America - its all a bit odd...

ugly

LE
Mainly as was pointed out that the natives are basically too lazy to be bothered but using all of the normal metrics the residents of that country are amongst the happiest in the world!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

So ...let me get this straight. Please correct me if I've got it all backwards.

The guy Joe in the video came to the U.S as an 11 year old boy, served 6 years including at least one op tour in Vietnam. He then lives as a US citizen for 50 years before getting done on a charge of Assault and being deported to Tijuana?

And, according to this Fox News PR1CK, non-nationals can serve in the United States Armed Forces...but if they commit a crime after their service they are liable to deportation ?

Their service to the United States counts for......zip,nada,a cup of warm spit?

Yaaaay go " Land of the Free ,Home of the Brave with Liberty and Justice for all ......"

There I was reliving my cheerful childhood watching the Clampetts on YouTube .

@redshift That video has successfully lowered my view of our Number One Ally.... daing son.

hell yes, someone with no political history becomes POTUS.
Trumps business doing well at the moment

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Back to cultural stereotyping....I think the kind of stuff that 60s kids like me soaked up over our teatime beans on toast* probably shaped our views of America, just as all those Hollywood blockbusters with English villains shape their view of Brits.

I loved Ellie May, but that boy Jethro could use a little edumacashun I reckon.... Come on back real soon , hear?

from 1962......the twilight of innocence....

The sound at the start is rank...but it gets better.

And for banjo-pickers out there - the theme tune was played by Earl Scruggs.

* a British working class snack/light meal , unknown West of Sable Island :-D

Back to cultural stereotyping....I think the kind of stuff that 60s kids like me soaked up over our teatime beans on toast* probably shaped our views of America, just as all those Hollywood blockbusters with English villains shape their view of Brits.

I loved Ellie May, but that boy Jethro could use a little edumacashun I reckon.... Come on back real soon , hear?

from 1962......the twilight of innocence....

The sound at the start is rank...but it gets better.

And for banjo-pickers out there - the theme tune was played by Earl Scruggs.

* a British working class snack/light meal , unknown West of Sable Island :-D

1559311607101.png

You have this look of disapproval about you...

The guy Joe in the video came to the U.S as an 11 year old boy, served 6 years including at least one op tour in Vietnam. He then lives as a US citizen for 50 years before getting done on a charge of Assault and being deported to Tijuana?

And, according to this Fox News PR1CK, non-nationals can serve in the United States Armed Forces...but if they commit a crime after their service they are liable to deportation ?

Yaaaay go " Land of the Free ,Home of the Brave with Liberty and Justice for all ......"

@redshift That video has successfully lowered my view of our Number One Ally.... daing son.
Don't you think you are being overly critical?

Getting judgmental about all our allies "quirks" can be a very bad thing. Sometimes it is best to simply overlook some things you might not agree with and drive on.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
No Jonesy I'm not.....given the way you folk idolise anyone who has served, this strikes me as ,frankly, nauseating hypocrisy.

As a former Comms type, it is also extremely bad PR.

Oh, and just to give you a little global perspective?

If Joe from Tijuana had chosen to join the French Foreign Legion as a fit young 20 year old instead of the United States Marine Corps?

- he would have been a French citizen from the moment he completed his five year contract.

True dit dat - ask @Condottiere

Last edited:
No Jonesy I'm not.....given the way you folk idolise anyone who has served, this strikes me as ,frankly, nauseating hypocrisy.

As a former Comms type, it is also extremely bad PR.
Two sides to a story just like two sides to a coin.

I had a mate once, he was the battery commanders driver. He managed to rape a 13 year old girl and assault her father and put the man in the hospital. He was not idolised by any means, he was thrown to the wolves in short order. He became scum overnight and nobody gave a shit about what he did prior to that.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
uh-huh.....we too have murdering scum who happened to have once worn a uniform, they don't get a free pass either....I doubt whether 73 year Marine Corps Vet fits the bill.

uh-huh.....we too have murdering scum who happened to have once worn a uniform, they don't get a free pass either....I doubt whether 73 year Marine Corps Vet fits the bill.
Two sides.

Not saying it is right or wrong but I can’t find his last name to get the impartial story. But age and gender mean absolutely nothing when it comes criminal activity.

Trying to find more on his story, so let me dig.

I know of at least one case wheresomething similar happened in the British forces, there are others. Unfortunately I am not in a position to give precise details, suffice it to say that a soldier not from Britain but serving in the British Army committed an offence which resulted in a custodial sentence. At the end of which he was taken straight to the airport.

Another contender for the Darwin Awards, but once again shows the deadly combination of American gun ownership and gross stupidity. His parents must be so chuffed!

'Paloma Williams, 24, was blasted in the chest during deadly foreplay with her new lover Andrew Shinault, 23, The Sun reports. The pair had been dating for only a fortnight but they had played with a gun during previous encounters, it has emerged. Mr Shinault told the police he and Ms Williams were using a 9mm Taurus for “sexual gratification and arousal” at his home in Valrico, Florida.

'According to graphic new details about the tragic night, Mr Shinault told detectives he was sitting on the edge of his bed with Paloma between his legs. The brunette’s back was facing a TV set on a desk. Mr Shinault, who is being held for manslaughter, said Ms Williams first rubbed the weapon along his body. Then he did the same to her. When he held it to her chest he pulled the trigger and the gun went off.

'Ms Williams fell and Mr Shinault yelled for his parents, who were downstairs. She died later in hospital.'

Woman shot dead in sex game gone wrong

Another contender for the Darwin Awards, but once again shows the deadly combination of American gun ownership and gross stupidity. His parents must be so chuffed!

'Paloma Williams, 24, was blasted in the chest during deadly foreplay with her new lover Andrew Shinault, 23, The Sun reports. The pair had been dating for only a fortnight but they had played with a gun during previous encounters, it has emerged. Mr Shinault told the police he and Ms Williams were using a 9mm Taurus for “sexual gratification and arousal” at his home in Valrico, Florida.

'According to graphic new details about the tragic night, Mr Shinault told detectives he was sitting on the edge of his bed with Paloma between his legs. The brunette’s back was facing a TV set on a desk. Mr Shinault, who is being held for manslaughter, said Ms Williams first rubbed the weapon along his body. Then he did the same to her. When he held it to her chest he pulled the trigger and the gun went off.

'Ms Williams fell and Mr Shinault yelled for his parents, who were downstairs. She died later in hospital.'

Woman shot dead in sex game gone wrong
I saw something the other day where a guy was banging away at his missus... With a 9mm. I don't think she enjoyed it though, the front sight peg was a tad uncomfortable I think.

Idiots.

I saw something the other day where a guy was banging away at his missus... With a 9mm. I don't think she enjoyed it though, the front sight peg was a tad uncomfortable I think.

Idiots.
Like the old joke about bears and aircrew 9mm survival pistols.

Insulin is free at the point of prescription in the UK. So are any other prescriptions for people with diabetes.
The 9 odd pounds I pay here on the rare occasion when I get prescription stuff is much cheaper than what I used to pay back in the U.S. - even when I was a student at UofM and we had our own medical hospital, and the insurance plan was the best you could get, being there.

The following is a rather interesting story is about how 50 years ago the Americans turned off the American side of Niagara Falls.
www.cbc.ca/archives/50-years-ago-the-u-s-turned-off-their-part-of-niagara-falls-1.5153072?cmp=rss

There are several short videos in the story which will not embed in this forum software, but which are definitely worth watching.

A brief summary however is that there are actually two (or three if you count the very small Bridal Veil) falls at Niagara, divided by Goat Island. The island is in the US, and the border runs along the edge of the water. The Canadian or Horseshoe Falls is thus entirely in Canada, and 90% of the water flows over this falls.

The other falls is known as the American Falls, and the remaining 10% of the flow goes over it.

The American Falls however is falling to bits and the crumbling stone is piling up at the foot. Some feel that this detracts from the appearance of it, so 50 years ago a temporary dam was built between the Goat Island and the mainland of the US, drying up the falls. This allowed geologists to study the rock under the falls to get a better idea of how long the falls may last. The dam was then removed some months later and the water continues to flow today.

The videos show the American Falls as the water was cut off, leaving it dry. It makes for quite an interesting sight.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jumpinjarhead US 29
Mr_C_Hinecap US 11
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 78