• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

America - its all a bit odd...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
We were on a bus trip through Costa Rica and got attached to by a family from N Carolina. By the time we'd got to our destination, I knew all about his job, how much he was paid, what number marriage he was on, what his kids did and which kids had stayed with him and which ones had followed his ex wives.
I think all he got from me was my name and where we were from and no, we hadn't personally met the Queen nor did I know a friend of his who lived somewhere in London.
You're right, pretty disconcerting considering the trip was less than an hour.
That's because the Yanks love nothing like more than the sound of their own voices, I'm surprised that you got a word in!

I hope very much to visit your state within the next 5 years, in planning stages of a road trip that will start in Montana, take in the Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Arizona (not necessarily in that order) and end in the Black Rock desert, Nevada (Burning Man). Just need the money and the time!
Make a detour & visit Chaco Canyon in NM.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I hope very much to visit your state within the next 5 years, in planning stages of a road trip that will start in Montana, take in the Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Arizona (not necessarily in that order) and end in the Black Rock desert, Nevada (Burning Man). Just need the money and the time!

I do hope you get to! Sadly enough time and money dictate way to much in life anymore..

We were on a bus trip through Costa Rica and got attached to by a family from N Carolina. By the time we'd got to our destination, I knew all about his job, how much he was paid, what number marriage he was on, what his kids did and which kids had stayed with him and which ones had followed his ex wives.
I think all he got from me was my name and where we were from and no, we hadn't personally met the Queen nor did I know a friend of his who lived somewhere in London.
You're right, pretty disconcerting considering the trip was less than an hour.
I must confess you sound like a right miserable tight-lipped cnut. I hope I never get you as a seat mate when I take my next overseas flight. :grin:

In Texas, I found that most people could kill me with kindness.

Then shoot me with high calibre handguns just to make sure.
Handguns?! I was offered belt-fed when I went to return the Barrett .50 I rented the last time I was in Texas!

That's because the Yanks love nothing like more than the sound of their own voices, I'm surprised that you got a word in!
I have worked with all manner of spams from all walks of life and I have never experienced this. Perhaps you have been unlucky. There are knobs on both sides of the Atlantic and beyond.

I spent most of my childhood in foreign countries, attending local public schools, and learned quickly that picking up the local accent was a good way of avoiding undue attention. I was in the US school system on and off for a total of 7 years (grades 2-8 and 12), so yeah, I do a pretty good US accent, although not regionalised. ARRSErs who have met me (@Joker62 , @wheel , @CrashTestDummy ) will attest that my English accent is pretty generic as well.
It seemed so in Chesterfield library . . .

I thought it just meant you were/are intelligent ;) .

Last edited:
Not all of them, true. There are Quiet Americans too. But among the rest, the volume thing is quite an issue too. My sister-in-law from California is quite well-travelled but on one of her early trips to the UK we were at the front of a bus, and loud and clear from right at the back came American voices twice as loud as everybody else and cutting through the background noise of other conversations like a hot knife etc. To her credit she turned to us with a look of utter horror and whispered "oh my God, is that what we sound like?!?" and thenceforth attenuated when out in public.