America - its all a bit odd...

I would argue it is rather pretty, Jonesy.

Ignoring all the soft and fluffy stuff and using data from the US Treasury and the World Bank the GDP of the U.K. was $2.6trillion in 2018 making it the fifth largest economy in the world.

The only US state with a higher GDP was California with $2.9trillion. Presumably making it the fourth largest “national” GDP in the world should it wish to secede.

So how does your claim stack up?
Why Britain is poorer than any US state, other than Mississippi | Coffee House

Tried posting a WP article but it won't let me.

GDP per capita, is how you are being measured. The UK was at $36,202.

And this thread is not a “US crap/UK wonderful” one.

It’s a thread to celebrate the subtle differences and phase shifts between two countries with a common language, heritage and interests.

You say tomayto/we say tomarto. You say bayzil/we say bazzil. That sort of oddity.

It’s a thread to celebrate the subtle differences and phase shifts between two countries with a common language, heritage and interests.

You say tomayto/we say tomarto. You say bayzil/we say bazzil. That sort of oddity.
Yes and I am not trying to get into a pissing contest.

But you folks do pay more for the same items that we do, which also bites into your purchasing power.

And everyone thinks Dick van Dyke's Cockney accent was crap.o_O:thumbdown:

Dick Van Dyke.jpg

You're right. Obviously the US is poorer than Qatar, Luxembourg, Ireland, Brunei or Norway.

Edit - according to the CIA Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands are both richer than the US :)

Link - Country Comparison :: GDP - per capita (PPP) — The World Factbook - Central Intelligence Agency

Last edited:
And everyone thinks Dick van Dyke's Cockney accent was crap.o_O:thumbdown:

View attachment 393380
I think the entire population of the U.K. are with you there. Hanging is too good for him.

Given that the Black Dyke Mills Band were called the Mills Band on their US tour I am surprised he hasn’t been forced to change his name given it more or less translates as lezzers strap-on.

Lets face it, there are folks who have a stick up their Arrse about Americans. If you really want to know what the country and it's people are really like then come live here. A four week holiday isn't going to give anyone an accurate assessment of what Americans are like, no matter how many holidays you've had here.
I think it depends on what kind of holiday.
I've spent the grand total of two nights in hotels whilst in the US for an average of 6-7 weeks a year over 20 years. The rest of the time, I've stayed with American friends, or friends of friends who have become friends. It's rare any activities I'm involved in are "touristy" (Carlsbad & various museums being the exception).
Heck, I'm even slowly learning American Spanish, or at least enough to make ordering food & talking to waiting staff easier in NM (no chain restaurants for me - eat where the discerning locals do).

I've spent the grand total of two nights in hotels whilst in the US for an average of 6-7 weeks a year over 20 years. The rest of the time, I've stayed with American friends, or friends of friends who have become friends. It's rare any activities I'm involved in are "touristy" (Carlsbad & various museums being the exception).
Heck, I'm even slowly learning American Spanish, or at least enough to make ordering food & talking to waiting staff easier in NM (no chain restaurants for me - eat where the discerning locals do).
I don't know if it's true or not but I was told there were 7 Spanish dialects spoken in North America.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

Those bastards!!

Now how did the Irish manage to climb so high??
Many reasons Jonesy.

Ignore the raw GDP figures. They are not based on distributional weighting, which is why the island states, oil states etc score so highly.

Irish GDP is significantly distorted by the structure of of the economy. It mostly accrues from multinationals domiciling their assets in Ireland (intellectual property rights, leased aircraft, corporate tax dodges etc. Zero tax for artists/musicians probably helps as well.

I know Ireland very well (my mum is Irish) and those aircraft, IT corporations etc. don't really have anything to do with Ireland.

Similarly building workers in Qatar, Bermuda etc don’t earn over a hundred grand per year.

GDP is often divorced from the local reality.

Many reasons Jonesy.

Ignore the raw GDP figures. They are not based on distributional weighting, which is why the island states, oil states etc score so highly.

Irish GDP is significantly distorted by the structure of of the economy. It mostly accrues from multinationals domiciling their assets in Ireland (intellectual property rights, leased aircraft, corporate tax dodges etc. Zero tax for artists/musicians probably helps as well.

I know Ireland very well (my mum is Irish) and those aircraft, IT corporations etc. don't really have anything to do with Ireland.

Similarly building workers in Qatar, Bermuda etc don’t earn over a hundred grand per year.

I agree, stats can be manipulated to create whatever message one wants.
Every country has the extremely wealthy and those on the other end of the spectrum. I do believe you have a larger percentage of your folks that are middle class, while it is shrinking here. The mega wealthy however continue to rake in the big bucks.

>$44k where I looked vs $59k for the US.
Take out your healthcare costs & things look somewhat different, as the UK spends 9.8% (not enough) of GDP on health, compared to 17.6% gravy train...) in the US.
The outcome: life expectancy in the UK is longer than in the US...
We also average less hours at work, (much) more holidays & significantly less stress.
You guys need to take more breaks & chill out a little. :razz:

Those bastards!!

Now how did the Irish manage to climb so high??
Low rates of corporation tax, so Amazon/Google/Microsoft register their EU businesses there.
This means the total take of said organisations counts as part of Ireland's GDP, despite half the population still having to share a pot to piss in. (Only the politicians get richer...).

>$44k where I looked vs $59k for the US.
Take out your healthcare costs & things look somewhat different, as the UK spends 9.8% (not enough) of GDP on health, compared to 17.6% gravy train...) in the US.
The outcome: life expectancy in the UK is longer than in the US...
We also average less hours at work, (much) more holidays & significantly less stress.
You guys need to take more breaks & chill out a little. :razz:
We will never get the same amount of holiday time as you folks. The tax rates for your healthcare costs would be interesting.

Life expectancy however does have many factors that vary between groups and the sexes.

I get what you are saying mate but at the same time you are in with a group of friends and yes you have some idea of what Americans are like. To really know what they are like though you have to live and work among them 52 weeks of the year.

Way I see it, Yanks are no better nor worse than any other people on the planet. They have the same day to day bullsh!t to contend with and the same worries for their kids as anyone else. The folks who judge them based on a few weeks holiday or what the see on the telly or read on social media really have no clue about the country or it's people.

Hell it might even be worth starting a thread on say UK - It's all abit odd and just as fücked up.

Many reasons Jonesy.

The same can apply within a country as well. One reason that California ranks so high is that there are so many very profitable multinational companies headquartered there who earn money around the world. The average person who lives there doesn't see that money however. That doesn't mean that on average they're not well off. It does mean though that they are not as well off as the numbers imply.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Jobs (Discussion) 80
Mr_C_Hinecap US 11
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 78