America - its all a bit odd...

I've come up against the grand total of two ICE arrseholes in all the time I've been coming over to the US. One at Chicago & one at Atlanta.
Atlanta.....all that needed to be said. And my home airport unfortunately.

Sports is a big deal to the American colleges, most of the time I think they are more interested in sporting achievement than academic achievement.

US colleges go around actively trying to score the best kids from high school teams in many sports and offer them a variety of deals. The basic deal seems to be fee's paid, moving up through fee's and housing paid, to fee's, housing and a car provided, along with expenses for sporting acitivities to the ultimate which seem's to be all of the previous plus offering "paid employment" to their mum or dad - a backhanded way of giving them money whilst maintaining amateur status. However, 99% of kids at college and university have to pay the fee's.

Remember that you're dealing with someone so retarded they've ended up working in airport security?

In a few cases like Greensboro you would be correct. However in the middle of BFE Government jobs can pay pretty decently, and it is employment.

I have been stuck with my current employer ( incarcerated) is the better term for more than 11 years. All because they offer decent health insurance, a retirement plan, and job security. Which are pretty scarce in the private sector. Now the pay is not so great but the benefits at this point make up for it. I also get 9 Holidays and a few extra freebie days and 18 vacation days a year, which the private sector around here can’t offer. My wife has to use her paid time off for all holidays.

She also does not have 50 K in her retirement accounts either. For a 35 year old with a family I can’t say I am doing to poorly.

I recently returned from the land of the free; Boston was the place. One eveneing found myself in a bar / resteraunt looking to get evening meal and a few glasses of wine. I perused the menu and asked if i could get a bottle of Merlot and a large mineral water while i chose the scoff. The waitress disappeared. 10 mins later she re appeared with said water but without wine.
Her "My boss says i cant serve you a bottle of wine"
Me " But you offer wine 'by the bottle' on the menu"
Her "Yes but that is for people to share"
Me "My Mucker will be here in a bit he may have some"
Her "Sorry, by the glass only"

So i had about 5 glasses over 3.5 hours and paid a premium for it.
This is in a state where they recently voted to legalise weed FFS.

Fukcing mental.

Holidays are as you would expect. 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc. I get paid for 9 of them and don’t have to show up.

The day after Thanksgiving is normally given to us as a gift from the governor. We have to rotate who works it but we are given 8 hours of Administrative leave to use and we are not charged for it. We also have local holidays where we don’t have to go in. Granted we do have minimum staffing requirements so we end up rotating working these days. If you have to work you get it take another day off at your choosing.

We also get the once in a blue moon snow days. This also depends on your reporting status, I rank right up their with HP, and snow plow drivers. I am expected to make it in to work come hell or high water.

I get 12 hours of annual leave a month. I can use my vacation days as long as they are approved by the boss. In another three years I will start to accrue 14 hours.
We also earn 8 hours of sick leave a month as well.

Last edited:
Atlanta.....all that needed to be said. And my home airport unfortunately.
Funny thing but apart from that one muppet, the rest have been anywhere from professional to downright friendly.
Thanks to having Global Entry, I'm through Immigration there in two minutes flat these days but that usually means I then get to hang around longer waiting for my hold luggage

Last edited:
Why? Notionally the only place medical care possibly free at point of delivery is the UK (though some other countries stretch to this), that is care ie. if you are involved in a vehicle accident, or fall and break something - they will generally issue a bill and then not expect it to be paid. However, planned treatment, or a procedure is something different, for that you can pop over, get cut and fettled, pay the agreed sum and be on your way.

I have an American friend, a lady, who went on holiday to Greece to visit long lost relatives. She fell off the back of a motorcycle and ended up in hospital for 6 weeks. She told me that every day she was laying in bed she was expecting them to come along to the room and ask her to sign away her earnings for the rest of her life. On the day of her discharge from hospital they wheeled her along the corridor in a wheelchair and she thought, "this is it, off to the office and I'll be given the bill and asked for my creditcard". Nope, they took her out to a taxi, hugs and kisses, bade her farewell and she was not billed one penny/cent/drachma/euro.

Just like I did. And the cost was 10% of that quoted to me in the US, the total 3 week jolly was significantly less than my co-pay would have been in the US - and done by a more experienced and procedurally up to date Doc.
I assume you have health insurance in the US, can you use that insurance to pay for treatment or a proceedure in a different country if that is your choice, or do they give you a list of approved US hospitals that can offer treatment.

I assume you have health insurance in the US, can you use that insurance to pay for treatment or a proceedure in a different country if that is your choice, or do they give you a list of approved US hospitals that can offer treatment.
Treatment in a foreign country is most definitely considered out of network.....I would have to check but I think the answer would be....go feck a pineapple.

I recently returned from the land of the free; Boston was the place. One eveneing found myself in a bar / resteraunt looking to get evening meal and a few glasses of wine. I perused the menu and asked if i could get a bottle of Merlot and a large mineral water while i chose the scoff. The waitress disappeared. 10 mins later she re appeared with said water but without wine.
Her "My boss says i cant serve you a bottle of wine"
Me " But you offer wine 'by the bottle' on the menu"
Her "Yes but that is for people to share"
Me "My Mucker will be here in a bit he may have some"
Her "Sorry, by the glass only"

So i had about 5 glasses over 3.5 hours and paid a premium for it.
This is in a state where they recently voted to legalise weed FFS.

Fukcing mental.
That's, as you so kindly put it, f ed up.

Funny thing but apart frost meansat jum that one muppet, the rest have been anywhere from professional to downright friendly.
Thanks to having Global Entry, I'm through Immigration there in two minutes flat these days but that usually means I then get to hang around longer waiting for my hold luggage
GE (and other schemes like it) is great, but as you say, you end up spending hanging out near the luggage carrousel, if you have checked in luggage. Still, I'd rather do this than wait in the entry lines.

Can you explain the difference between holidays, freebie days and vacation days please.
In addition to what Ljonesy said, note the fourth category category of "sick day" that he touched on.

Companies in America are ridiculously stingy on vacation days by European standards. I'm currently working at a multinational where I can check the HR website and see that if I worked for them in the UK I'd start with 27 vacation days. In the US? Just 12 (though I'm currently on 19 which is getting some way towards being civilized, and not so bad considering the company gives Christmas Eve to New Year as well as sundry other holidays).

The end result is the widespread use of sick leave for "mental health days", which inevitably means that Americans typically don't get given much sick leave. If you do fall seriously ill during your first year or two on a job, you'll likely run out of sick pay. My company is probably generous in matching Ljonesy at one day of sick leave per month worked. If you don't use it, it accumulates up to some maximum, in my case 30 days. If you're genuinely ill and run out of sick days, if you're lucky you get to go on some kind of company paid short term disability on reduced pay. If you're unlucky the company stops paying you. I think the only legal protection you have is that companies must allow you to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid medical leave while keeping your job open for you to return to when and if you recover.

I really don't like the way things are set up to almost encourage abuse of sick pay and have avoided it myself, but I can see why it happens.