America - its all a bit odd...

Exactly three years in my father’s case. Two years National Service, 35 years a Sapper and croaked at 62.

Went to the Registry Office in Wisbech to register his death. Registrar asked if he had a services pension. I said yes. She said “Right, I will have that stopped immediately”. I wanted to smack her in the mouth but merely asked her if she was off sick when they ran the sympathy lessons.
It sounds bad & i guess her tone was wrong but having it stopped ASAP can save problems later, with the amount overpaid being claimed back.
As executor for my mate's estate, I had to get his pension overpayment back to the DWP which wasn't an issue but it can be if someone doesn't grasp that the money will be reclaimed & they go & spend it.

Our prescription costs are also fixed. Each item on a prescription costs £8.80. You can buy a 3 month prepayment certificate for £29.10 and one valid for a year for £104. If you're under 16, over 60 or have one of variety of chronic diseases (diabetes etc.) prescriptions are free.
Or if you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland

As bad as this sounds, Government employees tend to deal with far to many people to get emotionally invested. Granted tact is appropriate in some cases.
I get that Jonesy.

But face to face FFS? Maybe online or by phone.

I wasn’t expecting a sympathy BJ (although that might have lessened the blow, so to speak).

I get that Jonesy.

But face to face FFS? Maybe online or by phone.

I wasn’t expecting a sympathy BJ (although that might have lessened the blow, so to speak).

It does take some skill to screw up a face to face chat, some people are just devoid of couth. But I do know what you went through as I had to help out my MIL with the death of her father a few years ago. Government employees world wide can be massive bellends, even in rural shitstain North Carolina.

Luckily the people in my club are all law breaking feck ups so no sympathy is given for that crowd.

It does take some skill to screw up a face to face chat, some people are just devoid of couth. But I do know what you went through as I had to help out my MIL with the death of her father a few years ago. Government employees world wide can be massive bellends, even in rural shitstain North Carolina.

Luckily the people in my club are all law breaking feck ups so no sympathy is given for that crowd.
Mind you, the bereaved can be arrseholes as well.

After the registrar my brother and I went to the undertaker to arrange to have the old man burnt.

Mr Sombre looked a bit taken aback when I asked him if we could get a discount because we were orphans.

Mind you, the bereaved can be arrseholes as well.

After the registrar my brother and I went to the undertaker to arrange to have the old man burnt.

Mr Sombre looked a bit taken aback when I asked him if we could get a discount because we were orphans.
Truth in that statement. But in some circumstances I have more patience for people than what I normally would.

Exactly three years in my father’s case. Two years National Service, 35 years a Sapper and croaked at 62.

Went to the Registry Office in Wisbech to register his death. Registrar asked if he had a services pension. I said yes. She said “Right, I will have that stopped immediately”. I wanted to smack her in the mouth but merely asked her if she was off sick when they ran the sympathy lessons.
I know this is not good, but it is a reality. At one point in my army career I used to have take my turn as duty officer for the whole of BFG. In the SOPs there was a section on death and cas notification, which included the format of the signals to be released and the addressees. The first signal to be released was to the Army Pay Centre (Or whatever it was called then), which, I assume, stopped the soldier's pay at that point.

The positive side of stopping pay and pensions on death is that it prevents a bill from being presented several months later for repayment of the monies, and thoughts of "I've just lost my Dad/Husband/Son and now you cnuts are sending me a bill for his salary/pension".

The positive side of stopping pay and pensions on death is that it prevents a bill from being presented several months later for repayment of the monies, and thoughts of "I've just lost my Dad/Husband/Son and now you cnuts are sending me a bill for his salary/pension".
That makes sense but you would think some kind of grace period would be in order.

That makes sense but you would think some kind of grace period would be in order.
Agreed, I have no idea when the pay actually does stop. Maybe it's immediate and the pension death benefits pay out immediately. Just as much as you can't be billing widows for repayment of salary, you can't leave them destitute within a month of the husband dying. But thinking about it, squaddies are paid daily. The day a squaddie pops his clogs, he's not accruing any more days. So my money is on the pension death benefits.

Agreed, I have no idea when the pay actually does stop. Maybe it's immediate and the pension death benefits pay out immediately. Just as much as you can't be billing widows for repayment of salary, you can't leave them destitute within a month of the husband dying. But thinking about it, squaddies are paid daily. The day a squaddie pops his clogs, he's not accruing any more days. So my money is on the pension death benefits.
The state pension stops on death. Spouses may be entitled to some of the pension based on the deceased's NI payments.
Army pension stops on death but the surviving spouse (or partner etc) gets 50% of the payments from that day.
Oddly, my NHS pension continues to be paid to my missus for 3 months or 6 months if we had a dependent child. She then gets 50% of it after that.

I encountered a bus load of Amish in the grand canyon visitor center once.
All blokes, and wearing black cheap suits in very warm temperatures.
They reminded me of the Hassidic jewish people that flock together in my part of London.
The smell of mothballs was overwhelming.
Wierd bunch of people.

Depends on your DOB.

It was 60 for women and 65 for men.

Osbourne moved it all up. My pensionable age is now 65 years 8 months.

I know women younger than me whose pensionable age is 68.

And Osbourne has not yet been dangled from a lamppost. Shame.
My pension age is 67, and it was moved long before Osbourne. The age increase was started in 1995.

The closer you are to the Holy land (Utah) the more zealous they are. I don’t like how they treat their young women. They send them to college (finishing school) to marry a missionary and start pooping out kids early. My best mate in high school turned into an utter douche when he was on his mission, came home got hitched at 21 and popped out three kids he was not ready for. He was divorced at 27 and the same with both his sisters.

Besides Wyoming fans hate BYU and CSU. We have an image to maintain.
He married and divorced both his sisters?