America - its all a bit odd...

Speaking of drinking, why doesn't McD's offer beer here in the UK? It seems to do so, elsewhere in Europe. Though, you guys are hankering to leave Europe..at least politically.
Everywhere Around the World Where McDonald’s Serves Beer
McDonald's doesn't even serve edible hamburgers here in the USA. Why then would I want to go to Miccky D's for a beer? :? The man is talking rubbish. :? If I wanted a burger and a beer, there are better alternatives - Red Robin for one. (And they give special meals to veterans on Veterans Day)

Red Robin.jpg

I do know of the wife of an American Exchange officer over her who couldn't understand her children's behavior after a refreshing glass of apple cider after school.
I never understood american cider. Hard cider is the alcoholic stuff, that makes sense, what the british call cider. What is 'normal' american cider then? Apple juice?

I wonder what americans would think of scrumpy (with the bits of twig fished out first).

I never understood american cider. Hard cider is the alcoholic stuff, that makes sense, what the british call cider. What is 'normal' american cider then? Apple juice?

I wonder what americans would think of scrumpy (with the bits of twig fished out first).
Don't tell them about the bicycle chain.

Or the dead rat.

Cider is unfiltered apple juice. Think of it as a Fall Beverage. The Hard stuff is of course has alcohol.

It's hard to explain...it's non alcoholic but is not quite the same as regular apple juice either. It's...cider...like I said hard to explain in words. You have to taste it.

That said we do get "hard" cider, but that's more the exception than the norm, you have to specify it.

Why do you call unfiltered apple juice cider? It's still just apple juice.
Why do you call math, maths? It is just the way it is here, and has been so for as long as I have been around. We always call things "hard" when they have alcohol in them. Like Hard Iced Tea/Lemonade/Soda etc. It is a way to separate the child friendly beverages from the adult versions.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Why do you call unfiltered apple juice cider? It's still just apple juice.
For the same reason that they call gnat's piss beer.

Damn.....DFS would be on a parent's ass out here if you gave a Kindergartner anything with alcohol at home, word got out.

When I was 10 we went to live in Australia for a while. My Mum was worried that I wasn't eating properly so she took me to see the Doc. He told her to give me a glass of dry sherry before meals as it would increase my appetite.

Why do you call math, maths? It is just the way it is here, and has been so for as long as I have been around. We always call things "hard" when they have alcohol in them. Like Hard Iced Tea/Lemonade/Soda etc. It is a way to separate the child friendly beverages from the adult versions.
Math/Maths is just a variant of the way to contract a word (is it plural or singular).

Cider is the product of fermenting apple juice. Using it for the unfermented version makes absolutely no sense - would you call unfiltered grape juice wine?

Being in the UK for so long means my mind has become "bi-lingual," if it makes any sense. It automatically switches to the correct side of the pond, based on the words used, depending on the context. So yeah, I didn't think about it till you actually pointed it out.
I am starting to develop that trait as well, granted I am sure it is much faster on your end because you are fully immersed in the UK. I also find myself slowly using the "proper" UK terms automatically instead of Americanising things all the time. I bet quite a few of our own forum members do the same thing when they are on the American side of the pond. It is quite interesting really.

Math/Maths is just a variant of the way to contract a word (is it plural or singular).

Cider is the product of fermenting apple juice. Using it for the unfermented version makes absolutely no sense - would you call unfiltered grape juice wine?
As Red mentioned Cider is not Apple Juice, it has a different taste.

It's hard to explain...it's non alcoholic but is not quite the same as regular apple juice either. It's...cider...like I said hard to explain in words. You have to taste it.
Similar to cloudy apple juice in the UK?

As Red mentioned Cider is not Apple Juice, it has a different taste.
That's your explanation? There are many different varieties of apple that have "a different taste", and it doesn't explain why America decided to use an existing word for the wrong thing - there must be a reason for this - whoever decided to refer to unfiltered apple juice as cider, will have known what the word really meant - I presume by unfiltered, this also means unpasteurised - consider that (generally) you need unpasteurised apple juice to (successfully) make cider.