America - its all a bit odd...

All I can think of is the Mall Chase in Blues Brothers,

"Lots of space in this Mall."

I assume Bear intrusions are not a rare thing and neither are bears hence the SOP is to shoot them.
We have occasional problems with bears in Canada, and SOP is if possible to shoot them with a tranquillizer gun and then take them outside of town and release them. They're usually marked with paint so the authorities know if the same bear has come back, and it if has they kill it as a problem bear.

However, tranquillizer guns are not always readily available and there may be an immediate potential threat to the public, so bears may simply be killed on the spot.

In the video, the bear was in a panicked state and running through a densely populated area, so the police were no doubt compelled to do something right away to stop it as the risk to the public from the bear would have been very high. I couldn't see the rifle very clearly, but it appeared to be just a standard police firearms squad AK with an optical sight. That would not have been ideal for shooting bears, but it was probably what they had on hand.

I live in an area of Canada not normally inhabited by bears, but the bears don't know that and very occasionally wander in. Wildlife problems are normally the responsibility of the provincial Ministry of Natural Resources, but because the bears aren't a routine problem here there isn't someone from the MNR immediately available and the municipal police may have to simply shoot it with a rifle if it starts behaving aggressively. Towns in parts of the country with routine bear problems are more set up to deal with them.

Black or brown bears are more usually a problem in the spring when they've just come out of hibernation and are hungry and so tend to wander more in search of food.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
That happens a lot these days of deep division between the two parties. It happened in Wisconsin a few years ago too, only it was Democratic state senators who had fled to Flatland (Illinois) to avoid voting on something the Republicans wanted to make law. In other words, normal jogging with these vile politicians of both parties who can't form a consensus on anything these days.A pox on both their houses.

Holy Jeebuz.

It seems nobody in the western world is prepared to respect democracy any more.

"I don't wanna play so I am going to hide out in the woods". FFS.

I assume the Democrats won 18 out of 30 seats in one of those "election" thangs so presumably Oregonians have voted.

Holy Jeebuz.

It seems nobody in the western world is prepared to respect democracy any more.

"I don't wanna play so I am going to hide out in the woods". FFS.

I assume the Democrats won 18 out of 30 seats in one of those "election" thangs so presumably Oregonians have voted.
You keep underestimating the Conservative Liberal divide. Climate change bills that hammer rural folks are not going to be popular when they are the ones who will really suffer.

Oregon Democrats rally behind cap-and-trade emissions plan

I don't underestimate it at all Jonesy. That was exactly my point. You missed it.

So lets look at Oregon. Assume 80% of Oregonians voted Dem and the CC stuff was part of their manifesto. (ignore the actual numbers - focus on the concept).

What do the 20% do if they don't like something? Lock'n'load and head for the hills? Seems legit for the Reps, who are denying their voters proper representation and who would be irrelevant if the dems had one more seat (might be 2 but I cant be arrsed looking).

What if 2% of the population don't like it and take to the hills tooled up to the max.

1% or less? WTF happens.

Where is the line between acceptance of democracy and rejecting it totally and going for "who has the most guns".

I don't underestimate it at all Jonesy. That was exactly my point. You missed it.

So lets look at Oregon. Assume 80% of Oregonians voted Dem and the CC stuff was part of their manifesto. (ignore the actual numbers - focus on the concept).

What do the 20% do if they don't like something? Lock'n'load and head for the hills? Seems legit for the Reps, who are denying their voters proper representation and who would be irrelevant if the dems had one more seat (might be 2 but I cant be arrsed looking).

What if 2% of the population don't like it and take to the hills tooled up to the max.

1% or less? WTF happens.

Where is the line between acceptance of democracy and rejecting it totally and going for "who has the most guns".

50-40 is not a super majority and a few
cities deciding the fate of the other side does not bode well. Our hyper partisanship makes Brexit look like toddlers fighting over crayons.

We are not talking abortion, which while passionate does not concern livelihoods of the side which is going to be kicked in the dick. The Liberal side is just viewed as transplant Californians who have taken over the state, with their shitty values.

So imagine enough French expats moving into all of Southern England and voting to turn your country into an extension of theirs.

oregon voter breakdown - Google Search

My state is ready to sue Washington over their refusal to allow Wyoming to use their ports to ship coal overseas.

Gordon asks AG for strategy to sue Washington over coal ports | WyoFile

So yes the ideological divide is bad, and getting worse. Trumpettes vs Liberal dick sucks to sum it up. Both sides view each other in very unfavorable terms, and are ideological enemies. With absolutely no inclination to work with the other side.

But at least we know where we stand, and our reps are willing to side with those that voted for them. Even if it means running to the hills...

Btw my side does have the most guns, and the other side should be thanking Christ this is America and not the Balkans.

happened in Wisconsin in 2011 as well

Wis. Democrats Flee To Prevent Vote On Union Bill
February 17, 20114:26 PM ET

A group of Democratic lawmakers in Wisconsin blocked passage of a sweeping anti-union bill Thursday by ignoring orders to attend a vote. Instead, they left the state to force Republicans to negotiate over the proposal.

As ever-growing throngs of protesters filled the Capitol for a third day, the 14 Democrats disappeared from the grounds. They were not in their offices, and aides said they did not know where any of them had gone. A state police search is under way.

Hours later, one Democrat told The Associated Press that the group had left Wisconsin.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Zhopa

War Hero
Apologies for the source, but unlike its usual drivel this piece actually seems more or less on target (and something that's been an alarming trend for the last couple of years).

I’m a Journalist but I Didn’t Fully Realize the Terrible Power of U.S. Border Officials Until They Violated My Rights and Privacy

"I didn't fully realise", he says, but only because he hasn't been paying attention. I was about to put it on Twitter with a comment, but then remembered CBP are now asking for details of social media accounts too...

Well, London has one of the highest concentrations of non-UK populations - Americans, Canadians, Antipodeans, Asians etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Goatman Charities and Welfare 0
Mr_C_Hinecap US 11
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 156

Latest Threads