America - its all a bit odd...

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Years ago in the afterlife, before I discovered that I could be a gentleman of leisure instead of going to 'work', I asked our secretary to knock out a foil for a presentation for me of a Mercator map showing the country operations I was then advising. When I gave her the list she said she knew where Australia and Sweden were but not the others. So I had to do the job myself (red dots).

EDI Clients.jpg

Mrs.B&B, last night, had a very poor encounter with 'merican border/homeland security/thingy at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International.
Over two hours to get through, she estimated four thousand in line and more landing.
They seemed very interested in food packaging; sweets, chocolate, crisp, chewing gum, polo mints, type and being slow in doing it.
And the asking of each question at least four times.Them Mexicans must have started to come through Manchester.
Never been this bad all the times she had been over before,
She missed her connection flight to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, although her suitcase did not miss it (good in house security that be) It was waiting when she arrived.
Luckily the nice check-in bloke had scratched her in on the later flight, she thinks he knew of the delay. When she finally got to the desk it was showing full but a seat was awaiting her.

Her best comment when she rang today at breakfast?
It is a good job we speak the same language otherwise the "Get In Line, Stay In Line" answer, when asked a question, would have had no meaning.
One lady guard had given up on speaking altogether and had gone over to sign language, hand palm in your face and a pointing finger for an answer.

I blame Trump.

PS.
She said the sausage gravy for the breakfast biscuits was looking decidedly gray and murky.
She had scrambled egg with bagel.

Last edited:
I have always enjoyed the US but when people, influential people think it’s acceptable for 3 year olds to have access to guns for defence your heading in a bad direction.

Sacha Baron Cohen.

I didn't think I understood the ins and outs of US law, and this confirms my suspicions, but also that 'it's all a bit odd'!

'In an astonishing move, the owners of Mandalay Bay have reportedly filed a lawsuit against the victims of the Las Vegas massacre, claiming they are not responsible for their deaths.'

Las Vegas hotel sues shooting victims

I didn't think I understood the ins and outs of US law, and this confirms my suspicions, but also that 'it's all a bit odd'!

'In an astonishing move, the owners of Mandalay Bay have reportedly filed a lawsuit against the victims of the Las Vegas massacre, claiming they are not responsible for their deaths.'

The hotel wants the case to go to Federal Court and not State. They seem to think they can get a better deal if they do this and not pay as much. Welcome to damage control America.

I suspect American's lack of awareness regarding geography has been aired here somewhere in the previous 155 pages, but FFS, if you can't even identify your own country!!!

'A recently aired segment on Jimmy Kimmel Live reveals just how clueless many Americans are when it comes to the rest of the world. Kimmel sent one of the show’s producers out onto the streets of Los Angeles armed with a world map, a pointer and a simple question for passers-by: Name and identify any country on the map. Not a specific country, mind you. Literally any country whatsoever.

' “God, who knows stuff like that?” one woman complained when asked to name and identify a single country in Africa. One guy took a punt at identifying “Greenland or Iceland or something” — only to be told it was the US state of Alaska.

'Then there was the cheerful young woman who couldn’t even identify America on a map, pointing instead to Russia.'

Jimmy Kimmel reveals simple test so many Americans just can’t pass
Yeah, whatever. I would do all the women in the video (yep, even the one in the hoodie).

And the kid at the very end rocks! Bloody hell, he just went tick tick tick!

Last edited:
I suspect American's lack of awareness regarding geography has been aired here somewhere in the previous 155 pages, but FFS, if you can't even identify your own country!!!

'A recently aired segment on Jimmy Kimmel Live reveals just how clueless many Americans are when it comes to the rest of the world. Kimmel sent one of the show’s producers out onto the streets of Los Angeles armed with a world map, a pointer and a simple question for passers-by: Name and identify any country on the map. Not a specific country, mind you. Literally any country whatsoever.

' “God, who knows stuff like that?” one woman complained when asked to name and identify a single country in Africa. One guy took a punt at identifying “Greenland or Iceland or something” — only to be told it was the US state of Alaska.

'Then there was the cheerful young woman who couldn’t even identify America on a map, pointing instead to Russia.'

A conversation I once had at a checkout till here in't US went along these lines:

Q. "Where ya frum"?

A. "Just north of London". - based on the premise that if I answer England I am ordinarily asked if I come from London.

Q. "Luhnduhn, is that near England"?

A. "........................., yes, thank you, goodbye"

In all fairness to the map pointing: back in the 90's this creature was on the streets of Leeds with a map of Africa asking where Cameroon was .................. the population of Leeds didn't know.

The Canadians aren't much better. I once had to make a call to Scotland from Canada. I had trouble getting a connection so I called the operator asking if she could connect the call. On telling her I wanted to make a call to Scotland in the UK she asked "is that Scotland, England"?

The Canadians aren't much better. I once had to make a call to Scotland from Canada. I had trouble getting a connection so I called the operator asking if she could connect the call. On telling her I wanted to make a call to Scotland in the UK she asked "is that Scotland, England"?
Brits have to understand that for quite a lot of people around the world, England = The UK. When they say England, they are referring to the UK as a whole, are not aware that there are separate countries within the UK . I myself was guilty of that for a long time.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Surely that was that was acted out, nobody can be that thick, I mean to say that chap who thought South Africa was North of Nigeria?
And that woman, "Should I have been taught this at school"?
Cheap telly.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer

Even the stable genius and "Leader of the Free World" struggles with difficult geography.

Blame the ambulance chasing lawyers who went after the hotel owners & concert organisers for something they could never have foreseen.

The hotel wants the case to go to Federal Court and not State. They seem to think they can get a better deal if they do this and not pay as much. Welcome to damage control America.
There are apparently multiple lawsuits against the hotel claiming they are responsible for the shooting. This is the US where the first response to a problem is that everybody sues everybody else, and the deepest pockets try to hold out the longest.

Hats off* to that bloke for remaining so calm. She was an ocean-going turboprick.

*pun fully intended.
The attitude of young woman is a good example of the reasons the citizens of the US elected Trump.

Interesting to see the picture someone posted of historical black cowboys. When my son was in university in New Mexico we drove around some of the more rural areas near Sante Fe and I did see a number of cowboys working on ranches. Most appeared to be Native American, Latino or a mix thereof.

Wild video shows Las Vegas police pursuit, shootout with suspects

Yee Haw, watch the Las Vegas PD in action! Granted I don't think shooting through your windshield at a moving vehicle is a great risk to take to the public, while driving........
I don't think I have heard of a LEO firing through a weekend until Sunday. In a town(Weymouth, MA) not far from mine a police officer was chasing a man for erratic / dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident. When the man's car could not be driven he bailed out and attacked the officer and in the struggle hit the officer in the head with a large stone knocking him out and he stole the officers gun. Another officer saw him standing over the unconscious officer putting 10 rounds into the officer. (5 head, 5 upper chest). As he was shooting the officer another officer fired through his window hitting the shooter in the leg. The shooter fired back missing the officer but killing an elderly lady who was looking out her window. Given the events it speaks to the discipline of the Weymouth police that the man was not shot additional times but they realized his gun was empty.

The shooter, Emmanuel Lopes had been out on bail since last Fall after an arrest for selling cocaine to persons under the age of 16, possession of drugs with intent to traffic them plus assaulting the police officer who arrested him. BTW, he was out on $500 bail!

The police officer killed, Michael Chesna. was a veteran of the US Army and served two tours in Afghanistan with the 10th Mountain Division. He leaves a wife and a young son and daughter. RIP Officer Chesna.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr_C_Hinecap US 7
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 78
Ord_Sgt The Intelligence Cell 22