• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

America - its all a bit odd...

This week, the Constitutional Court, in its wisdom, decriminalised marijuana use... as long as it is 'private', and 'personal'.
Breaking: Dagga is now legal in South Africa for private use

I predict the snowflakes will now push this to the nth degree, and start demanding their right to puff away in public.
Also creates a minefield as far as traffic offences go.
There you go, puff away on that shit in front of your TV sets, as you watch SA beat the ABs again.

This week, the Constitutional Court, in its wisdom, decriminalised marijuana use... as long as it is 'private', and 'personal'.
Breaking: Dagga is now legal in South Africa for private use

I predict the snowflakes will now push this to the nth degree, and start demanding their right to puff away in public.
Also creates a minefield as far as traffic offences go.
Might be a good time to start a junk food delivery business called Munchies.....of course, you will have to deal with the fact that your riders might be mugged every other delivery.

I usually roll with this on a weekend..

I've made similar by putting supermarket vodka through a distillation setup. You don't so much drink it as it goes in your mouth, a lot of it evaporates and you inhale the fumes.

I do love that label though. 100% selected grains ie. anything we put in we have 'selected'

I've made similar by putting supermarket vodka through a distillation setup. You don't so much drink it as it goes in your mouth, evaporates and you inhale the fumes.

I do love that label though. 100% selected grains ie. anything we put in we have 'selected'
Filter supermarky vodka through a water filter, and it gets better.
Then 'ice chip' it, and increase the proof.
You can run Zippo lighters of the stuff.

Fell foul of a state run liquor store in Salt Lake City last night. Four obviously 50 somethings trying to buy 2 bottles of wine.

"I have to ask for ID Sir"

I look at signs on counter. Hand over UK driving licence. Look of bafflement/horror on face of teller.

"I'm sorry Sir, that isn't valid. Do you have a passport?"

I look at signs on counter again. "No, but I do have my Veterans ID". (OK it's DDS card, but worth a try).

Look of now total horror and bafflement followed by apology that she can't accept that either.

At this point queue behind us goes into uproar:

"What are you playing at Lady?"
"Give me the bottles, I'll buy them for you"
"She's refusing to serve a veteran!"

That was the point I thought that calming the situation and a strategic withdrawal might be in order. TBH there was CCTV everywhere, and I've no idea how draconion the penalties on the employee might be.

We head off to find a bar, and a block later a SUV pulls up next to us. Guy in the SUV, who had been in the store, apologies profusely for his State and tries to give us a bottle of wine for free.

America. Strange place, but some really great people.
Had the same, similar in Orlando Walmart 4 weeks ago . Went to the self checkout with some BEER.

scanning said beer a nice chap came up and asked for Photo ID .

I was carrying my UK drivers licence . He looked at it, brain trying to work ?????

Called his supervisor who said , Hello , You cannot use a UK driving licence as ID . I need to see you Passport.

I said the photo on my passport is the same as my ID.

He said . " I know but its a stupid company policy, This time I will let you pay"

This in the USA where some people have used pictures of their passports on their apple pads to enter the country.

Filter supermarky vodka through a water filter, and it gets better.
Then 'ice chip' it, and increase the proof.
You can run Zippo lighters of the stuff.
Freeze distilling (what I think 'ice chipping' is) works but is horrendously inefficient. You remove a small amount of water each cycle and lose progressively more booze each time. It's fine if you're an 18th century peasant with 40 barrels of apple juice in the barn you can fish the lumps of ice out of every winter morning.

The rest of us get a distillation setup and a couple of hours in the garden / kitchen yields litres of stuff. People without access to running water can put coolant through their condenser using siphoning and a couple of buckets. Fancy people run the distillate through the water filter / activated carbon at that point but it seemed unnecessary.

I have the slightly embarrassing habit of developing an American accent when I'm stateside.
Really?

I've been here 30+ years and still have a broad Jockanese accent. SWMBO's accent, her being American is interspersed with bits of Jockanese.

Had the same, similar in Orlando Walmart 4 weeks ago . Went to the self checkout with some BEER.

scanning said beer a nice chap came up and asked for Photo ID .

I was carrying my UK drivers licence . He looked at it, brain trying to work ?????

Called his supervisor who said , Hello , You cannot use a UK driving licence as ID . I need to see you Passport.

I said the photo on my passport is the same as my ID.

He said . " I know but its a stupid company policy, This time I will let you pay"

This in the USA where some people have used pictures of their passports on their apple pads to enter the country.
A PICTURE of their passport on their iPhone (or iPad or whatever Steve Jobs bit o'tat) ? That can't be legal surely with Border Control?

Really?

I've been here 30+ years and still have a broad Jockanese accent. SWMBO's accent, her being American is interspersed with bits of Jockanese.
I spent most of my childhood in foreign countries, attending local public schools, and learned quickly that picking up the local accent was a good way of avoiding undue attention. I was in the US school system on and off for a total of 7 years (grades 2-8 and 12), so yeah, I do a pretty good US accent, although not regionalised. ARRSErs who have met me (@Joker62 , @wheel , @CrashTestDummy ) will attest that my English accent is pretty generic as well.

Freeze distilling (what I think 'ice chipping' is) works but is horrendously inefficient. You remove a small amount of water each cycle and lose progressively more booze each time. It's fine if you're an 18th century peasant with 40 barrels of apple juice in the barn you can fish the lumps of ice out of every winter morning.

The rest of us get a distillation setup and a couple of hours in the garden / kitchen yields litres of stuff. People without access to running water can put coolant through their condenser using siphoning and a couple of buckets. Fancy people run the distillate through the water filter / activated carbon at that point but it seemed unnecessary.
Just had a Polish student , told me about how they made a still in Afghan, vehicle mechanics , air conditioning techs, electrical techs all involved.

What they never told the US Pers attached was the actual still was a bit of a puffing billy fake, and the “ moonshine” they were given was actually Johnny Walker Black label, as the Polish could buy it from the Officers mess at a stupid price.

I spent most of my childhood in foreign countries, attending local public schools, and learned quickly that picking up the local accent was a good way of avoiding undue attention. I was in the US school system on and off for a total of 7 years (grades 2-8 and 12), so yeah, I do a pretty good US accent, although not regionalised. ARRSErs who have met me (@Joker62 , @wheel , @CrashTestDummy ) will attest that my English accent is pretty generic as well.
So you went to an actual public public school and not a private public school, like here in the UK.