• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

America - its all a bit odd...

That's still apple juice. Let me make it simple.

Crush and squeeze apples: you get apple juice
Filter and pasteurise it: it's still apple juice
Ferment it: it's cider
Let's make it simple.

Apple juice that is not filtered is sold in the US as "cider". Apple juice that's been filtered and preserved is sold as "apple juice".

They're both apple juice, but the raw stuff is sold as "cider".

Fermented cider is sold as "hard cider".

They could call them Fred, Jim and Sheila, it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to what the product actually is.

I spent most of my childhood in foreign countries, attending local public schools, and learned quickly that picking up the local accent was a good way of avoiding undue attention. I was in the US school system on and off for a total of 7 years (grades 2-8 and 12), so yeah, I do a pretty good US accent, although not regionalised. ARRSErs who have met me (@Joker62 , @wheel , @CrashTestDummy ) will attest that my English accent is pretty generic as well.
Ah I understand now and why. I left Scotland when I was 17, no matter where I ended up I always had the Jockanese accent. Our oldest kid still has a generic British accent but his two younger brothers are both very American accent wise.

My wife is a high school teacher and volleyball coach. The kids always want me to go into her class or the gym and "say something". Just to hear me speak. I really don't have a regional UK accent, other than it's "bath" not "barth", but I suppose it is sufficiently British that it's a novelty to the kids.

"Right you little cvnts, if she gives you homework, get it fvcking done, or it's a F. Capiche?" :)
I was in the UK for two years between age 15 and 17, then parents and I emigrated to Florida. As it was felt it would go better for me if I got a high school diploma, I was subsequently enrolled for 12th grade. One of my first classes was Economics and we were given homework of writing an essay on how the subject affected us personally and then instructed to read it out to the class.
I hadn't yet reverted to the yank accent, and after reading out my piece about exchange rates and how it affected my spending money, the room was completely silent, all eyes on me. I thought the subject must have completely enthralled them until someone at the back drawled "Don't she sound like Princess Di?!"

Last edited:
Speaking of accents...here we have an English actor playing an American who is trying to do an English accent. o_O

Have to admit that I didn't know that Dominic West (aka McNulty) was a Brit till after I finished the series. He did a pretty decent job of pulling off a broad Baltimore-ish accent.
Of late there has been a fair few foreign actors playing parts of Americans or other nationalities. Two that spring to mind are the two guys in the telly show Strikeback. In that show it was an Australian playing the part of an American and an American playing the part of an Englishmen. I thought both played their parts really well.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Went to the D Day memorial at Bedford Va yesterday, got reduced entry as wife told them I was a "veteran" and was thanked for my service, very odd feeling really, nice but cringeworthy at the same time.

Went to the D Day memorial at Bedford Va yesterday, got reduced entry as wife told them I was a "veteran" and was thanked for my service, very odd feeling really, nice but cringeworthy at the same time.
I know it's a "thing", but I simply don't understand the cringeworthy thoughts; to my mind it's nice to be complimented.

Most of the southern states do not require a front plate on vehicles, but the vehicle will probably have the mounting for it, so you should put something there. Whether it's a sports team logo, the vehicle brand logo, flag, whatever. Many veterans will have their service on the plate, and are rightly proud of the service. I have this on my truck. Cringeworthy? No doubt, to some Brits, but here, I've often been asked about it, and thanked. I keep that plate on my truck with pride. Just as I would an RBL sticker on my car if I was in the UK.

IMG_7575.JPG

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
[IQUOTE="Roadster280, post: 8814271, member: 11815"]I know it's a "thing", but I simply don't understand the cringeworthy thoughts; to my mind it's nice to be complimented.

Most of the southern states do not require a front plate on vehicles, but the vehicle will probably have the mounting for it, so you should put something there. Whether it's a sports team logo, the vehicle brand logo, flag, whatever. Many veterans will have their service on the plate, and are rightly proud of the service. I have this on my truck. Cringeworthy? No doubt, to some Brits, but here, I've often been asked about it, and thanked. I keep that plate on my truck with pride. Just as I would an RBL sticker on my car if I was in the UK.

View attachment 354276 [/QUOTE]
It's nice yes but just not my thing, a veteran to me is somebody who did real combat not just tried to stop Irishman killing each other.

I know it's a "thing", but I simply don't understand the cringeworthy thoughts; to my mind it's nice to be complimented.

View attachment 354276
Roadster, where did you get the plate from?

Roadster, where did you get the plate from?
Can't remember specifically, it was an online service that will print whatever you want. It was about 5 years ago, I think it was $18, or $25 for two. I had two made, for the deal, and this is the second one. They last about 3 years before the stone chips make them look tatty. This one's on its way, so time to Google for "license plate printing" again. Want one? I could order 3 or 4. Or however many you like really. IIRC the hardest part was getting the right RGB values for the red background. It's not pure fire-truck/Liverpool red, there is a tint to it. I think I went on the MOD website and blagged the RGB values off it. Can't remember the details, but I'll be doing it again soon.

As to accents (drift, it's not the US) in NZ I once met two great aunts who had emigrated there over forty years before and kept house together with the husband of one of them. One aunt spoke broad Kiwi, the other still spoke as one would expect of an English parson's daughter.

The strangest was a cousin in Wisconsin, brought up in Australia, spoke American but with Australian vowels. Weird.

In St Louis, Mo, visiting with another cousin, neighbours called - and stayed, I couldn't think why as they didn't say much, turned out they just wanted to listen to me and Mrs S.
Looks like your family have already done a Brexit.

View attachment 354276
Oh god, the fecking redcoats are back again...and on an American (well, technically, Italian?) vehicle? Sacrilege!

Can't remember specifically, it was an online service that will print whatever you want. It was about 5 years ago, I think it was $18, or $25 for two. I had two made, for the deal, and this is the second one. They last about 3 years before the stone chips make them look tatty. This one's on its way, so time to Google for "license plate printing" again. Want one? I could order 3 or 4. Or however many you like really. IIRC the hardest part was getting the right RGB values for the red background. It's not pure fire-truck/Liverpool red, there is a tint to it. I think I went on the MOD website and blagged the RGB values off it. Can't remember the details, but I'll be doing it again soon.
I was just wondering where you got them was all. We have the plates front and back in this State so not much good to me unfortunately otherwise I may have been tempted

Oh god, the fecking redcoats are back again...and on an American (well, technically, Italian?) vehicle? Sacrilege!

Italian ownership, some Mercedes engineering, engine built in Mexico and manufactured in Detroit. Quite American in its Mutt heritage :)

View attachment 354276
I don't know about the plate, but the mass of chrome I see filling my screen is certainly cringeworthy.