America - its all a bit odd...

The mrs came out with a cracker last night when talking about Boston. We were having a giggle about how Bostonians bang on about their history and our house is older than the oldest building in Boston so what history? She came out with visiting the national museum of American history in DC was like going to a car boot sale in the UK as it’s full of hairdryers and shite you’d either chuck out or flog for ten bob. Septics put in in a museum and call it history!

Made me laugh anyway.
Went to San Francisco a couple of years ago and whilst paying a visit to the Golden Gate view point got chatting to some bird watchers, one of which was a bit of a history buff. He was telling me and my partner about the WW2 gun batteries and missile sites in the area and then proudly pointed to Fort Point, beneath the bridge on the SF side. "That's really old, it dates back all the way to the 1790s!"
At which point, my partner (who has an active interest in Neolithic Britain) couldn't help but laugh out loud.

What's the saying - in the UK a hundred miles is a long distance and in the US a hundred years is a long time?

The mrs came out with a cracker last night when talking about Boston. We were having a giggle about how Bostonians bang on about their history and our house is older than the oldest building in Boston so what history? She came out with visiting the national museum of American history in DC was like going to a car boot sale in the UK as it’s full of hairdryers and shite you’d either chuck out or flog for ten bob. Septics put in in a museum and call it history!

Made me laugh anyway.

Went to the local pub for some scran this morning. It's 200 years older than the USA.

A petition has been started on the official US government petition site with the objective of having a region separate from the US and join Canada. The signatures so far equate to a quarter of the population who live there.
Give Canada back the Northwest Angle located in MANITOBA. | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

There's more background here: Petition calls for U.S. to give Northwest Angle to Canada | CBC News

The chances of this petition being accepted are of course nil, but the call to "Make america great by correcting this critical survey error" is somewhat amusing.

The area has a previous record of having a segment of the population calling to separate from the US and join Canada. It's mostly a matter of them being very isolated due to the border and feeling unwanted and unloved by their fellow Americans and so throwing tantrums like this is how they attempt to get attention for whatever issue is concerning them at the time.

The area is a small bit of land sandwiched between Ontario, Manitoba, and the US. The geographic oddity is a result of poor maps of the then little known region at the time the border was being negotiated.

Would have put this on the EM thread, except for the nationality of the idiots with firearms and the 'mentality' of US gun culture.

'A policeman has been charged with involuntary manslaughter after he shot and killed a fellow officer during a gun game that went horribly wrong. Authorities say the officers, Nathaniel Hendren, 29, and Katlyn Alix, 24, were playing with their firearms when she was shot.'

Police shot and killed female colleague while playing with gun

Would have put this on the EM thread, except for the nationality of the idiots with firearms and the 'mentality' of US gun culture.

'A policeman has been charged with involuntary manslaughter after he shot and killed a fellow officer during a gun game that went horribly wrong. Authorities say the officers, Nathaniel Hendren, 29, and Katlyn Alix, 24, were playing with their firearms when she was shot.'

Police shot and killed female colleague while playing with gun
To be fair, the RAF Regt have done similar.

I worked as a Technical Illustrator and one of the firm's bosses who was also a Churchwarden gave me an old scrappy document whereon was listed the vicars dating back prior to the Norman conquest; he asked me as a favour to render this record in Old English text and framed to hang up in Church for posterity. A couple of years subsequently my immediate dept manager went to the US head office and as a "jolly" took him to Abe Lincoln's birthplace, a national shrine. When questioned whether he felt a certain sanctity and reverence for the place and it's historical connotation and age, he tactfully told them of a list of vicars in a local church back home dating before America was even discovered; not discounting the stories of the Vikings who may have done so.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Since you guys refuse to give back Gibraltar or NI or the Falklands why would you expect the USA to willingly give up its land?
It does not seem to be the British trying to take it back again.

Since you guys refuse to give back Gibraltar or NI or the Falklands why would you expect the USA to willingly give up its land?
Nobody outside the US is asking for the Northwest Angle "back". Nobody in Canada cares, and many (if not most) don't even know the place exists. It's a group of Americans who want to separate from the US and join Canada because they feel isolated from and neglected by the US.

I worked as a Technical Illustrator and one of the firm's bosses who was also a Churchwarden gave me an old scrappy document whereon was listed the vicars dating back prior to the Norman conquest; he asked me as a favour to render this record in Old English text and framed to hang up in Church for posterity. A couple of years subsequently my immediate dept manager went to the US head office and as a "jolly" took him to Abe Lincoln's birthplace, a national shrine. When questioned whether he felt a certain sanctity and reverence for the place and it's historical connotation and age, he tactfully told them of a list of vicars in a local church back home dating before America was even discovered; not discounting the stories of the Vikings who may have done so.
With regards to the "Vikings" (more accurately "Norsemen", as Viking is more of a job description than a nationality), you can visit the remains of one of their settlements in Canada. Their presence here more than a thousand years ago is unquestionable fact backed up by solid archaeological evidence.
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/nl/meadows
At the tip of Newfoundland’s Great Northern Peninsula lies the first known evidence of European presence in the Americas. Here Norse expeditions sailed from Greenland, building a small encampment of timber-and-sod buildings over 1000 years ago Against a stunning backdrop of rugged cliffs, bog, and coastline, discover the fascinating archaeological remains of the Viking encampment, declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1978.

Nobody outside the US is asking for the Northwest Angle "back". Nobody in Canada cares, and many (if not most) don't even know the place exists. It's a group of Americans who want to separate from the US and join Canada because they feel isolated from and neglected by the US.
There is a simple and practical solution. The US citizens who live in the Northwest Angle could apply to second Canadian citizenship and then cross the border in any direction without problem. Also they could use mainly Canadian dollar. So they could visit nearby Canadian shops and buy goods there.

The difference being the majority of people in Gibraltar, NI and the Falklands want those territories to stay under the wing of the United Kingdom.

There is a simple and practical solution. The US citizens who live in the Northwest Angle could apply to second Canadian citizenship and then cross the border in any direction without problem. Also they could use mainly Canadian dollar. So they could visit nearby Canadian shops and buy goods there.
As we would now seem to have back, the eminently sensible @KGB_resident . . . . it might be time for me to take that call-sign OFF “Ignore” ;) .

Unfortunately, not so simple and/or practical, due in part to the US Customs regulations. For instance, the inhabitants of the NWA would not be able to buy meat or plants in Canada and bring it back.

Their problems are related to customs and residency, not immigration or citizenship. As mentioned above by Grey_Mafia65, you can't just bring most fresh food across the border from Canada into the US, not even a sandwich or piece of fruit for your lunch, it's not allowed.

Other non-grocery shopping they can buy in Canada and bring home, but either it would have to be below their personal exemption limit or they would have to pay import duty on it.

Edit to add: The customs point is monitored electronically, and is unmanned. I don't know if it's even possible for them to import anything there that didn't originate in the US as the US customs system may not be set up to collect duty there.

Last edited:
Their problems are related to customs and residency, not immigration or citizenship. Ask mentioned above by Grey_Mafia65, you can't just bring most fresh food across the border from Canada into the US, not even a sandwich or piece of fruit for your lunch, it's not allowed.

Other non-grocery shopping they can buy in Canada and bring home, but either it would have to be below their personal exemption limit or they would have to pay import duty on it.

Edit to add: The customs point is monitored electronically, and is unmanned. I don't know if it's even possible for them to import anything there that didn't originate in the US as the US customs system may not be set up to collect duty there.
It is merely an absurd situation. The EU with all its faults effectively erased borders. After Aachen (Germany) we spent night in Belgium. Visited next day Maastricht in Netherlands, Luxemburg and spent nigh in Metz (France).
I don't understand why it is impossible to form something like common market that would include the USA and Canada. It would be mutually profitable.
As it is apparently impossible in the near future then what? Swap of territories. As a result the USA could be given a narrow strip along the lake. Another variant is extraterritorial road toward US enclave.
There is another variant (as in Crimea). After local referendum NW angle would go to Canada.

Last edited:
There is another variant (as in Crimea). After local referendum NW angle would go to Canada.
Crimea you say. I don't think the USA would have any of their Armed Forces on holiday in the region, with their weapons because, of course, all Armed Forces personnel throughout the world take their weapons with them on holiday. Tanks, anti aircraft, whatever they choose. Of course the government handily set up ammunition resupply, fuel and rations. No I doubt a Crimea situation would occur outside the former Soviet block.