America - its all a bit odd...

Why do Americans think that they have the best country in the world, from what I’ve seen the majority don’t see the rest of the world as equal and when it comes to history they have this view that America has never had any failures. They love to bring up the war of independence and claim that they did it by themselves when the french almost bankrupted themselves fighting in it. For me it’s bizarre that one of the richest and most influential countries in the world has such a brain washed society and is in places incredibly backwards or poor
I love the U.S - I think it's my home country - will likely return to it at some point. It offers great opportunities and lots of good stuff.

But having traveled around, I don't think it's the greatest, even if I love the place dearly.

Every time some one asks me this question, my mind instantly goes back to this opening from way back. I personally don't think any one country can be the "greatest." Every country will have its flaws somewhere or other. Do I think the U.S. is great? Of course I do - but it's not the "greatest."

You can only make a country better by pointing out the flaws - even if it's not considered "patriotic". Simple as that.

Except that isn't true, is it. Britain is poorer per person than most US states because most US states consist of farms, mineral resources and a dozen people.

For 2015, Britain's GDP was $2.88 trillion. Guess where that puts us on the lovely graph? Number 1 ;)
Mine was adjusted per person...

Britain is poorer per person
The last time I checked UK was 18th in the international league of GDP per person; and looking round it looks like it.

The last time I checked UK was 18th in the international league of GDP per person; and looking round it looks like it.
Bearing in mind the CIA assessment puts the Falkland Islands well ahead of the UK in terms of GDP per capita (by $70,800 compared to $43,400 per person for 2015) I'm not sure it's all it's cracked up to be.

South America :: Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) — The World Factbook - Central Intelligence Agency
Europe :: United Kingdom — The World Factbook - Central Intelligence Agency

Just let him think what he wants...it is easier that way. Please wear your Redcoat when you are over here so we can refight the War of Independence again....

So when is your next trip btw?
Possibly for 5 days in June - just in & out (GA) for a 5th year remembrance gathering.
Looking to make it over for a month in late October/early November when it'll be at least GA/NM/AL

Lets face it, there are folks who have a stick up their Arrse about Americans. If you really want to know what the country and it's people are really like then come live here. A four week holiday isn't going to give anyone an accurate assessment of what Americans are like, no matter how many holidays you've had here.

I've met Yanks who I wouldn't give the time of day, I also know folks back in the UK who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire and some of them are family members. There is good and bad $h1t in every country and there are self centred mouthy twats in every country, it isn't just an American thing.

Most Americans like most folks the world over, are busy just trying to get through life and give their kids the best start in life that they can.

Lets face it, there are folks who have a stick up their Arrse about Americans. If you really want to know what the country and it's people are really like then come live here. A four week holiday isn't going to give anyone an accurate assessment of what Americans are like, no matter how many holidays you've had here.

I've met Yanks who I wouldn't give the time of day, I also know folks back in the UK who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire and some of them are family members. There is good and bad $h1t in every country and there are self centred mouthy twats in every country, it isn't just an American thing.

Most Americans like most folks the world over, are busy just trying to get through life and give their kids the best start in life that they can.
I'd second that wholeheartedly. Some of the kindest, most generous people I know are American but so are some of the biggest ********* I've ever met too.
Deep down they are no different to us and have the same hopes and dreams.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

I'd second that wholeheartedly. Some of the kindest, most generous people I know are American but so are some of the biggest ********* I've ever met too.
Deep down they are no different to us and have the same hopes and dreams.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
You Walts can't have the Zombie Apoc!! That is ours!!

It does seem to be trendy in some circles to be anti American. Strangely enough, when asked why that should be so, the answers are less than convincing. I imagine it's learned behaviour and groupthink from the media which causes some kind of bonding among the slightly slow who fall for the narrative.

Dr Who, they have it for Dr Who.
Which is shit now with that pathetic bird claiming she's the Doctor. (My aunt's fanny!) She's no doctor and the leeches that are traveling in the Tardis with her are no talent Z-list celebs. The only one that is decent is the last remaining white guy in the universe, but he seems to moan a lot too. I'd trash the lot and bring back Classic Who. Paul McGann didn't get a proper run as the doctor on screen; how about him? :?
Paul McGann Series 6.jpg

Which is shit now with that pathetic bird claiming she's the Doctor. (My aunt's fanny!) She's no doctor and the leeches that are traveling in the Tardis with her are no talent Z-list celebs. The only one that is decent is the last remaining white guy in the universe, but he seems to moan a lot too. I'd trash the lot and bring back Classic Who. Paul McGann didn't get a proper run as the doctor on screen; how about him? :?
View attachment 393373
I remember watching Dr Who with William Hartnell as the Doctor back in the days of black and white telly.

Have you ever wondered where the U.K. would rank in the pecking order if you folks were a state??

It ain’t pretty.
I would argue it is rather pretty, Jonesy.

Ignoring all the soft and fluffy stuff and using data from the US Treasury and the World Bank the GDP of the U.K. was $2.6trillion in 2018 making it the fifth largest economy in the world.

The only US state with a higher GDP was California with $2.9trillion. Presumably making it the fourth largest “national” GDP in the world should it wish to secede.

So how does your claim stack up?

Edit: Nod in the direction of @Ortholith

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Jobs (Discussion) 80
Mr_C_Hinecap US 11
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 78