America - its all a bit odd...

I'm mystified. The books on the list that I have read, I read when I was at school - except for Mockingbird which was my son's GCE book. Who is doing the banning? (Tweet wouldn't come on). Steinbeck? Huxley? Madness.
I imagine (although the link doesn't clarify) that a lot of the books on the list are banned from religious school libraries and the like.

I imagine (although the link doesn't clarify) that a lot of the books on the list are banned from religious school libraries and the like.
Yes the private religious schools will restrict quite a bit. Harry Potter is the devil etc etc. Sometimes going to public school is a blessing in disguise, the private school kids tend to look like a fish out of water when they are thrown into the real world!

Yes the private religious schools will restrict quite a bit. Harry Potter is the devil etc etc. Sometimes going to public school is a blessing in disguise, the private school kids tend to look like a fish out of water when they are thrown into the real world!
Also banned in some English religious schools as well.
St Mary's in Chatham, Kent and :
Head teacher Carol Rockwood explained that "The Bible is very clear and consistent in its teachings that wizards, devils and demons exist and are very real, powerful and dangerous and God's people are told to have nothing to do with them."
So not just one sky fairy they believe in, then.

Head teacher Carol Rockwood explained that "The Bible is very clear and consistent in its teachings that wizards, devils and demons exist and are very real, powerful and dangerous and God's people are told to have nothing to do with them."
I can understand teaching that the practice of witchcraft is not ok. But reading a series of fecking books about the subject is a bit over the top. I mean for FFS, you one has to be able to teach the youth that eventually when you are released into the wild, you are going to deal with folks from all walks of life. You don't have to agree with everybody else's ideas but you still have to be able to work with them to accomplish things.

When I was 16, I attended a Catholic-run school in the UK. One of my classmates told me and a friend off for reading the horoscopes in a teen magazine as they were "the devil's work".

I can understand teaching that the practice of witchcraft is not ok. But reading a series of fecking books about the subject is a bit over the top. I mean for FFS, you one has to be able to teach the youth that eventually when you are released into the wild, you are going to deal with folks from all walks of life. You don't have to agree with everybody else's ideas but you still have to be able to work with them to accomplish things.
Of course, now the heresy is believing (much less actually communicating) in anything "conservative" that is most widely verboten in academe and certain other segments of post-modern American society.

Of course, now the heresy is believing (much less actually communicating) in anything "conservative" that is most widely verboten in academe and certain other segments of post-modern American society.
He's a "Redneck" Burn him! Oh wait he has the guns..............

Oh trust me, the poor Liberals who come out here are in culture shock. It is rather funny to see them reach for the Holy Water...fecking hypocrites.