America - its all a bit odd...

I don't watch much TV, so never ran into that. But it certainly sounds as though your interpretation is as you say. Whether one could infer that the American population at large intend to portray themselves in that way, rather than American lawyers portraying themselves that way is not something that automatically follows, in my book.

That said, I was in Florida a few weeks back, and there are numerous billboards at the side of I-75 and the Florida Turnpike doing exactly that. But not nearly so noticeable round here (Tennessee), or in Atlanta, where I still spend quite a bit of time.

If that's the general trend, I don't like it.
Things like this all tend to vary by region. But trying to tell folks that we are all not the same is rather hard when you don't live here and see the differences. The Media portrayals of America and the real world reality of this country tend to clash. Life is really so much more boring and down to earth for the vast majority.

Not sure about other regions in Canada, but around here 80% of the television stations picked up are American. You cannot watch one set of commercials without seeing lawyers selling their services either trying to get you to sue for a couple of million for a slip and fall, back, neck injury, etc, or entice you to join a billion dollar class action. Trying to get outrageous sums of money suing is the way Americans potray themselves, so a $500 bn lawsuit just seems par for course........
Well they inflate claims because they know the numerous appeals process will knock any judgement down typically

Claim 400 Million hope to get 1 Million (And the Lawyer claims half, the IRS a 1/3) it is the lawyers who always make the money

I don't watch much TV, so never ran into that. But it certainly sounds as though your interpretation is as you say. Whether one could infer that the American population at large intend to portray themselves in that way, rather than American lawyers portraying themselves that way is not something that automatically follows, in my book.

That said, I was in Florida a few weeks back, and there are numerous billboards at the side of I-75 and the Florida Turnpike doing exactly that. But not nearly so noticeable round here (Tennessee), or in Atlanta, where I still spend quite a bit of time.

If that's the general trend, I don't like it.
I don’t think the American population as a whole wish to sue everyone for everything, but if there wasn’t a grain of truth to it, the adverts would disappear as a non starter. No doubt that it is regional and demographically based, but the funny part is that Georgia is one of the worst for broadcasting the message nation wide through the Atlanta super station. I know to call Ken Nugent if I wish to take on my employer, sue a manufacturer, and so on and so forth if I ever decide to relocate to Georgia, or just passing through.

I don’t think the American population as a whole wish to sue everyone for everything, but if there wasn’t a grain of truth to it, the adverts would disappear as a non starter. No doubt that it is regional and demographically based, but the funny part is that Georgia is one of the worst for broadcasting the message nation wide through the Atlanta super station. I know to call Ken Nugent if I wish to take on my employer, sue a manufacturer, and so on and so forth if I ever decide to relocate to Georgia, or just passing through.
You admit to watching CNN? Fcuking Communist :)

The real news is on Fox :)

Just think of it as the spam in the email folder. You have this rich uncle in some obscure place who wants to will you money, all you have to do is sign up for it. Then send it out to a few million people to get your dorkfish. If you advertise to enough you will catch a few winners. Those people also manage to claim the most media attention while they are at it.

Just think of it as the spam in the email folder. You have this rich uncle in some obscure place who wants to will you money, all you have to do is sign up for it. Then send it out to a few million people to get your dorkfish. If you advertise to enough you will catch a few winners. Those people also manage to claim the most media attention while they are at it.
The only point I’m making is that with all the lawsuit advertising for large unrealistic sums, people see it as a normal thing so when you see people suing for $500 billion,its doesn’t come as a shock.

The only point I’m making is that with all the lawsuit advertising for large unrealistic sums, people see it as a normal thing so when you see people suing for $500 billion,its doesn’t come as a shock.
Aim high, btw you owe me a bottle of Hibiki Special Edition rich uncle. But if you were to get me a bottle of the regular Hibiki for 80 bucks I could settle for that as well... You know being the reasonable asshole that I am!

Aim high, btw you owe me a bottle of Hibiki Special Edition rich uncle. But if you were to get me a bottle of the regular Hibiki for 80 bucks I could settle for that as well... You know being the reasonable asshole that I am!
I have a bottle of Hellbender Bourbon I picked up last time I was in Georgia I can will to you, wasn’t impressed even slightly.....

Peachtree tv is about as far as you can get from cnn, no news whatsoever, just reruns. I stopped watching American news a few years ago when it seemed they couldn’t get off one subject......
Peachtree TV is in the same building, so not very far at all :)

Ted Turner founded quite a few TV stations. TNT, Cartoon Network, Peachtree, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and the Communist News Network. They're all in the CNN Center downtown ATL. Not sure Ted owns them these days, but he founded them.

I'm with you on not watching CNN since Hilary lost to the Donald. It's been a one-trick pony since then; namely "attack Trump at every opportunity". No better than Fox in that regard. It's disappointing that there's no reliable, impartial TV news channel any longer. Seems like a business opportunity to report the facts and let the viewers make their own political commentary. But where would you get impartial reporters? They all seem to be politically indoctrinated one way or the other in university. Commie-pinko sympathizers on CNN, BBC, MSNBC etc, and neo Cons on Fox. Even Reuters leans to the left a little, and has its own agenda (eg their reporters in clink in Burma).

Right that's it. New TV channel. "Factual News Network". FNN :)

Peachtree TV is in the same building, so not very far at all :)

Ted Turner founded quite a few TV stations. TNT, Cartoon Network, Peachtree, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and the Communist News Network. They're all in the CNN Center downtown ATL. Not sure Ted owns them these days, but he founded them.

I'm with you on not watching CNN since Hilary lost to the Donald. It's been a one-trick pony since then; namely "attack Trump at every opportunity". No better than Fox in that regard. It's disappointing that there's no reliable, impartial TV news channel any longer. Seems like a business opportunity to report the facts and let the viewers make their own political commentary. But where would you get impartial reporters? They all seem to be politically indoctrinated one way or the other in university. Commie-pinko sympathizers on CNN, BBC, MSNBC etc, and neo Cons on Fox. Even Reuters leans to the left a little, and has its own agenda (eg their reporters in clink in Burma).

For some strange reason, the big three Nbc/Abc/Cbs all have evening news that can be picked up here, but Fox doesn’t. Only Fox available is the 10 pm local broadcasts which would be great if I gave a shit about never ending house fires in Cheektawaga and Tonawanda, or some b on b killings in Detroit......

Peachtree tv is about as far as you can get from cnn, no news whatsoever, just reruns. I stopped watching American news a few years ago when it seemed they couldn’t get off one subject......
FWIW, there are three TVs in the gym that I use on the air base. One is tuned to ESPN Sports permanently. One is tuned to FOX News channel on a semi-permanent basis. The third one is either tuned to CNN or MSNBC (for those who think Blue.) I find it interesting that CNN or MSNBC seems to be on a permanent mission to badmouth Mr. Trump as it seems like that’s what the majority of the stories they show seem to be about. Lots and lots of coverage of the so-called probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election and the various appearances before Congress of whistle-blowers who swear they have the “real goods” on where the skeletons are buried in the Trump White House, etc. And it all turns out to be so much BS. I don’t watch the news any more because it’s so political. I watch only the ESPN channel when I’m sweating on the treadmill or working on the rower. That’s the only TV that I consider worth my time watching.

I remember a meme I saw that showed Putin and Hillary that said the 2016 election was bought and paid for and still Hillary couldn't get it done.

FWIW, there are three TVs in the gym that I use on the air base. One is tuned to ESPN Sports permanently. One is tuned to FOX News channel on a semi-permanent basis. The third one is either tuned to CNN or MSNBC (for those who think Blue.) I find it interesting that CNN or MSNBC seems to be on a permanent mission to badmouth Mr. Trump as it seems like that’s what the majority of the stories they show seem to be about. Lots and lots of coverage of the so-called probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election and the various appearances before Congress of whistle-blowers who swear they have the “real goods” on where the skeletons are buried in the Trump White House, etc. And it all turns out to be so much BS. I don’t watch the news any more because it’s so political. I watch only the ESPN channel when I’m sweating on the treadmill or working on the rower. That’s the only TV that I consider worth my time watching.

I remember a meme I saw that showed Putin and Hillary that said the 2016 election was bought and paid for and still Hillary couldn't get it done.
I used to enjoy American news as it had more variety due to the simple fact that US broadcasters have more resources to draw from than their Canadian counterparts. Once it became so fixated on the current government, it became a pointless waste of time.

I used to enjoy American news as it had more variety due to the simple fact that US broadcasters have more resources to draw from than their Canadian counterparts. Once it became so fixated on the current government, it became a pointless waste of time.
My local station is a CBS affiliate. Their local news is good, and impartially reported. But they don't cover anything national, they leave that to the network. It's all well and good providing coverage on say local flooding or weather events, school board shenanigans, notable crimes locally, local sport etc, but I wish they'd cover basic national and world news. I'd watch it. Certainly better to hear "US and N Korea talks stalled" than "Trump rebuked by N Korea". Or "Attorney General has resigned" rather than "Blow to Trump Administration as AG resigns". It's tiresome.

I'm looking forward to August, as ESPN2 for one day once again becomes ESPN8 "The Ocho".
'ESPN8: The Ocho' is here: The weird-sports channel from 'Dodgeball' to come alive for a day

Certainly better to hear "US and N Korea talks stalled" than "Trump rebuked by N Korea". Or "Attorney General has resigned" rather than "Blow to Trump Administration as AG resigns". It's tiresome.
Nail. Hammer. Head. :thumright:

Not sure about other regions in Canada, but around here 80% of the television stations picked up are American. You cannot watch one set of commercials without seeing lawyers selling their services either trying to get you to sue for a couple of million for a slip and fall, back, neck injury, etc, or entice you to join a billion dollar class action. Trying to get outrageous sums of money suing is the way Americans potray themselves, so a $500 bn lawsuit just seems par for course........
Here's what a lawyer in Ontario had to say about advertising:
https://www.thomsonrogers.com/wp-co...wmm-personal-injury-advertising-in-canada.pdf
Historically, Canadian lawyers have considered the advertising of legal services to be unseemly or unprofessional. This perspective appears to emanate from the concept that law is a profession, not a trade, and that a professional’s reputation is degraded by ‘hawking his wares.’
Then again it only took the Law Society of Upper Canada about 175 years or so to catch up to the province changing its name twice, and having been Ontario since 1867. I must admit though that "Law Society of Upper Canada" does have a more dignified sound to it than "Law Society of Ontario". I felt a bit sad when that happened a couple of years ago, thinking "there goes another bit of history". They'll start chasing ambulances if they keep on with that sort of attitude.

Even Reuters leans to the left a little, and has its own agenda (eg their reporters in clink in Burma).

It's only human to lean a bit to one side or other (after all, reporter, no matter how objective they want to be, still have some personal opinion) - it should be up to the consumer of the content to figure out the fact from the BS. I like the BBC, and a few other outlets, doesn't mean I blindly swallow every bloody thing they report. You have to separate what's real from what's just clickbait and sensationalism. It's called a bit of critical thinking. And, I am afraid, that's the difference. Once you get into the habit of always listening and seeing "your own thing" you may lose that. And quite a bit of the populace are currently in that trap - left and right.