America - its all a bit odd...

It does look like China are that bothered

View attachment 635005

If Korea blew up and the Chinese sided with the Norks and laid waste to South Korean industrial facilities, and played a Crimea on Taiwan, the West would be absolutely fooked for electronics, regardless of the outcome of either that war or a wider war that might provoke.

It must be awful to live in a third-world country.

Do you need anything? Should we be knitting socks for you poor people?
Would you be a dear and send me this?

HobbyMaster P-51B Mustang Short-Fuse Sallee 356FS 354FG 9AF 1/48 HM8508

I don’t think you could describe the UK as a third world country just yet, despite the best efforts of London’s population to make it so.

No, I'm afraid we can't send you any tea until you stop putting it in little bags and trying string round it.

No, I'm afraid we can't send you any tea until you stop putting it in little bags and trying string round it.

Well it seems Twining’s, c/w Royal Warrant from HMTQ, disagree with you.

0EF577B5-E8B2-4E7C-9BC2-D4D5E718AA7E.jpeg

I’m afraid I don’t share Her Majesty’s taste though, it is insipid shite.

Her son however favours Taylor’s, and so do I. I can’t tell the difference between Taylor’s own brand and their Yorkshire brand though.

8A3BBE48-9316-4BB5-85F9-FF318DAF1ECB.jpeg

I thought about that the other day. Specifically, how might the Chinese tighten the screws on the west?

This thought occurred as I was putting together a 3D printer. It is a cheap Chinese one, and cost comparatively very little. Yet the engineering in it was quite impressive, at least to me. Nearly all of the most popular 3D printers are Chinese in origin. I’m sure the West could make a decent one (like the Prusa), but it would cost significantly more. Then I thought about something as simple as a webcam. Again, a decent spec one costs pocket change on Amazon, and will be universally made in China. They have a strong hold on consumer electronics, among other markets.

Now they might not rack up the interest rates on debt, they might be a bit more sneaky. They could simply jack the prices by 20% on consumer electronics. That would cause inflation in the West. The general method to control inflation is for central banks to increase interest rates. So the West would end up jacking its own interest rates in response to a supposed Chinese commercial move.

Interesting times ahead, I think.
Interest rates will be going up before too long, possibly in March. It's going to be fun to see if property markets collapse and what else falls over with them.

America to invade Texas​

President Biden has declared war on Texas, vowing to remove its regime of medieval tyranny.

The move followed the state’s passing of abortion laws which Biden called ‘extreme’. Other leading Democrats described them as ‘absolutely batshit f**king mental’.

Biden said: “A line has been drawn in the sand, the sands of the Rio Grande valley. Our mission is to establish a new American order, spreading democracy into every state of our great nation, even the mad religious ones.”

In a radio speech, Governor of Texas Greg Abbott said: “By the will of God who is great and merciful, we shall smite these liberal unbelievers if they set one foot on our hallowed soil.

What do you mean, I sound exactly like one of those Islamic fundamentalists that I profess to dislike so much? I’m right, because God said so. And he is definitely real.”

Political commentator Norman Steele said, “Invading a state within your own country is a radical step. When Biden said he wanted to bring the American troops back home, none of us thought this was what he had in mind.

“However, this is Texas we’re talking about, and they’re being twats, so f**k ‘em.”

mrdude

On ROPS
On ROPs
President Biden has declared war on Texas
Here's some of the corruption that goes on in the Democrat party - who their families work for etc.

Trump was correct when he was talking about the swamp.

Interest rates will be going up before too long, possibly in March. It's going to be fun to see if property markets collapse and what else falls over with them.

Much the usual economic cycle, I should think. Inflation rising, jack interest rates. Cools investment and a whole lot of other things. Things settle down in terms of inflation - oh bollocks we’ve gone too far, recession sets in - quick - lower interest rates. Near zero if necessary. Investment grows at higher rates, driving inflation…

The electronics industry cracked this years ago with fuzzy logic and reducing the effects of hysteresis. Beats me why the central banks of the western world can’t attenuate the growth/recession spikes/troughs with a bit of proactive guided intervention and do much the same thing.

Much the usual economic cycle, I should think. Inflation rising, jack interest rates. Cools investment and a whole lot of other things. Things settle down in terms of inflation - oh bollocks we’ve gone too far, recession sets in - quick - lower interest rates. Near zero if necessary. Investment grows at higher rates, driving inflation…

The electronics industry cracked this years ago with fuzzy logic and reducing the effects of hysteresis. Beats me why the central banks of the western world can’t attenuate the growth/recession spikes/troughs with a bit of proactive guided intervention and do much the same thing.
There's a lot of money currently being put into the property market by speculators. If interest rates go up then that property will be more expensive to hold, property prices go down a bit, some speculators get cold feet and dump their holdings, prices go down more, panic sets in, etc.

The problem is that interest rates have been too low for too long so there's more fizz than substance in a lot of markets.

As for inflation versus growth, a lot of people reading this will remember stagflation, when we had inflation and a stagnant economy at the same time. It took quite a few years to work out of that one.

The financial news that I've been reading have been saying that interest rates would have gone up already if it wasn't for omicron. Therefore rates are likely to go up in early spring.

Another lovely bit of news is that oil prices will go up a lot higher if things don't start going well in Ukraine. The proposed sanctions involve blocking Russian exports of oil, either directly through agreement or through the US blocking the international banking system from putting payments through.

Put all of that together and we're looking at the potential for a miserable few years or even more.

Hopefully the UK rates will lag behind the US long enough for me to get another cheap mortgage deal. I will be annoyed if I miss out on a 1% rate by a few months.