America - its all a bit odd...

Crimea you say. I don't think the USA would have any of their Armed Forces on holiday in the region, with their weapons because, of course, all Armed Forces personnel throughout the world take their weapons with them on holiday. Tanks, anti aircraft, whatever they choose. Of course the government handily set up ammunition resupply, fuel and rations. No I doubt a Crimea situation would occur outside the former Soviet block.
And no regimental badges.

It is merely an absurd situation. The EU with all its faults effectively erased borders. After Aachen (Germany) we spent night in Belgium. Visited next day Maastricht in Netherlands, Luxemburg and spent nigh in Metz (France).
I don't understand why it is impossible to form something like common market that would include the USA and Canada. It would be mutually profitable.
As it is apparently impossible in the near future then what? Swap of territories. As a result the USA could be given a narrow strip along the lake. Another variant is extraterritorial road toward US enclave.
There is another variant (as in Crimea). After local referendum NW angle would go to Canada.
There is no interest in Canada in changing any borders, and no advantage to Canada in doing so. This is an American problem, and they can deal with it.

If the Americans want to deal with the shopping issue, they can simply change their customs regulations as they apply to that small bit of territory. The fact that the American government can't be bothered to do anything is of course what these people are complaining about.

Talking about America giving up land, I heard a story about the late Duke of Westminster.
When the yanks were in residence at their old embassy in Grosvenor square they more or less demanded that the Duke sold them the freehold as they only had a lease.
He said fine, "as long as you return the land that was confiscated from my ancestors after you kicked us Brits out".
Ok they said we will look into it.
Turns out they weren't so keen upon the idea after discovering that the said tracts of land included among other places Manhattan and most of New York.

Talking about America giving up land, I heard a story about the late Duke of Westminster.
When the yanks were in residence at their old embassy in Grosvenor square they more or less demanded that the Duke sold them the freehold as they only had a lease.
He said fine, "as long as you return the land that was confiscated from my ancestors after you kicked us Brits out".
Ok they said we will look into it.
Turns out they weren't so keen upon the idea after discovering that the said tracts of land included among other places Manhattan and most of New York.
Loads of people had their property confiscated if they didn't profess allegiance to the revolutionary regime. This was one of the levers used by the revolutionary regime to get cooperation from people who didn't otherwise support them. Many of these people who lost property ended up as refugees in Canada and their descendants live there today.

A while ago the Americans were making noises to Canada about property their citizens have lost to other more recent revolutionary regimes and the unjustness of it all, and a Canadian MP brought up the issue of his own ancestors having had their property in New York confiscated without compensation and asked if the recent noises meant the Americans had an change of heart and were going to hand it back or pay compensation. "No, no!' they said, "that was different and we really don't want to talk about it".

It has been estimated that the value of property confiscated without compensation by the American revolutionary regime and owed to the descendants of refugees now in Canada would, with interest, now be worth many trillions of dollars. Needless to say, nobody is holding their breath in anticipation of ever seeing a penny of it.

Last edited:
Loads of people had their property confiscated if they didn't profess allegiance to the revolutionary regime. This was one of the levers used by the revolutionary regime to get cooperation from people who didn't otherwise support them. Many of these people who lost property ended up as refugees in Canada and their descendants live there today.

A while ago the Americans were making noises to Canada about property their citizens have lost to other more recent revolutionary regimes and the unjustness of it all, and a Canadian MP brought up the issue of his own ancestors having had their property in New York confiscated without compensation and asked if the recent noises meant the Americans had an change of heart and were going to hand it back or pay compensation. "No, no!' they said, "that was different and we really don't want to talk about it".

It has been estimated that the value of property confiscated without compensation by the American revolutionary regime and owed to the descendants of refugees now in Canada would, with interest, now be worth many trillions of dollars. Needless to say, nobody is holding their breath in anticipation of ever seeing a penny of it.
I don't even think you could convince Congress to buy you folks the rope to go piss up.

Hurrah - something else we can all blame on America!

'The arrival of Europeans in the Americas left a trail of death in their wake that also triggered a period of climate change, according to a new theory proposed by British scientists. A University College London team estimates that 55 million indigenous people died following the conquest of the Americas that began at the end of the 15th century.

'The majority of these deaths resulted from diseases brought to the new shores by the settlers, which are thought to have wiped out up to 90 per cent of the native population. In the years that followed, war, slavery and societal collapse exacerbated these problems, leaving much of the landmass devoid of people. Apart from the enormous scale of tragedy, this led to 56 million hectares of land previously set aside for farming being abandoned.

'As the land was rapidly reclaimed by trees and vegetation, the plants life sucked such an enormous amount of CO2 from the atmosphere that the Earth cooled.'

American colonisation killed so many people it triggered climate change, study suggests

NOTE: 'America', not the USA.

'The arrival of Europeans in the Americas left a trail of death in their wake that also triggered a period of climate change, according to a new theory proposed by British scientists. A University College London team estimates that 55 million indigenous people died following the conquest of the Americas that began at the end of the 15th century.

'The majority of these deaths resulted from diseases brought to the new shores by the settlers, which are thought to have wiped out up to 90 per cent of the native population. In the years that followed, war, slavery and societal collapse exacerbated these problems, leaving much of the landmass devoid of people. Apart from the enormous scale of tragedy, this led to 56 million hectares of land previously set aside for farming being abandoned.

'As the land was rapidly reclaimed by trees and vegetation, the plants life sucked such an enormous amount of CO2 from the atmosphere that the Earth cooled.'

American colonisation killed so many people it triggered climate change, study suggests

The article mentions the Amazon in passing. At one time it was thought that the Amazon was primeval jungle which had never been touched by human hands, except for a few small primitive tribes. Recent archaeological work however has shown that large areas of it were once farmed and supported a large population. It is believed they died due to diseases unintentionally brought by Europeans. This has completely changed out views on the pre-history of the Americas.

I lived in Massachusetts for a time and it was amazing that in the thickest of woods you often found walls and the remains of old farmhouses. Most people there mow their fledgling forests not grass

I lived in Massachusetts for a time and it was amazing that in the thickest of woods you often found walls and the remains of old farmhouses. Most people there mow their fledgling forests not grass
Many farms in the north-eastern US were abandoned in the latter part of the 19th century due to a combination of industrialisation and a movement of farming westwards as railways were built across their prairies. Many areas of forest there were in fact once farmland.

Many farms in the north-eastern US were abandoned in the latter part of the 19th century due to a combination of industrialisation and a movement of farming westwards as railways were built across their prairies. Many areas of forest there were in fact once farmland.
Huge areas of Georgia & Alabama have reverted back to forest with the demise of the cotton industry. I've seen photo's from before WW2 of places there that I know today & back then it was literally bare cotton fields to the horizon in every direction. now they're starting to harvest timber - much of it grown from dormant or blown/carried in seed rather than planted.

Apparently Atilla The Hun had the same effect a bit earlier.

His Mongol hordes killed so many people the land reverted to nature and the Earth cooled. Deaths estimated at 20-50million but nobody really knows.

I am hatching a plan to control global warming. It starts in places like Rotherham and Luton. It’s a cracker.

WTF! An inverted US mass shooting?

'Five children aged from 12 to 16 have been arrested for the fatal shooting of a US singer, who was gunned down in front of his home.'

Rock star gunned down by kids
More likely a feral gang looking for trouble. They should be given the death penalty because they had weapons illegally and used them to kill the singer, but they probably won't because of their age.Try them as adults and bang them away for life I say; that's the next best thing that could happen to shit like this.

His Mongol hordes killed so many people the land reverted to nature and the Earth cooled. Deaths estimated at 20-50million but nobody really knows.

I am hatching a plan to control global warming. It starts in places like Rotherham and Luton. It’s a cracker.
I'm disappointed that you haven't included High Wycombe and Slough in your headline plan.

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn’t fit for humans now,
There isn’t grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

‘Slough’ by John Betjeman

His Mongol hordes killed so many people the land reverted to nature and the Earth cooled. Deaths estimated at 20-50 million but nobody really knows.
If Attila the HUN [the hint is in the name] had been a Mongol I might bother to check that this is bullshit, but it hardly seems worth the effort.

I'm disappointed that you haven't included High Wycombe and Slough in your headline plan.

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn’t fit for humans now,
There isn’t grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

‘Slough’ by John Betjeman
My plan Is a WIP.

Additional target zones for my New Mongol Horde are welcome.

We will be cool in no time. Think how the polar bears will thank us!

Huge areas of Georgia & Alabama have reverted back to forest with the demise of the cotton industry. I've seen photo's from before WW2 of places there that I know today & back then it was literally bare cotton fields to the horizon in every direction. now they're starting to harvest timber - much of it grown from dormant or blown/carried in seed rather than planted.
My farm is on an old cotton farm. The terraces are still visible in the forested areas now covered in hardwoods. I had the pine harvested before the pine beetles could decimate it..