• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

America - its all a bit odd...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
So to get back on topic, a Q for the Americans on here. In England we think everyone down South is unwilling to have a chat e.g. on a bus with a complete stranger, while up North we'll cheerfully talk to anyone we're sat next to. Does this divide exist in the US and if so is it East-West, North-South....
It does actually. People on the East coast, are a lot more like those down south. West coasters in general tend to be a bit more friendly in my experience.

Northerners, especially the ones on the east side of the U.S. think southerners on the east coast as uncultured rednecks.

Southerners are friendly too, especially if you're white. ;)

There a whole variety of other things but this is a very generalized version of it.

It does actually. People on the East coast, are a lot more like those down south. West coasters in general tend to be a bit more friendly in my experience.

Northerners, especially the ones on the east side of the U.S. think southerners on the east coast as uncultured rednecks.

Southerners are friendly too, especially if you're white. ;)

There a whole variety of other things but this is a very generalized version of it.
Yep, this is pretty much my experience. North-Easterners (the original 13 states) tend to be most stand-offish, even surly. The further south and/or west you go from there, the friendlier they get. We got quite a lot of San Franciscans talking to us uninvited (but they were also talking to themselves, shouting at lampposts, etc). Alaskans were very helpful, I think there it's because it's basically humans vs nature and they realise it's strength in numbers (I see a similar attitude in the Scottish Highlands and Islands).

To be fair you have a point, and I live in an area that is infested with some genuine celebs and lots of wannabies.
As a rule I and most of the locals make a point of not acknowledging them, and I think that that is what has attracted them to the area over the years, that and the lovely houses and heathland that we have on our doorstep.
However over a period of a few months we were regularly perusing the reds in our local oddbins at the same time and just a polite suggestion such as "I had a bottle of that Malbec the other night and it was rather good".
Often resulted in a harrumph and shrug of the shoulders and him picking another bottle.
First world problems.
Where you live sounds like a bowl of muesli, full of flakes, fruits and nuts.

Yep, this is pretty much my experience. North-Easterners (the original 13 states) tend to be most stand-offish, even surly. The further south and/or west you go from there, the friendlier they get. We got quite a lot of San Franciscans talking to us uninvited (but they were also talking to themselves, shouting at lampposts, etc). Alaskans were very helpful, I think there it's because it's basically humans vs nature and they realise it's strength in numbers (I see a similar attitude in the Scottish Highlands and Islands).

The New England States and other Blue States on the East coast tend to have some of the most standoffish people. Granted their are exceptions everywhere.

It tends to be very friendly and polite here as long as you are not being a mong. Then again people tend to be a bit more laid back out here, and not so uptight. Hell I can kill 95 percent of you with kindness.

Civilised and Scottish. Two words that should never be used together on the grounds of truth and accuracy.
They were consciously put together on the grounds of both truth and accuracy. If it was only the Scottish Enlightenment that brought you swamp dwellers kicking and screaming out of the dark ages.

The New England States and other Blue States on the East coast tend to have some of the most standoffish people. Granted their are exceptions everywhere.

It tends to be very friendly and polite here as long as you are not being a mong. Then again people tend to be a bit more laid back out here, and not so uptight. Hell I can kill 95 percent of you with kindness.
In Texas, I found that most people could kill me with kindness.

Then shoot me with high calibre handguns just to make sure.

I can't speak for Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina, but as a Georgian, I must protest being considered in the same sentence with "northeastern" colonies/states.
Apologies! :)

I hope very much to visit your state within the next 5 years, in planning stages of a road trip that will start in Montana, take in the Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Arizona (not necessarily in that order) and end in the Black Rock desert, Nevada (Burning Man). Just need the money and the time!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Here in the South of the USA, Va they are very friendly, embarrassingly so in all honesty. Within five minutes of meeting you, you have all the info you really didn't need to know about them, their family and their neighbours. It's all a bit disconcerting the first time for a Brit like me.

Here in the South of the USA, Va they are very friendly, embarrassingly so in all honesty. Within five minutes of meeting you, you have all the info you really didn't need to know about them, their family and their neighbours. It's all a bit disconcerting the first time for a Brit like me.
Whereabouts in VA are you based?

I hope very much to visit your state within the next 5 years, in planning stages of a road trip that will start in Montana, take in the Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Arizona (not necessarily in that order) and end in the Black Rock desert, Nevada (Burning Man). Just need the money and the time!
I would love to Burning Man once. I got a chance to go there a couple of years ago, but a week before I was sick as a dog and had to skip it.

I would love to Burning Man once. I got a chance to go there a couple of years ago, but a week before I was sick as a dog and had to skip it.
I've got a friend who is with the Flaming Lotus Girls, and exhibits every year. It looks amazing and I can't wait to go.

We were on a bus trip through Costa Rica and got attached to by a family from N Carolina. By the time we'd got to our destination, I knew all about his job, how much he was paid, what number marriage he was on, what his kids did and which kids had stayed with him and which ones had followed his ex wives.
I think all he got from me was my name and where we were from and no, we hadn't personally met the Queen nor did I know a friend of his who lived somewhere in London.
You're right, pretty disconcerting considering the trip was less than an hour.