America - its all a bit odd...

Well, I live in close proximity to the US border and the majority of my news comes from there. Barring the local stations that focus on, well, local news, the national news outlets do indeed report on world news as part of their broadcast. The stories might might not be as in-depth if there is no direct relevance to the US, but it is there. As for the BBC in North America, you just chucked the pretty educated out the window as it is utterly pathetic.......
BBC America is f-ing pathetic! I don't even know why they have it - well maybe for the ad revenue - though they also BBC World which is a bit better.

NPR is a decent source of news apart from a couple of others.

Signaller you have the skeptical view of Patriotism.
I have been indoctrinated since I can remember.

“Our Country! In her intercourse with foreign nations may she always be in the right; but right or wrong, our country!”

I had that conversation with one of your countrymen a while ago on a different forum. He found it enormously difficult to get his head round the fact that I was willing to admit that my country often f*cked things up.

BBC America is f-ing pathetic! I don't even know why they have it - well maybe for the ad revenue - though they also BBC World which is a bit better.

NPR is a decent source of news apart from a couple of others.

BBC outside of the UK isn't really the Beeb at all apart from the World Service. It's a different animal altogether.

I had that conversation with one of your countrymen a while ago on a different forum. He found it enormously difficult to get his head round the fact that I was willing to admit that my country often f*cked things up.
Yup it is not common to admit or discuss certain topics with outsiders. No offense but you are still foreign and some topics are uncomfortable unless you have a rapport with folks.

BBC outside of the UK isn't really the Beeb at all apart from the World Service. It's a different animal altogether.
For some reason I always liked their countdowns before the news - when I was sitting alone nursing a drink in an airport or a hotel in a strange place half across the world waiting for something and it came along and it felt so familiar and comforting.

Yeah not like the UK that's never ever screwed any country over in it's past.
How very dare you, sir! The British are a warm, wonderful nation; happy to spread the wealth of their knowledge, charm and culture to the backwaters of the planet for no more reward than a friendly wave and a 'thank you'.

... she has in the past, and continues to screw quite a lot of them over.;)
Unfortunately, America is in a period of strategic realignment which is actually pretty epic. But I would say most folks don't know, understand, or care. Alliances that have been around since before my parents were born are now seriously being questioned. But many in my age cohort are very skeptical and the boomers are starting to pass the torch on to the X'ers and senior Snowflakes.

Why do Americans think that they have the best country in the world, from what I’ve seen the majority don’t see the rest of the world as equal and when it comes to history they have this view that America has never had any failures. They love to bring up the war of independence and claim that they did it by themselves when the french almost bankrupted themselves fighting in it. For me it’s bizarre that one of the richest and most influential countries in the world has such a brain washed society and is in places incredibly backwards or poor
I used to have quite a negative attitude to the US. Of course my only opinion of the place was purely based on what I saw on the news and the few American soldiers I’d met in Germany where as we know “very few of them ever left the base as the had everything they needed in camp and were paid in dollars anyway”

Then, later in life I hooked up with and married a woman who has a son and grandson living in the US so we’ve been coming over here - I’m in the US at the moment - every year for the last 8 years or so. I didn’t expect to like the US but I do. The people are polite and helpful, the lack of any class type system is refreshing and there is an awful lot to see. We’ve just done a 3700 mile road trip taking in the north west and a drop down to San Francisco to see family.

The landscape is stunning. We’ve gone from desert to high mountains in a day, long drives but seldom boring - you have to keep your wits about you with traffic overtaking on both sides!

There are a large number of nutters on the streets of the big cities, I thought SF was bad until we came to Seattle. They keep themselves to themselves mostly and I’ve seen more beggars in Belfast.

Yes there are loud mouthed people around on occasion but I live in Norn Iron so what’s new? Next year will be New Mexico as I want to go to Los Alamos to see the Instant Sunshine factory.

Trump’s still a cünt though.

I used to have quite a negative attitude to the US. Of course my only opinion of the place was purely based on what I saw on the news and the few American soldiers I’d met in Germany where as we know “very few of them ever left the base as the had everything they needed in camp and were paid in dollars anyway”

Then, later in life I hooked up with and married a woman who has a son and grandson living in the US so we’ve been coming over here - I’m in the US at the moment - every year for the last 8 years or so. I didn’t expect to like the US but I do. The people are polite and helpful, the lack of any class type system is refreshing and there is an awful lot to see. We’ve just done a 3700 mile road trip taking in the north west and a drop down to San Francisco to see family.

The landscape is stunning. We’ve gone from desert to high mountains in a day, long drives but seldom boring - you have to keep your wits about you with traffic overtaking on both sides!

There are a large number of nutters on the streets of the big cities, I thought SF was bad until we came to Seattle. They keep themselves to themselves mostly and I’ve seen more beggars in Belfast.

Yes there are loud mouthed people around on occasion but I live in Norn Iron so what’s new? Next year will be New Mexico as I want to go to Los Alamos to see the Instant Sunshine factory.

Trump’s still a cünt though.
Funnily enough that’s what my uncle said about his men when they were in Germany, they showed no interest in the surroundings, I don’t mind America and in the future I would like to live in America for a bit it’s just some Americans that I’ve come across have a very self centered view, nice enough people but when it comes to world knowledge it’s very limited. My biggest complaints is that in places of America it is incredibly racist and has huge amounts of poverty yet it’s got one of the best economies in the world.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Jobs (Discussion) 80
Mr_C_Hinecap US 11
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 78