America - its all a bit odd...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fun fact: France suffered more military casualties during WW1 than the USA has suffered ever.
Second fun fact : more Americans died killing each other at the Battle of Antietam than in the whole of the Normandy campaign. Funny how Spielberg hasn't made a film yet....

Even before that, Blackadder

<kneels with respect>
Plus several seasons of Jeeves and Wooster where Laurie was wonderful for the role.
My former wife was recently doing a bit of housecleaning and asked if I wanted the complete Jeeves and Wooster series on DVD. Naturally I accepted.

He really did do a great job on the American accent in his house role.

Plus several seasons of Jeeves and Wooster where Laurie was wonderful for the role.
My former wife was recently doing a bit of housecleaning and asked if I wanted the complete Jeeves and Wooster series on DVD. Naturally I accepted.

He really did do a great job on the American accent in his house role.
He is a man of many talents. He could play an empty-headed aristo with the plummy accent and the hard-bitten doctor with a gammy leg and an attitude problem with equal aplomb. I liked him in both. (Even Stephen Fry, that old fruit, was good as Jeeves.) ;-)

He is a man of many talents. He could play an empty-headed aristo with the plummy accent and the hard-bitten doctor with a gammy leg and an attitude problem with equal aplomb. I liked him in both. (Even Stephen Fry, that old fruit, was good as Jeeves.) ;-)

Yeah, he was asking for it by shooting Speckled Jim. :-D The firing party that turned up at Blackadder's cell was a hoot as well.
"We aim to please " :)

Second fun fact : more Americans died killing each other at the Battle of Antietam than in the whole of the Normandy campaign. Funny how Spielberg hasn't made a film yet....
Battle of Sharpsburg in some parts. ;-)

You see? You see? With a laugh and a smile, and all of a sudden, the job doesn't seem half so bad after all, does it, Sir? (Nice roomy forehead!)

Firing Party Bright.jpg

Hugh Laurie used to pick up his nightly bottle of red in my local offie at around the same time as me.
I engaged him in conversation a few times but I suppose like a lot of celebs he wasn't that friendly.
Very talented actor though.

I think they need to update their reference 2. There's been work done since 2006 and my understanding is it has been traced to a slop dolloper in the US army at a base camp sending troops to Europe. I'll try and dig out a reference.
Edited to add - Origins of the Spanish Influenza pandemic (1918–1920) and its relation to the First World War The picture is not clear cut but the change from 'flu to killer 'flu appears to be at Camp Funston, Kansas in March 1918

Finally, there is a program on BBC2 tonight at 21:00 for those interested.

Last edited:
Hugh Laurie used to pick up his nightly bottle of red in my local offie at around the same time as me.
I engaged him in conversation a few times but I suppose like a lot of celebs he wasn't that friendly.
Very talented actor though.
You and a lot of other people he didn't know from Adam, some of whom will be ever so slightly weird.

A quarter century or so ago I was on a Western Front tour by motorbike with him. Having seen the way he was pestered and wound up while he was a captive audience by grown-ups who should have known better, I could understand anyone deciding to default to being a bit stand-off-ish to avoid it.

Edited to add: what @beardyProf just said.

You and a lot of other people he didn't know from Adam, some of whom will be ever so slightly weird.
To be fair you have a point, and I live in an area that is infested with some genuine celebs and lots of wannabies.
As a rule I and most of the locals make a point of not acknowledging them, and I think that that is what has attracted them to the area over the years, that and the lovely houses and heathland that we have on our doorstep.
However over a period of a few months we were regularly perusing the reds in our local oddbins at the same time and just a polite suggestion such as "I had a bottle of that Malbec the other night and it was rather good".
Often resulted in a harrumph and shrug of the shoulders and him picking another bottle.
First world problems.

To be fair you have a point, and I live in an area that is infested with some genuine celebs and lots of wannabies.
As a rule I and most of the locals make a point of not acknowledging them, and I think that that is what has attracted them to the area over the years, that and the lovely houses and heathland that we have on our doorstep.
However over a period of a few months we were regularly perusing the reds in our local oddbins at the same time and just a polite suggestion such as "I had a bottle of that Malbec the other night and it was rather good".
Often resulted in a harrumph and shrug of the shoulders and him picking another bottle.
First world problems.
Sounds about normal for anyone in the South of England approached by a stranger, to be honest.

a polite suggestion such as "I had a bottle of that Malbec the other night and it was rather good".
First world problems.
Fair enough, we all have our faults and if that's his worst [Bill Cosby sentenced yesterday etc.] then I'm sure we can live with it.

Yo, yo! Take this Northern/Southern (UK) feud to another thread will ya? F-ing northern monkeys!
So to get back on topic, a Q for the Americans on here. In England we think everyone down South is unwilling to have a chat e.g. on a bus with a complete stranger, while up North we'll cheerfully talk to anyone we're sat next to. Does this divide exist in the US and if so is it East-West, North-South....