America - its all a bit odd...

In addition to what Ljonesy said, note the fourth category category of "sick day" that he touched on.

Companies in America are ridiculously stingy on vacation days by European standards. I'm currently working at a multinational where I can check the HR website and see that if I worked for them in the UK I'd start with 27 vacation days. In the US? Just 12 (though I'm currently on 19 which is getting some way towards being civilized, and not so bad considering the company gives Christmas Eve to New Year as well as sundry other holidays).
I can attest to this. I am a U.S. to UK transplant and I was amazed how much vaca I got when I moved over. While I was getting 12 (started at 10) back in the U.S., the same company gave me 25 days + public which meant a **** ton of hols for me. I actually lost a few the first year or two as I didn't plan well enough as I wasn't used to having so many hols!

Though, the pay is better for the same positions in the U.S., compared to UK/ EU colleagues. Depends on your priorities etc.

I can attest to this. I am a U.S. to UK transplant and I was amazed how much vaca I got when I moved over. While I was getting 12 (started at 10) back in the U.S., the same company gave me 25 days + public which meant a **** ton of hols for me. I actually lost a few the first year or two as I didn't plan well enough as I wasn't used to having so many hols!

Though, the pay is better for the same positions in the U.S., compared to UK/ EU colleagues. Depends on your priorities etc.
The company I work for are heading out to the US next year top open offices. The big debate is do we offer the same holiday terms to US employees that we do in the UK. The firm is pretty progressing with 27 days leave (excluding public holidays), flexible working and they are considering offering 'unlimited leave', which si you take what you need.

Be interesting to see how they get on

The company I work for are heading out to the US next year top open offices. The big debate is do we offer the same holiday terms to US employees that we do in the UK. The firm is pretty progressing with 27 days leave (excluding public holidays), flexible working and they are considering offering 'unlimited leave', which si you take what you need.

Be interesting to see how they get on
Depends. If the firm is an IT/SW/ Tech company they have to match the competitors, so a lot of vaca/"unlimited" hols is expected if they want to recruit the brightest, as pretty much most companies in that space offer them - not that many people actually take it or abuse it.

If it's a "normal" firm, even offering a bit more than the usual U.S. norm of 12-ish(initial) could be a big talking point.

At my old firm, they "suggested" that we don't really bring up the topic of hols/ pay differences between different regions.

The very broad tradeoff I see is that if you're working in EU/UK you get good vaca but less pay (sometimes, significantly less so - but you do have a safety net here if job goes tits up) vs. US where the vaca in most firms is shit, but you get higher pay (a lot higher in some cases) but no social net.

Depends. If the firm is an IT/SW/ Tech company they have to match the competitors, so a lot of vaca/"unlimited" hols is expected if they want to recruit the brightest, as pretty much most companies in that space offer them - not that many people actually take it or abuse it.

If it's a "normal" firm, even offering a bit more than the usual U.S. norm of 12-ish(initial) could be a big talking point.

At my old firm, they "suggested" that we don't really bring up the topic of hols/ pay differences between different regions.

The very broad tradeoff I see is that if you're working in EU/UK you get good vaca but less pay (sometimes, significantly less so - but you do have a safety net here if job goes tits up) vs. US where the vaca in most firms is shit, but you get higher pay (a lot higher in some cases) but no social net.
its tech

I work for an American Investment Bank - UK based.

As per Redshift's post # 5401, our T & C's are as per the EU Directive on Working Time and our American Colleagues who are based here for 2 years or so, get these as part of the package.

33 days leave (I've also bought 5 days extra)
8 public holidays
6 months paid sick leave

I love my job :)

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
33 days leave (I've also bought 5 days extra)
8 public holidays
6 months paid sick leave

I love my job :)
You're not working anyway.

How many more weeks?

Meh...I will be alright...but having to cut down on blow and hookers is a bit hard.
Are you sticking with London or looking elsewhere as well?

I have been stuck with my current employer ( incarcerated) is the better term for more than 11 years. All because they offer decent health insurance, a retirement plan, and job security. Which are pretty scarce in the private sector. Now the pay is not so great but the benefits at this point make up for it.
I remember you writing on another thread that you're generally anti universal or single-payer healthcare. What you have expressed above is a really great illustration of a hugely negative effect of the current US system. You are stuck in a job you don't particularly like because your health is dependent on the goodwill of your employer - as you're in a government job I guess at least you probably can't be fired on a whim. This all goes away if you have a properly designed single payer system that is not tied to your job. (the ACA doesn't count, particularly after the GOP fúcked with it)

Just a thought!

I work in the UK for a US company ànd can honestly ay they are a brilliant employer except for sick days. We don't get aný and if you're off work long time you are realy in the shit. Couple of years ago mate went to the doctors about his headaches, long story short he found out he has an inoperable brain tumour. All the people on the shop floor had a collection for him each month so his wife çould pay the mortgage as he got nothing from the company and ssp was next to nothing. This lasted about 6 months and the doctors informed him that there was nothing else they could do for him and put him on the countdown timer, at least this meant some of his life insurance paid out in advance.
I just can't understand it they are a fantastic company to work for except for their attitude to sick leave.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
When I worked in Houston, I was on a local contract - so about 12 days holiday - one of my French colleagues who was there at the same time (same arrival date, same departure) was on an expat contract, so had the usual French shitload of holidays, and every second Friday off. As he hadn't taken his Fridays off for about the first year, he ended up taking 3 weeks additional leave to cover it. Our US colleagues were less than amused.

Are you sticking with London or looking elsewhere as well?
For now, yes - that's where most of my relevant roles are in the UK anyways. But keeping my options open. Was pretty certain I would've started something by end of next week, but that final face2face got yanked to next year. Waiting on a few others.

For now, yes - that's where most of my relevant roles are in the UK anyways. But keeping my options open. Was pretty certain I would've started something by end of next week, but that final face2face got yanked to next year. Waiting on a few others.
Fingers crossed, mate.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer