America - its all a bit odd...

Simmerit

War Hero
A (now former, due to massive anti-vax bellwhiffery) friend of mine went over to the US (LA) on a tourist visa and started working for a University; cash in hand.

After a few months her visa expired and she stayed.

She then married a gay bloke to get a green card; once she had this she divorced hom* and is now legitimately married to an American bloke with a kid and one on the way.

My wife, American by birth and British by the grace of God naturalisation (the legal/hard way) hates her with a passion; and that was before she went all anti-vax.

It's remarkable how easy it seems - but there again each state is like a mini country - and seem to do their own thing.

*not sure of the specifics/timing, but she's def got a green card now.

I know a lad that did similar only it didn’t quite work out like that. Went to California working - sponsored in by his US employer. He got made redundant and got a job for another US employer and they found out after about 8 months he was here on his previous employer’s visa. They sacked him immediately. In the meantime he’s hooked up with a crack head who took him for every penny he had. She wrote of his Merc when off her head. He went out and bought a Porsche. He was about to run out of cash when he got caught and got deported. When he got back to the UK he asked a good friend if he’d go to the States and drive his Porsche from west coat to east coast so he could ship it back to the UK. Good friend did and got arrested in New York by the DEA who had a tracker on the Porsche. After much pleading and sobbing by good friend they let him and the car go. Both came back to the UK. Car got sold for a fraction of its value as it was l/h drive and good friend never got paid for his trouble. There is more. It’s a cracking tale but part 2 another day.

I believe the sentiment was along the lines of ‘you like ‘em so much, here you go - have some of ours’.

I wish we would do that with our arrivals and send them to Jockland.
Yeah but Jockland isn't running the UK regardless of what wee nippy thinks. The equivalent would be bussing them to London and dropping them off in Parliament square..... where they would fit in nicely with the rest of the local population!

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
FB_IMG_1659349605786.jpg

Don't look out of the window folks!

I blame the lineup, I just looked at who was playing this year and dogs vomiting would be more entertaining.
Metallica and Green Day would be good.

The others: Who?

TamH70

MIA
We're lucky in that a real butcher originally from the UK has set up business in town, real bacon, pork pies and black pudding. Just amazing.

Is he allowed to do all that stuff, given America's fanatical Food and Drugs Administration?

Is he allowed to do all that stuff, given America's fanatical Food and Drugs Administration?

Yes he is, it is illegal to import them, it isn't illegal to make them yourself, if it was then I'd be in trouble if found out.

Brasco1033

Swinger
Luckily I'm in Canada and he doesn't have that problem. The only thing that was banned by Canada was curry sauce, like you have on fish and chips, weird, not sure what that problem was about. Butcher is an ex squaddie to boot. Double bonus.

Charles1948

Old-Salt
On the subject of food, I'm just wondering. Everyone knows that all Americans are obese.

Is it the same in Canada? You share the same North American continent. But are you just as fat?

TamH70

MIA
and Lucozade apparently.

Food colouring would be the reason. It's always the food colouring.

Happened to Diet Irn Bru back in the day if I recall correctly.

Brasco1033

Swinger
On the subject of food, I'm just wondering. Everyone knows that all Americans are obese.

Is it the same in Canada? You share the same North American continent. But are you just as fat?
Imho, not as bad but probably heading that way. Most Canadians tend to be fairly active although there are there inevitable bloaters. The proliferation of religious groups seems to keep the fat levels down as well. You rarely see a far Mormon or Hutterite around the place.

Brasco1033

Swinger
America - It's all a bit odd.

I've got to say the whole Second Amendment thing, I just don't get it. Dog forbid you even try to have a conversation on the subject, it's easier just to set fire to yourself.
America is so F***ed.

Latest Threads