• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

America - its all a bit odd...

Still on the subject of scrumpy here's a song I remember:

In the year of sixteen forty-two, in a little cider mill
A poor old dog lay down to rest 'cause he was feeling ill
He chose a most precarious perch above the apple press
An in his sleep he tumbled in and perished in distress

This caused his master for to grieve likewise his mistress too
Until their sorrows were relieved when they sampled of the brew
A-ha, cried farmer Attwater, The likes I ne'er did sup
So he summoned all the neighbours in and bade them take a cup

And every man who drank that night got drunk as drunk could be
They wondered how the scrumpy had acquired such potency
But the farmer kept his council and took another drop
When all at once the poor old dog came floating to the top

A silence fell upon the room and every man did frown
The recognised old Bendigo though he was upside down
The Squire lost his colour and collapsed upon the floor
And the vicar lost his britches in the rush to reach the door

Fear not, cried farmer Attwater, For in all his life I vow
He never bit no man nor dog, and he'll not bite no man now
And this shall be his epitaph, Here lies our faithful Ben
Who perished in the scrumpy vat and quickly rose again

So if ever you're in Devon and you go into a bar
Ask for Dead Dog Scrumpy its the best there is by far
Refuse all imitations and you'll sleep just like a log
You can always recognise it by the hair of the dog

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
<< it's made from apples....mostly.>>

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Cars and freedom? Even allowing for advertising men being tossers that ad is faeces.
Yeah....we should do a Dulux ad showing native Washingtonians ( who ...um...ran away,mostly) repainting the White House in brilliant white Trade matt....
I vote for Charisma Carpenter dressed as Dolly Madison, legging it out the back door as her unexpected British guests walked in the front :)

Have you lot said 'Merci' to the French yet?

Have you lot said 'Merci' to the French yet?
For what? If you mean for the 1812 dust-up, they weren't helping us. They were keeping you lot and the empire busy. I believe we said Thank You to the Frogs in WW I and WW II,for services rendered in the Revolution, but got a pretty mixed response. Maybe it was because we didn't have the designer uniforms that were tres chic? :?

Lafayette-We-Are-Here Redux.jpg

I'm just kicking my heels before I head off to the local airport to begin my journey home after the wedding I have attended here in upstate New York and the hospitality has been amazing.
This has been my first time over here in a non-work capacity and have been looked after by the bride and grooms families as if I was one of their own even though I was just a guest (and the only solo traveller).
The wedding was a weekend long affair and we did the post-wedding brunch yesterday, which turned into a whole day affair in the sunshine followed by a camp fire drinking session last night whilst finishing off all the BBQ food (It was a very informal reception!) from the day before.
Their generosity and kindness (lots of lifts when they didn't have to) as well as lots of other little things that they didn't have to do but did anyway makes me genuinly sad to leave.
And the rural US is much, much nicer and laid back than the big cities.
Now I have 14 hours of travelling to look forwards too :(

*I do need fruit and veg desperately though!

I'm just kicking my heels before I head off to the local airport to begin my journey home after the wedding I have attended here in upstate New York and the hospitality has been amazing.
This has been my first time over here in a non-work capacity and have been looked after by the bride and grooms families as if I was one of their own even though I was just a guest (and the only solo traveller).
The wedding was a weekend long affair and we did the post-wedding brunch yesterday, which turned into a whole day affair in the sunshine followed by a camp fire drinking session last night whilst finishing off all the BBQ food (It was a very informal reception!) from the day before.
Their generosity and kindness (lots of lifts when they didn't have to) as well as lots of other little things that they didn't have to do but did anyway makes me genuinly sad to leave.
And the rural US is much, much nicer and laid back than the big cities.
Now I have 14 hours of travelling to look forwards too :(

*I do need fruit and veg desperately though!
All good. But did you bang anyone at the wedding? Any of the bridesmaids?

All good. But did you bang anyone at the wedding? Any of the bridesmaids?
Ha ha! Nope, I'm quite bit older than the bride and groom and am behaving myself since my divorce came though a few months back as I'm now with the woman I should have been with in the first place.
Besides, the reception was in a barn miles from anywhere!

I believe we said Thank You to the Frogs in WW I for services rendered in the Revolution, but got a pretty mixed response.
Maybe that was due to the 'flu epidemic you brought with you, killing more Frogs [and Brits] than the Germans had managed in 4 years of war.

For what? If you mean for the 1812 dust-up, they weren't helping us. They were keeping you lot and the empire busy. I believe we said Thank You to the Frogs in WW I and WW II,for services rendered in the Revolution, but got a pretty mixed response. Maybe it was because we didn't have the designer uniforms that were tres chic? :?

View attachment 354399
Shouldn't that read, "Lafayette, sorry we're late"?