America - its all a bit odd...

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not quite . 1979. It was at Kinawly in Fermanagh and they were Marines not Paras. No IRA involvement

The story

Lads were bored so one of the NCOs suggested some training on the 84mm. He said to one of the guys “go and draw a practice round for the Charlie G” the lad does what he is told.

Lesson begins.

“LOAD”

They load

“FIRE”

They fire

“BANG, WHOOSH, CRASH - as the round hits a building in the village IIRC it was the church - ****”

Of course we all know now that what the NCO should have said was “go and draw a DRILL round for the Charlie G” Because dear reader PRACTICE rounds are the ones used to disrupt IEDs and they go BANG, WHOOSH...
I can't remember exactly what I was told now--- but the Charlie team were the ones who told me (Robbie and Bungy)------ they also had T shirts made.
Sure it was a suspected IED-- and it was either a tap on the shoulder or a word from the Lt that was misinterpreted------- thus---------- BANG--- bit of damage to church.(got in contact on FB today with guy I have not seen since 1979--- one of his "Friends" is Robbie)
The incident you mention was early '70s Belfast and 40 Cdo , again---Round went through accommodation-------- Paras later phoned the guardroom and asked if they could use the RM's indoor range:)

Last edited:
Dr. Lance Wallnau has a coin that will give God-fearing Americans direct access to God so they can pray for Donald Trump's re-election. And Dr. Wallnau will sell you this coin for a mere $45 to clutch in your hand as you pray to the Lord. The article below consists of a rehash of the usual criticisms of God's Chosen President but bear with it and Lance's Magic Coin is in there. Or find him on Youtube.

Televangelist Jim Bakker Show Peddles $45 Coin to Pray for President Donald Trump in SpectacularGrift

Why do Americans think that they have the best country in the world, from what I’ve seen the majority don’t see the rest of the world as equal and when it comes to history they have this view that America has never had any failures. They love to bring up the war of independence and claim that they did it by themselves when the french almost bankrupted themselves fighting in it. For me it’s bizarre that one of the richest and most influential countries in the world has such a brain washed society and is in places incredibly backwards or poor

Why do Americans think that they have the best country in the world, from what I’ve seen the majority don’t see the rest of the world as equal and when it comes to history they have this view that America has never had any failures. They love to bring up the war of independence and claim that they did it by themselves when the french almost bankrupted themselves fighting in it. For me it’s bizarre that one of the richest and most influential countries in the world has such a brain washed society and is in places incredibly backwards or poor
Have you ever spent any time in the US, more than just a vacation?

Even more bizarre, you think "brainwashed" is two words.

Have you ever wondered where the U.K. would rank in the pecking order if you folks were a state??

It ain’t pretty.

Have you ever wondered where the U.K. would rank in the pecking order if you folks were a state??

It ain’t pretty.
In which areas? Education standards? Percentage in poverty? Homicide rates? Which areas do we fail in compared to some states. (Also I’m under no illusion that Britain is the best country)

In some areas you might have a better quality of life, but others not so much. Money can buy happiness though.
There are some poor countries which have very little GDP yet the people are very happy. Anyway back on topic, my post does seem ignorant but you can’t deny that America cannot be called the greatest country in the world at the moment and that there is a large percentage of the population who aren’t clued up on the world. As my American uncle said world news is very rarely shown on US news compared to European news stations

There are some poor countries which have very little GDP yet the people are very happy. Anyway back on topic, my post does seem ignorant but you can’t deny that America cannot be called the greatest country in the world at the moment and that there is a large percentage of the population who aren’t clued up on the world. As my American uncle said world news is very rarely shown on US news compared to European news stations
Greatness is a matter of perception. Does the US have problems?? Yes it does, but most of us still love it anyways. Patriotism is not a bad thing.

What stations is your uncle watching, community access by chance? Would explain why he made such a ridiculous statement.......

What stations is your uncle watching, community access by chance? Would explain why he made such a ridiculous statement.......
I don’t know, all he told me was that if he wanted world news he would rely on the BBC even if he was out in America, and he is a pretty educated man so I do trust his word

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jumpinjarhead US 21
Mr_C_Hinecap US 11
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 78