America - its all a bit odd...

I recall a favourite tale my Grandad (a no-nonsense Ulsterman) would tell of a visit to a posh home in South Dublin in 1947.

The dinner party conversation was going smoothly and he managed not to slurp the soup when he was asked by a lady beside him "What do you think of Joyce?"

"Ah, the Brits were right to hang the bastard", he announced to the table, assuming she was referring to William Joyce (Lord Haw-Haw) rather than James Joyce.

Conversation for the rest of the evening was a bit stilted apparently.
My Grandad was called Mueller and at a dinner I attended the subject of my German family came up.
"Oh was that Gestapo Mueller?"
My response was "No Mueller is a rather common name, like Miller"
"Oh that's alright then " came the response
" He still died," I responded
"Oh, was that in action?"
I said "No, It was a car accident-reputedly, problem is we don't know whose"
As to Joyce- I've read "Ulysses"-he should have been shot for punctuation, for the use of, Lack of

Mike Barton

War Hero
The thing about William Joyce was of course that he was virtually stateless as no one wanted to claim him. Certainly not the Americans or British (other than to use his passport as an excuse to string him up) and whilst he could have sought to claim Irish citizenship they wouldn't lift a finger to help him as the wee gobshite had been a runner for the Black and Tans when he was a boy in Galway, "Hell rub it up him," was the general Irish opinion.

just pointing out you lot hanged a man you knew you had no legal right to hang.[/I].
Mmm.. the appeal was denied and he sentence upheld by:

Lord Jowitt KC later Lord High Chancellor
Lord Macmillan a former Lord of Appeal
Lord Wright a former Master of the Rolls
Viscount Simonds KC and former Lord of Appeal later Lord High Chancellor

The only dissenting voice, Baron Porter, did not do so on the grounds of the appeal. Rather he said that it should have been put to the jury rather than answered as a point of law.

Of course, their Lordships are all now deceased and not available to defend themselves on social media. However, they seem to have reasonable qualifications to form a legal opinion.

Ever open minded though. But before I take you at your word on legalities, would you mind laying out your legal qualifications and experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just pointing out you lot hanged a man you knew you had no legal right to hang.
Much as we all made up the new laws to justify killing the Nazi's at Nuremburg.
and gave Red Indians Smallpox blankets.
Ah so these were the parents of the loyalists not the patriots then, you've checked. Given the programme of ethnic cleanising/genocide by the US against the native population and the countries ongoing problems with white supremicists, I'd suggets this is a subject you're better avoiding.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Those of us who figuratively straddle the Atlantic seem a lot more rounded in their worldly views, it seems to me.
Please do not bring that (Saint) Greta person into this.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Apart from Maastricht and Lisbon which are being ripped up and thrown out of the window in real time.

And the small matter of the dozens of treaties with he individual Princes and states in India that helped keep the peace, but Attlee just threw out of the window in 1947.

Oh and the Trucial States' treaties, revoked by the UK in 1971.
Suggest you, @Goldbricker and @redshift read this little bit on treaties (especially concerning Native Americans or as you lot call them "darn Redskins")

Would rather imply a victory, I would have thought.

Done in return for burning the York Legislation House for no reason that I can think of.
1565776029747.png

But he's right. You got a shoeing, hell even a girl sold you out (Laura Secord). Plus the natives even kicked your arse.

So to re-cap. You lost, we won and we all got to wear a 1812 pin on our uniform to prove it.

Hahahahaha you lost.
You burned down down DC, which is a black eye.

But your Indian allies were decimated, you lost some big fights, and in short could not get the job done. You in essence only helped to clear parts of America for further Westward expansion and speed up our ascendency.

Besides the USS Constitution was the ship to fear during the time, if you were a limey anchor clanker. It also still has more firepower than the Canadian Navy today...

But your Indian allies were decimated, you lost some big fights, and in short could not get the job done. You in essence only helped to clear parts of America for further Westward expansion and speed up our ascendency.

Besides the USS Constitution was the ship to fear during the time, if you were a limey anchor clanker. It also still has more firepower than the Canadian Navy today...
Depended on what type of ship the limey anchor clanker was in:

See the post above yours, you burned down York (now Toronto) before pay back time, suck it up land lubber !!

See the post above yours, you burned down York (now Toronto) before pay back time, suck it up land lubber !!
Alas my heart bleeds for DC these days.

But the war of 1812 was necessary to clear the air.

Now our armed forces are pretty joint, so the only battles these days are over the internet and beer drinking.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Goatman Charities and Welfare 0
Mr_C_Hinecap US 11
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 156

Latest Threads