America - its all a bit odd...

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Ohhh, it seems like your own version of Moonshine!

Not really because moonshine was always accepted as being spirit whereas cider, in essence, is a brew of fermenting apples.

I am starting to develop that trait as well, granted I am sure it is much faster on your end because you are fully immersed in the UK. I also find myself slowly using the "proper" UK terms automatically instead of Americanising things all the time. I bet quite a few of our own forum members do the same thing when they are on the American side of the pond. It is quite interesting really.
Guilty as charged (hence I knew what you meant by a bum), and I have the slightly embarrassing habit of developing an American accent when I'm stateside.

OK, so I read "What's the difference between apple cider and apple juice".The answer is "nothing".Now, if you could get back to me on *why* you call apple juice cider, that would be great.
Apple cider is a raw juice that has not been filtered or pasteurized and has a shorter shelf life. Apple juice has been filtered and pasteurized hence the difference.

From Quora

Miguel Valdespino
, Eclectic interests, deep thoughts
Answered Feb 15

Cider was one of the major alcoholic beverages in the US before prohibition. In rural areas, it was often the primary beverage.

Up until Prohibition, an apple grown in America was far less likely to be eaten than to wind up in a barrel of cider. In rural areas cider took the place of not only wine and beer but of coffee and tea, juice, and even water.
Michael Pollan - tthe Botany of Desire​
Historian Howard Means estimated that the average person on the frontier drank 10.5 ounces of alcoholic cider a day. Because water sources were often contaminated, the alcohol of cider made it safer. Johnny Appleseed mostly planted trees that produced apples for cider.

During prohibition, many acres of cider apple trees were chopped down. Both by the FBI to prevent homemade cider, and from orchard owners looking to plant trees for apples better for eating.

When prohibition ended, beer was available much quicker than cider - grains grow annually, but it takes many years for an apple tree to produce fruit. People began to refer to unfiltered, unfermented apple juice as cider.

Only recently has cider begun to grow in the US.

Apple cider is a raw juice that has not been filtered or pasteurized and has a shorter shelf life. Apple juice has been filtered and pasteurized hence the difference.
Known as scrumpy in SW England. As for short shelf life, many years ago somewhere in Devon I wanted to buy some scrumpy from a local producer. He asked me if I wanted a glass demi-john or a plastic one, plastic being cheaper. What's the difference I asked, apart from glass being glass and plastic being plastic? It eats plastic came the reply.o_O
I chose glass.

Years ago my ex sister in law married a Yank, she being half yank herself and living in LA.
They popped out a delightful little boy and when he was about three or four they bought him over here to meet the English side of the family.
All went well until the husband overheard his brother in law asking the kid if he wanted some soda.
He was pinned up against the wall and told in no uncertain terms never to offer his son alcohol again.
Cultural misunderstanding, misheard the word soda for cider and thought that it was the norm for us Limeys to give kids alcohol from an early age.
The sis in law had never seen the violent side of hubby before and they were divorced in a couple of months.

Re the carding thing:
I was told by a bartender that the reason that they ask everyone for id is that even if you are ninety and in a wheelchair the police can come into the establishment and if someone has a drink and no ID, they can close the place down on the spot.
I think that was in Florida, it varies state to state.

Years ago my ex sister in law married a Yank, she being half yank herself and living in LA.
They popped out a delightful little boy and when he was about three or four they bought him over here to meet the English side of the family.
All went well until the husband overheard his brother in law asking the kid if he wanted some soda.
He was pinned up against the wall and told in no uncertain terms never to offer his son alcohol again.
Cultural misunderstanding, misheard the word soda for cider and thought that it was the norm for us Limeys to give kids alcohol from an early age.
The sis in law had never seen the violent side of hubby before and they were divorced in a couple of months.

Re the carding thing:
I was told by a bartender that the reason that they ask everyone for id is that even if you are ninety and in a wheelchair the police can come into the establishment and if someone has a drink and no ID, they can close the place down on the spot.

Alcohol would sadly be better than some of the "energy" drinks that the youf love these days. Besides my daughter learned the hard way about Bourbon last year during football season. She thought I was drinking "soda" and thought she would be clever and sneak a few drinks. I held her hair while she was worshiping the porcelain God. Now I have some clearly marked cups for the adult drinks, and she knows to avoid them like the plague.

Alcohol would sadly be better than some of the "energy" drinks that the youf love these days. Besides my daughter learned the hard way about Bourbon last year during football season. She thought I was drinking "soda" and thought she would be clever and sneak a few drinks. I held her hair while she was worshiping the porcelain God. Now I have some clearly marked cups for the adult drinks, and she knows to avoid them like the plague.
but she is 26 years old

From Quora

Miguel Valdespino
, Eclectic interests, deep thoughts
Answered Feb 15

Cider was one of the major alcoholic beverages in the US before prohibition. In rural areas, it was often the primary beverage.

Up until Prohibition, an apple grown in America was far less likely to be eaten than to wind up in a barrel of cider. In rural areas cider took the place of not only wine and beer but of coffee and tea, juice, and even water.​
Michael Pollan - tthe Botany of Desire​
Historian Howard Means estimated that the average person on the frontier drank 10.5 ounces of alcoholic cider a day. Because water sources were often contaminated, the alcohol of cider made it safer. Johnny Appleseed mostly planted trees that produced apples for cider.

During prohibition, many acres of cider apple trees were chopped down. Both by the FBI to prevent homemade cider, and from orchard owners looking to plant trees for apples better for eating.

When prohibition ended, beer was available much quicker than cider - grains grow annually, but it takes many years for an apple tree to produce fruit. People began to refer to unfiltered, unfermented apple juice as cider.

Only recently has cider begun to grow in the US.
Sorry I have to wonder about the accuracy of that claim.

During prohibition, many acres of cider apple trees were chopped down. Both by the FBI to prevent homemade cider

Firstly the FBI was not in the Prohibition enforcement business, Treasury Department was*.
Secondly by what authority would even treasury have to destroy private property such as trees on mere suspicion?

Finally Prohibition did not affect spirits or cider made for personal use, that was still legal federally

* also USCG, IRS, and DOJ Prohibition bureau

Sorry I have to wonder about the accuracy of that claim.

During prohibition, many acres of cider apple trees were chopped down. Both by the FBI to prevent homemade cider

Firstly the FBI was not in the Prohibition enforcement business, Treasury Department was*.
Secondly by what authority would even treasury have to destroy private property such as trees on mere suspicion?

Finally Prohibition did not affect spirits or cider made for personal use, that was still legal federally

* also USCG, IRS, and DOJ Prohibition bureau
I have no clue, it was a long time ago in a galaxy far away. But it would be a good theory. Prohibition seems like a bat shit crazy idea, and it turned out to be one.

This rings a bell with unsigned crossings (of which there were very few) in Germany and the BFG driving course we had to take in Rheindahlen before taking the 'tick test'.

The German civvy who had worked for the Brits for twenty plus years who took it said, "If four Germans arrive at the crossing together, they will wait forever as none of them will give way. They always hope a polite Brit will arrive and wave through the one to his right."
If you want to refresh your knowledge...

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

Re the carding thing:
If your BIL didn't kick seven bells out of said yank he needs to be deported.

I have no clue, it was a long time ago in a galaxy far away. But it would be a good theory. Prohibition seems like a bat shit crazy idea, and it turned out to be one.
"When prohibition came to the United States in the early 20 the prohibitionists cut down all the cider apple trees."
A Short Cider History

" Temperance fanatics burned or uprooted the orchards and wrought havoc on farms to the point that only dessert or cooking apples escaped the axe or torch; only a small number of cider apple trees survived on farmland abandoned before the 1920s and in the present day are only now being found by pomologists."
Cider in the United States - Wikipedia

Not conclusive of course but persuasive.

Last edited:
Re the carding thing:
One of our local places put a carding system in place, and it is pretty obvious who is over 18.
I asked the chap at the bar, and he said they'd had complaints from youngsters because why were THEY being asked to ID themselves, when HE wasn't asked?
Snowflakers shouting about 'discrimination' etc etc etc
The place has has 4 TV sets in different locations, showing various sporting events. So the same type of cnuts come into the smoking section, and complain about the smoke. When told that them being there is THEIR choice, they always moan, because they want to watch the rugby/football/cricket, and why can't we have the (team x) game on in the non smoking section, and the (team Y) game on in here?
Knobs.

One of our local places put a carding system in place, and it is pretty obvious who is over 18.
I asked the chap at the bar, and he said they'd had complaints from youngsters because why were THEY being asked to ID themselves, when HE wasn't asked?
Snowflakers shouting about 'discrimination' etc etc etc
The place has has 4 TV sets in different locations, showing various sporting events. So the same type of cnuts come into the smoking section, and complain about the smoke. When told that them being there is THEIR choice, they always moan, because they want to watch the rugby/football/cricket, and why can't we have the (team x) game on in the non smoking section, and the (team Y) game on in here?
Knobs.
I would have thought that smoking/non smoking, given the current climate in your neck of the woods, would be the last thing to worry about.