuracy but was rather to point out the silliness in at least one ARRSER calling upon any of us over here to rule out even one negative occurrence in our healthcare system to be able to defend it against criticisms that overgeneralize and rely on questionable premises. Cheers.
Thanks for spotting my reductio ad absurdum.

I’m afraid he didn’t get it, Someone who is to a stranger to me on social media uses mostly personal anecdotal evidence to support his argument. I therefore use other contrary anecdotal evidence from his countrymen, which he then attacks as unreliable anecdotal social media posts. In a social media post.

Sadly, I don’t think he got it, but thanks anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for spotting my reductio ad absurdum.

I’m afraid he didn’t get it, Someone who is to a stranger to me on social media uses mostly personal anecdotal evidence to support his argument. I therefore use other contrary anecdotal evidence from his countrymen, which he then attacks as unreliable anecdotal social media posts. In a social media post.

Sadly, I don’t think he got it, but thanks anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have risen considerably in my estimation. ;-)

Made my eyes water! USA, leading the way again; knee-capping isn't imaginative enough.

The bullet became lodged in the man's thigh after being shot through his penis. Picture: Urology Case Reports

'A man who suffered a gunshot wound to his penis has had his experienced recorded in a medical journal, with researchers noting the incident was possibly a first in medical history.'

Posted by OB on another, unconnected thread, but of relevance in looking at the view across the pond.

And that folks is how any form of dissent or alternative viewpoint is closed down.

The fact that it's now a criminal offence to offend or upset someone should have set alarm bell ringing a decade back.

One thing the US got right is the 1st Amendment, even if it doesn't apply to privately owned websites, it stops the professionally offended from using the law against them.
'In the last three weeks US authorities have arrested at least 28 people accused of threatening acts of mass violence. What's behind this surge and could they all be convicted?

'The threats ranged from posts on social media and video gaming sites to verbal comments to colleagues and friends. In at least two cases, suspects sent text messages to ex-partners. Hoards of weapons were also found in some cases. The FBI won't say what is behind the steep bump in apprehensions, some carried out by that agency, others by local police. It's not clear if it marks a growth in threats or simply a rise in awareness and tip-offs.

'But former FBI boss Andrew McCabe said on Friday there was undoubtedly a "renewed awareness" focused on the sort of threats that a few months ago might have been ignored by investigators mindful of the right to free speech as enshrined in the US Constitution. The first amendment offers broad protection of free speech, even if that speech is racist or of a violent nature. Prosecutions in the US are further complicated by the second amendment which safeguards the right to bear arms.'

Posted by OB on another, unconnected thread, but of relevance in looking at the view across the pond.

'In the last three weeks US authorities have arrested at least 28 people accused of threatening acts of mass violence. What's behind this surge and could they all be convicted?

'The threats ranged from posts on social media and video gaming sites to verbal comments to colleagues and friends. In at least two cases, suspects sent text messages to ex-partners. Hoards of weapons were also found in some cases. The FBI won't say what is behind the steep bump in apprehensions, some carried out by that agency, others by local police. It's not clear if it marks a growth in threats or simply a rise in awareness and tip-offs.

'But former FBI boss Andrew McCabe said on Friday there was undoubtedly a "renewed awareness" focused on the sort of threats that a few months ago might have been ignored by investigators mindful of the right to free speech as enshrined in the US Constitution. The first amendment offers broad protection of free speech, even if that speech is racist or of a violent nature. Prosecutions in the US are further complicated by the second amendment which safeguards the right to bear arms.'

Without commenting either way on the substance of the post, readers should be aware there is more to Mr. McCabe, late of the FBI, than the reference to him would convey.

How authoritative. More crayoning.
I think of it as a given these days that he’ll try to bait and troll every thread possible. It’s guaranteed the same as if you turn to the golf channel, you’ll either see Tin Cup or The Legend of Bagger Vance on at some point in the evening every day of the week.....

Oh dear...
Maybe its a method to carry a magazine fitted to the weapon, but safely?
murica.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Goatman Charities and Welfare 0
Mr_C_Hinecap US 11
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 156

Latest Threads