America - its all a bit odd...

I love that whole "Britain didn't do anything for Poland" chat. Aye, other than declare a war which saw us lose 950,000 dead, cost us countless billions of pounds and heralded the end of our empire and position in the world

What exactly did America do for Poland? Other than sit about scratching their hoop until Japan gave them a shoeing?
Aye other than the BEF sat on its arrse for 8 months while whining about standing up to facism while drinking all the belgian beer in site

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Since we werent at war, not had any Mutual defence treaty, nothing. You lot had the treaty you lot did nothing to help them. Even the Crapauds invaded the Saar for a kilometer or so
Your grasp of geography is only exceeded by your honesty

Well, just getting read to exit the US and depart from New York. Not been to the big apple for a good few years so it was interesting to compare and contrast it with London as DC reminds me of Manchester, so I cant compare capital cities.

So what do I think?

I was amazed at how few people there on the streets at the weekend, during the rush hour and on the metro. London is over populated. New York feels spacious.

Not many homeless people. Having been to San Francisco recently, I was shocked at what a shit-hole it is with a huge homelessness problem. New York was like counting the homeless in Chichester in 1982 in comparison. London - not as bad as San Francisco, but compared to New York, it's miles worse.

New York is clean. London is a shit-hole.

Rush-hour? What rush hour? Traffic flowed freely - there was lots of it, but nothing in comparison to London. London is shite.

New York is warm. Say no more.

Lots of American flags and people proud of their nation. Londonistan, multi-culturalism etc etc etc etc.

NYPD on the streets and visible as well as carrying side arms and in some places, M4A1 carbines - I felt very safe. I do not feel safe in Londonistan in the same way I felt safe here.

So where gets my vote? New York every fcuking time. I am leaving this country and city feelign really depressed about coming home. I'm not even sure its my home anymore as it appears to be everyone else's that freeloads at the expense of the silent majority.

I did see a few homeless people with signs saying fcuk Trump. They didnt seem to have much cash in their begging bowls.

Where did the UK go wrong?

Miserable from Sunderland (now in Herts)

wilfred

War Hero
Well, just getting read to exit the US and depart from New York. Not been to the big apple for a good few years so it was interesting to compare and contrast it with London as DC reminds me of Manchester, so I cant compare capital cities.

So what do I think?

I was amazed at how few people there on the streets at the weekend, during the rush hour and on the metro. London is over populated. New York feels spacious.

Not many homeless people. Having been to San Francisco recently, I was shocked at what a shit-hole it is with a huge homelessness problem. New York was like counting the homeless in Chichester in 1982 in comparison. London - not as bad as San Francisco, but compared to New York, it's miles worse.

Rush-hour? What rush hour? Traffic flowed freely - there was lots of it, but nothing in comparison to London. London is shite.

Lots of American flags and people proud of their nation. Londonistan, multi-culturalism etc etc etc etc.

NYPD on the streets and visible as well as carrying side arms and in some places, M4A1 carbines - I felt very safe. I do not feel safe in Londonistan in the same way I felt safe here.

So where gets my vote? New York every fcuking time. I am leaving this country and city feelign really depressed about coming home. I'm not even sure its my home anymore as it appears to be everyone else's that freeloads at the expense of the silent majority.

I did see a few homeless people with signs saying fcuk Trump. They didnt seem to have much cash in their begging bowls.

Don't know if they still do but the city of New York used to buy one way bus tickets to Florida for the homeless.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

Don't know which dodgy areas you go to in NYC, but London is the safest I ever felt of all the big cities I lived in. And I lived with my cousin in NYC for about 6 months after college, so have a decent experience of both. I like NYC too, but never "felt unsafe" in London. Mind you, I mainly stick to the main areas-ish. Mind you, I spent a lot of time in Detroit. Go to Sydney (OZ) and do a walkabout in dodgy areas and I bet you will feel the same.

That's why you have kids playing around at close to 10 or even 11pm in London, while you get shooed in by 7 or 8 in NYC.

Don't know which dodgy areas you go to in NYC, but London is the safest I ever felt of all the big cities I lived in. And I lived with my cousin in NYC for about 6 months after college, so have a decent experience of both. I like NYC too, but never "felt unsafe" in London. Mind you, I mainly stick to the main areas-ish. Mind you, I spent a lot of time in Detroit. Go to Sydney (OZ) and do a walkabout in dodgy areas and I bet you will feel the same.

That's why you have kids playing around at close to 10 or even 11pm in London, while you get shooed in by 7 or 8 in NYC.
Try Tower Hamlets, Newham, Brent, Barking and Dagenham. Do you want me to go on?

Some of the 32 boroughs are like third world countries. I wouldnt wander round in Tower Hamlets after 1900hrs in the summertime, and not after 1600hrs in the winter. In daylight, I'd stick to main roads only.

You really feel safe in London?

actually @redshift - they had their first fatality in June in Central Park in 15 years. From a mugging - it was a stabbing.

So what do I think?

In 1981, I flew back home to london, my home town, on discharge. , the first time for 3 years, I was appalled at what it had become, a total shite hole, that was 38 years ago, We moved out in 1988, Beacause it had become intolerable, not a nice place to raise a family, now some 31 years later, its beyond a shit hole, it has become a full blown open lawless mega expensive un-governable, un-workable sewer. Not fit for human habitation.

In 1981, I flew back home to london, my home town, on discharge. , the first time for 3 years, I was appalled at what it had become, a total shite hole, that was 38 years ago, We moved out in 1988, Beacause it had become intolerable, not a nice place to raise a family, now some 31 years later, its beyond a shit hole, it has become a full blown open lawless mega expensive un-governable, un-workable sewer. Not fit for human habitation.
Absolutely.

I just edited my post to add this:

'actually @redshift - they had their first fatality in June in Central Park in 15 years. From a mugging - it was a stabbing.'

That made the local news channel - 'shock horror - someone has been stabbed and killed in Central Park in June'

Try Tower Hamlets, Newham, Brent, Barking and Dagenham. Do you want me to go on?

Some of the 32 boroughs are like third world countries. I wouldnt wander round in Tower Hamlets after 1900hrs in the summertime, and not after 1600hrs in the winter. In daylight, I'd stick to main roads only.

You really feel safe in London?

actually @redshift - they had their first fatality in June in Central Park in 15 years. From a mugging - it was a stabbing.
I lived in Tower Hamlets for close to 3 years...Isle of Dogs, to be specific. And yes, I felt fine. I really haven't been to the other places you mention.

I lived in Tower Hamlets for close to 3 years...Isle of Dogs, to be specific. And yes, I felt fine. I really haven't been to the other places you mention.
Really? My lad is 6'4 and built like a brick fcuking shit house and he lived in Tower Hamlets until last year and he wouldnt go off the main roads in board daylight.

Old town, the original settlement, since the middle ages, or the new yuppy- hipster enclave, so beloved of the city suits and Lombard-Lime street, con merchants?

Serpico

Old-Salt
Aye other than the BEF sat on its arrse for 8 months while whining about standing up to facism while drinking all the belgian beer in site
I'd love to hear what your plan would have been, a cheeky wee drang nach Berlin by two armies which would be roundly defeated by their opponent a few months later, onto Poland then presumably turn on the Soviets and kick them out too? We (Britain and France) quite simply didn't have the strength to beat Germany in 1939/40, and whereas I don't doubt we could have launched a diversionary attack in the West, what would have been the point? So Warsaw could fall in October? To further deplete our (Britain's) strength that we would so sorely need within a few months?

Last edited:

So what do I think?

So did you venture into the actual US at all? ;-)

So did you venture into the actual US at all? ;-)
I did Cape Cod, which is a bit like Dorset - people go there to die. Bahamas which doesnt count, and New York.
I did sit next to some real Septics when I had breakfast in a diner:)

I love that whole "Britain didn't do anything for Poland" chat. Aye, other than declare a war which saw us lose 950,000 dead, cost us countless billions of pounds and heralded the end of our empire and position in the world

What exactly did America do for Poland? Other than sit about scratching their hoop until Japan gave them a shoeing?.................

................while Ford of Germany, With Dearborn's knowledge, and IBM still traded with the NAZI administration.

Then why did you lot hang him since you had no legal jurisdiction?
"Joyce's defence team, appointed by the court, argued that, as an American citizen and naturalised German, Joyce could not be convicted of treason against the British Crown. However, the prosecution successfully argued that, since he had lied about his nationality to obtain a British passport and voted in Britain, Joyce owed allegiance to the king. "

Actually an interesting case. Technically a lie invalidates the application. However if he couldn’t renounce his US citizenship and his country was at war with Germany he would have been at odds with the US anyway, so the outcome wouldn’t have changed.

Actually an interesting case. Technically a lie invalidates the application. However if he couldn’t renounce his US citizenship and his country was at war with Germany he would have been at odds with the US anyway, so the outcome wouldn’t have changed.
Sure it would.

The US would have fried the cvnt in 'Ol Sparky.

Really? My lad is 6'4 and built like a brick fcuking shit house and he lived in Tower Hamlets until last year and he wouldnt go off the main roads in board daylight.
Well, I am just stating my own experiences...loved the fact the there was an ASDA super store, a Tesco Express and a Waitrose in close vicinity. And a nice pub called the "Gun."

No, never felt unsafe...

This were my typical images from the place...I even nick named one of the places "the beach" as it was sandy and pebbley ...an old empire era dock landing place..

2013-06-29 15.47.14.jpg

Isle of Dogs-1.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Goatman Charities and Welfare 0
Mr_C_Hinecap US 11
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 156

Latest Threads