America - its all a bit odd...

RaiderBoat

On ROPS
On ROPs
On the latter, I'll believe it when I see it! I still remember some of the giant craters on I-40 outside Knoxville, not to mention the time I flatted in town.

To add to the list, I believe that there are also new nuclear power plants coming. TN is pretty well set up for business right now. Apparently Amazon and Smith and Wesson have arrived in Maryvillle.

Edit: Strangely enough, my Mum is from New England. Their up-state town is in a much worse state, industry left decades ago, and the only new things are art collectives and wanky hipster stuff. Not much in the way of work. There must be a reason nobody is investing there. I imagine her old family house is utterly worthless now.
Well…it’s New England.

I love that, the mark of a man summed up in one sentence. Trouble with the UK is that we don't have much proper hunting and the sight of a city slicker in tweeds towing a pheasant on a string is not very inspiring.
Mate of mine tried to get his son involved in his pheasant syndicate when he left the Army, He told his dad to ask him again when the birds had been trained to shoot back.
The real witch is realizing that you won’t be walking in an straight line. You get to drag your critter all over because you don’t want to get it stuck in the sage. But it makes for a decent workout! Especially when you have to drag it uphill.

People don’t want to bird hunt because it isn’t easy.
Small fast targets take some getting used to.
5D4EA0F2-7212-4769-9B82-4511CA86DECD.jpeg

RaiderBoat

On ROPS
On ROPs
I've had a taste of a US winter. Last time I was here, we headed the 40 miles or so to Stevens Pass which takes you over the Cascade range that seperates Western Washington from East.

We managed to get to the summit, 4,200ft above sea level with huge snow drifts and -10c temperatures, only to get stuck for a couple of hours until someone with a h uh get F350 managed to tow us out.

That was epic.
Pshaw! That was just a cool Summer day!

The truckers are the worst on the interstates. They create so many problems it isn’t even funny. But on the bright side you ain’t dead and you can woo the lady friend with an epic tale.
The truckers are bad but the crap that falls off of and out of them is another story. I don’t remember that too much in the UK.

Ritch

LE
The truckers are bad but the crap that falls off of and out of them is another story. I don’t remember that too much in the UK.
Whilst I've been here, I've seen plenty of dump trucks with no netting over their loads and it spilling as they drive along.

Also saw a low loader with a dangerous lack of straps on the Komatsu digger it was hauling. Seems British health and safety would have a field day here.

RaiderBoat

On ROPS
On ROPs
Whilst I've been here, I've seen plenty of dump trucks with no netting over their loads and it spilling as they drive along.

Also saw a low loader with a dangerous lack of straps on the Komatsu digger it was hauling. Seems British health and safety would have a field day here.
It IS against the law. There is just a lack of cops every mile, unfortunately. We do nail them when we see them and it costs $$$.

Hairy-boab

War Hero
Same here.

View attachment 664366

Almost ended up brown bread a couple of hours ago. Driving down the freeway and an 18 wheeler had a blowout and swerved across into the lane I was driving in. I had to slam all on and swerve too.

Just got finished from having having a State Trooper examine my international driving permit and asking me questions which included - "do you guys have Cheeto's?"

I have no words.
If you want to know more about the state police, there is a very good documentary called “super troopers”. Worth a watch.

Dreamseller

War Hero

'Innocence is not enough.'

Bloody hell.
There's a very interesting podcast call wrongful conviction that has loads of examples like this one, that frankly boggled my mind.

There's a very interesting podcast call wrongful conviction that has loads of examples like this one, that frankly boggled my mind.

Good thing kids still read 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' at school eh?

For the position of the courts that someone who can reasonably prove their innocence must remain convicted because they did not fill out their Form 56-T correctly is frankly insane.

TamH70

MIA

'Innocence is not enough.'

Bloody hell.

Not surprised in the slightest. All you are guaranteed in the American justice system is a fair trial, not a good one, let alone a perfect one. If evidence is found later on that wasn't found and presented in the initial trial, judges can - and do practically every day - tell appellant lawyers to shove it up their asses.
There's a show on Amazon Prime called "Death Row Stories" that goes into things like this. Some of the stories therein would be jaw-dropping to me if l hadn't previously been doing quite a bit of reading about how things are fecked right up in the Land of the Free, but it's interesting telly nonetheless.

Last edited:

Eyes_Right

Old-Salt
Not surprised in the slightest. All you are guaranteed in the American justice system is a fair trial, not a good one, let alone a perfect one. If evidence is found later on that wasn't found and presented in the initial trial, judges can - and do practically every day - tell appellant lawyers to shove it up their asses.
There's a show on Amazon Prime called "Death Row Stories" that goes into things like this. Some of the stories therein would be jaw-dropping to me if l hadn't been reading about how things are fecked right up in the Land of the Free, but it's interesting telly nonetheless.

Hey,

If we are to keep up with those other leading democracies such as China, Iran and Saudi Arabia, we have to ensure we continue to kill a reasonable number of our criminals. If we get lost in the details of whether those criminals are actually guilty or not, we will lose our status as a world leader (well #6) in executing citizens. It's galling enough to have those third world hell-holes beating us every year, without a bunch of liberals getting all panty-wadded about actual guilt or innocence.

CLC Jr showed me that and my first words were if it was Marines it should be Crayons.

6297961c317056297961c31706.jpg

I know, I know better Men and Women than me and so on but someone was going to say it.

June has been designated "Pride"month by all the branches of the military. Don't know what each one is going to do to "recognize" the month, but I'm glad I have retired (a long time ago) and won't be dicked to attend any party or ceremony.
victor-meldrew.jpg

CLC Jr showed me that and my first words were if it was Marines it should be Crayons.

6297961c317056297961c31706.jpg

I know, I know better Men and Women than me and so on but someone was going to say it.

I'll just leave this here, looks like a few Guardsmen having a day/night out on the town.

Gay-Pride-2017-0012-SFW.jpg