America - its all a bit odd...

I'm off to Corning in upstate NY on Wednesday for a wedding. My first time in a 'proper' small town in the States and am rather looking forwards to it.
I am not looking forwards to the journey in Economy to get there however. It's on United from Manchester to Newark, then Newark to Corning with a three hour layover on the way out.
The return however has me having a mere 1.5 hours to change terminals and potenetially haveing to do security all over again.
No much wiggle room in the event of faffage. United have assured me all will be fine.
Previous experince of having to sprint around JFK to barely make a flight makes me a little apprehensive though.
A pretty area of upper New York state. I have been through there a few times. It is the home of Corning Glass, which is one of the largest glass manufacturers in the US.
There is an old gentlemen Amory Houghton who lives near me who is from there. We both frequent the local French bakery for coffee and croissants and one day he struck up a conversation when he saw me wearing a Harvard fleece jacket. He talked about his time at Harvard after he got out of the Marine Corps where he served during WW II
I mentioned that I had worked in government and he told me the best time of his life was the 12 years he "worked in government" before his family urged him to return to the family glass business, saying that like they owned Acme Windows and Windshields. I only later learned that his 12 years "working for the government" was as a member of congress and the family business was Corning Glass. A genuinely nice old gentleman he is still sharp and alert although at 92 his legs are a bit shaky. When we meet we don't talk politics, we talk about Harvard ice hockey and football.

NASA won't pay it. After all, we tried to get them to pay for the $400 littering fine for Skylab.

NASA's Unpaid $400 Littering Ticket For <em>Skylab</em> Debris in Australia
Who says fines don't work:
"Though the mayor of Esperance told Barley the ticket had been “written off years ago,” he and his listeners cobbled together the $400 and sent it to the shire.
NASA, to its credit, hasn't littered in the Shire of Esperance since the Skylab incident."

From your link.

Fell foul of a state run liquor store in Salt Lake City last night. Four obviously 50 somethings trying to buy 2 bottles of wine.

"I have to ask for ID Sir"

I look at signs on counter. Hand over UK driving licence. Look of bafflement/horror on face of teller.

"I'm sorry Sir, that isn't valid. Do you have a passport?"

I look at signs on counter again. "No, but I do have my Veterans ID". (OK it's DDS card, but worth a try).

Look of now total horror and bafflement followed by apology that she can't accept that either.

At this point queue behind us goes into uproar:

"What are you playing at Lady?"
"Give me the bottles, I'll buy them for you"
"She's refusing to serve a veteran!"

That was the point I thought that calming the situation and a strategic withdrawal might be in order. TBH there was CCTV everywhere, and I've no idea how draconion the penalties on the employee might be.

We head off to find a bar, and a block later a SUV pulls up next to us. Guy in the SUV, who had been in the store, apologies profusely for his State and tries to give us a bottle of wine for free.

America. Strange place, but some really great people.

Fell foul of a state run liquor store in Salt Lake City last night. Four obviously 50 somethings trying to buy 2 bottles of wine.

I look at signs on counter. Hand over UK driving licence. Look of bafflement/horror on face of teller.

I look at signs on counter again. "No, but I do have my Veterans ID". (OK it's DDS card, but worth a try).

Look of now total horror and bafflement followed by apology that she can't accept that either.

That was the point I thought that calming the situation and a strategic withdrawal might be in order. TBH there was CCTV everywhere, and I've no idea how draconion the penalties on the employee might be.

We head off to find a bar, and a block later a SUV pulls up next to us. Guy in the SUV, who had been in the store, apologies profusely for his State and tries to give us a bottle of wine for free.

Welcome to Utah land of the LDS Church.......To be honest they are strict and nasty to deal with on my end. One of the places I would never move to or live in.

Sounds like the liquor store clerk was being a jobsworth cnut. I'm accustomed to being carded when buying alcohol even though I have 67 winters under my belt, but I gladly show off my drivers' license or my military ID card (Army Retired) if asked. Sounds as if you did the same thing but I don't understand why that was not considered good enough.(Unless you had somebody else's picture on the DL) I would have bought you a bottle of wine too rather than let a fellow veteran go thirsty. ;-)

Currently sat in a bar at Newark airport awaiting my connection.
It's giving JFK a run for its money in the 'making travellers lives that bit more hellish' stakes.
Hundreds of people trying to get though a paltry two security scanners run by people who don't really know how to operate them.
And I've just paid £26 for a small meal and drink. One hour to my flight and it can't come quick enough.

It's giving JFK a run for its money in the 'making travellers lives that bit more hellish' stakes.
Hundreds of people trying to get though a paltry two security scanners run by people who don't really know how to operate them.
And I've just paid £26 for a small meal and drink. One hour to my flight and it can't come quick enough.
JFK or Newark I've been through both. Nether one is traveler friendly and the TSA jobsworth cnuts are equally irritating. I avoid JFK and Newark if possible when flying.

Sounds like the liquor store clerk was being a jobsworth cnut. I'm accustomed to being carded when buying alcohol even though I have 67 winters under my belt, but I gladly show off my drivers' license or my military ID card (Army Retired) if asked. Sounds as if you did the same thing but I don't understand why that was not considered good enough.(Unless you had somebody else's picture on the DL) I would have bought you a bottle of wine too rather than let a fellow veteran go thirsty. ;-)
Problem was it was a UK licence so wouldn't scan on whatever system they use. My mate sent a ranty email, and apparently if I'd said "Get lost, I'm obviously an old cnut" and refused to show ID then the cashier could have used discretion and sold it to me. Once the licence is handed over the law must be followed.

Not to worry. I'm now being offered free beer on the back of that story :)

Some states have DUI Offender licenses, and impose restrictions on buying alcohol on such people, so even if you're 90, you still need to show the license to prove that you are not disbarred from purchasing.

UK used to have something similar with the endorsements on the paper counterpart. I think that's gone away now, but do they still put endorsements on the licence card?

In Tennessee and Georgia, U21s or badasses have their licenses laid out in portrait mode, so they are very obviously not allowed to buy alcohol.

This is just a sample, but this bird seems to have just about every endorsement on her ID. Including veteran :)

Many years ago I was skiing with a large group in New Hampshire. I was dispatched to get the beer. I was I’m my late 30s but a young looking 20 year old cane along for the ride and came in the store. The woman carded me and although accepted I was old enough because I was with the younger guy wouldn’t sell it to me.

Many years ago I was skiing with a large group in New Hampshire. I was dispatched to get the beer. I was I’m my late 30s but a young looking 20 year old cane along for the ride and came in the store. The woman carded me and although accepted I was old enough because I was with the younger guy wouldn’t sell it to me.
Yes, it does look like you are buying for underage folks. They can refuse service if they think you are being naughty. It ain't worth the fine. I used to work in a liquor store as a side gig for some extra cash, they would go after the minors with fake licenses with a vengeance.

Walmart did that to me the other week. Wife & I were buying some groceries, including a case of beer. I'm 49, she's a couple years younger (north of 45, but one doesn't reveal a lady's age :) ). "I'll need to see both of your licenses".

What if I'd been with my 19-year old stepdaughter? Would they have refused to sell me the beer? I asked the cashier that directly, and he said no, they would have sold it to me. Well what's the fooking point of asking then?

14 months to go until I can send her out for more beer :)

Walmart did that to me the other week. Wife & I were buying some groceries, including a case of beer. I'm 49, she's a couple years younger (north of 45, but one doesn't reveal a lady's age :) ). "I'll need to see both of your licenses".

What if I'd been with my 19-year old stepdaughter? Would they have refused to sell me the beer? I asked the cashier that directly, and he said no, they would have sold it to me. Well what's the fooking point of asking then?

14 months to go until I can send her out for more beer :)
Good job she's old enough to bring you back smokes. :-D

joe_camel.jpg

True story: There used to be a male 4-star Air Force general assigned to quarters on base at Wright-Patt .right down the street from Dodge Gym where I work out. When I would go on my 1 -1/2 mile run of death, I would have to go by his quarters. I was amused to see that someone (a teen-aged son perhaps?) had gotten hold of two of the old Joe Camel pub signs and put one in a window of the attic and the other one in a window on the second floor (probably a bedroom) It always cast a friendly soft glow as I would come back to the gym in the twilight after my run. I meant to take a picture when the signs were there, but never got around to it; anyway Air Police get twitchy when they see you taking pictures of a senior ranking officer's quarters.

I had hoped you would have had a better experience than every time I have had the misfortune to be at that airport.

Last edited:
UK used to have something similar with the endorsements on the paper counterpart. I think that's gone away now, but do they still put endorsements on the licence card?
Endorsements still go on the paper counterpart. There's nothing on the plastic card so far as I know (I've left mine in work so I can't check if my points are on it but I'm 99% sure they're not).

That's for NI but as far as I'm aware Great Britain still do it the same way too.

I had hoped you would have had a better experience than every time I havd had the misfortune to be at that airport.
It would appear they are maintaining standards.

American store, in case you hadn't guessed.