America - its all a bit odd...

Is that for a traditional English Christmas dinner with roast tatties and turkey, or a Japanese one from the Colonel of Kentucky? 10# converts to almost 1600 Yen and that seems generous to me. :?

View attachment 611171View attachment 611172
Its been £10 for years, when it first started it bought a small turkey and all the trimmings, now not even a small turkey crown. ( Last years small turkey half crown for 6 people cost £30) :(

An interesting perk. I fear we will have a massive surge in poverty, and it won’t be limited to Seniors and lower income levels. I have never seen food, petrol, and heating prices surge like this before. The worst part is we have no end in sight, a tone deaf DC and a President who can’t fix things and his only instinct is to make issues worse.
I find it hard to believe that one man, can have so much power over all aspects of national policy, without debate by congress, and some input by both political party's in the US. Here in the UK, it is debated, talked over, and eventually voted on, and then only passed into law with the stamp of approval by Betty,

(My knowledge of the US political system and how it functions is rather sketchy.)

That is the one saving grace I'm counting on. Since this chimp and his party have been in power, everything I need has suddenly gotten more expensive. Gasoline, Natural Gas, electricity, etc. My electric bill has doubled every month since January 2021, for example, and the utility says green energy sources cost more and shrug their shoulders. Well, Fcuk Biden, Fcuk Greta, and Fcuk the Democratic Party.
(While not defending Democrats; I know too little about it to comment)
You can be grateful that, added to your political woes, you weren't affected by the pan galactic Covid problem. That would really have upset your supply chain.

offog

LE
So how’s that Delta variant workin out for ya?
The unvaccinated are dropping like flies. Darwin working his magic. 55k and counting since Jan21.

So in the great scheme of things very well really the stupid are being culled.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
So how’s that Delta variant workin out for ya?
You mean the variant our bunch of cheerful Charlies managed to import from India by playing politics with Border controls instead of listening to the odd white coated swivel eyed boffin type?

THAT variant?

Yeah we're getting there thank you.

How's the US number of vaccinated looking ?

Oh, wait.....

Overall, 189,709,710 people or 58% of the [US] population have been fully vaccinated.

Compare and contrast:

How many people in the UK have been vaccinated so far? | ITV News

The number of people [ in UK ] who have had both doses of the Covid vaccine stands at 45,460,122 - an increase of 26,365 from the previous day's total. About 79% of those aged 12 and over in the UK were fully vaccinated

COVID19 - the Chinese gift that keeps on giving......mostly to big Pharma and the NHS budget.

PS

THESE three Words -
Watch and Learn ? :-D

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
It is almost an unofficial Holiday anymore. Tonight we are taking the daughter to the school trunk or treat, as they are not having the normal Halloween Carnival. Parties will be had this weekend and next weekend. You folks won’t be to far behind.
Cultural note: Your Halloween celebrations are either ignored or embraced with enthusiasm in UK depending on age. I am old enough to remember that the only significant thing about the end of October was Bonfire Night getting closer and shops started stocking British made fireworks at ludicrous prices (Brocks,Pains,Standard) in sturdy match-proof boxes. And us kids making Guy Fawkes effigies out of old clothes stuffed with newspaper, which we dragged around the shops bawling 'Penny for the Guy' - money raised to be spent on bangers.

Something like this, except I was a Townie, our Guy didn't boast cast off Wellingtons:

My ex set her face resolutely against that demmed Yanqi Trick or Treat thing and once our own kids got all 'grown-up and savin' China' we barred the gates and dowsed all lights. Here, if you want kids to come begging in the dark, stick a pumpkin with a tea light inside on your porch. Like moths to a flame, and almost always accompanied by a grown-up or two.

The take-over by Walmart of one of our larger supermarket chains has hastened the tidal wave of cheap plastic tat made in Guangzhou and Halloween-themed fodder in the shops. When I was feeling very poor, it was a good time to buy icky morsels I wouldn't normally touch at half price the next day.

My uke group has a Halloween gig next week: my V for Viennetta mask is on order.

Last year's look at the same event :
1634899332719.png

<shudder....scary uh ? >

I find it hard to believe that one man, can have so much power over all aspects of national policy, without debate by congress, and some input by both political party's in the US. Here in the UK, it is debated, talked over, and eventually voted on, and then only passed into law with the stamp of approval by Betty,

(My knowledge of the US political system and how it functions is rather sketchy.)
All three branches have their specific powers, the Chief Executive is abusing them or in some cases outright acting in an unconstitutional manner.

All three branches have their specific powers, the Chief Executive is abusing them or in some cases outright acting in an unconstitutional manner.
If as you say he is " Bang out of order" why hasn't his senior puppets reined him in, and explained to him the error of his ways. and why hasn't congress called him to account, and also, the MSM need to kick him in the political nuts, or am i being too naive :???:

Cultural note: Your Halloween celebrations are either ignored or embraced with enthusiasm in UK depending on age. I am old enough to remember that the only significant thing about the end of October was Bonfire Night getting closer and shops started stocking British made fireworks at ludicrous prices (Brocks,Pains,Standard) in sturdy match-proof boxes. And us kids making Guy Fawkes effigies out of old clothes stuffed with newspaper, which we dragged around the shops bawling 'Penny for the Guy' - money raised to be spent on bangers.

Something like this, except I was a Townie, our Guy didn't boast cast off Wellingtons:

My ex set her face resolutely against that demmed Yanqi Trick or Treat thing and once our own kids got all 'grown-up and savin' China' we barred the gates and dowsed all lights. Here, if you want kids to come begging in the dark, stick a pumpkin with a tea light inside on your porch. Like moths to a flame, and almost always accompanied by a grown-up or two.

The take-over by Walmart of one of our larger supermarket chains has hastened the tidal wave of cheap plastic tat made in Guangzhou and Halloween-themed fodder in the shops. When I was feeling very poor, it was a good time to buy icky morsels I wouldn't normally touch at half price the next day.

My uke group has a Halloween gig next week: my V for Viennetta mask is on order.

Last year's look at the same event :
View attachment 611216
<shudder....scary uh ? >
I would also love to give you an informative rating as well.
It ain’t a bad look. Front porch lights being turned on, are the sign a house is open. We also have a person or two in the neighborhood who take pity on us poor parents and pass out beers and shooters. It really is a big party out here. We will have beer and pizza at the parents house first, with a few family friends. Then by six we will hit the streets till about eight.

Out of interest how does Halloween go down with the extreme god botherers?

I would have thought it was anathema/ungodly to the sort of person who wants to ban Harry Potter.

If as you say he is " Bang out of order" why hasn't his senior puppets reined him in, and explained to him the error of his ways. and why hasn't congress called him to account, and also, the MSM need to kick him in the political nuts, or am i being too naive :???:
His party needs him to pass their radical agenda, which is failing. The Democrats have control of Congress for the time being. Which will change in January of 2023.

Conservative outlets are roasting him, CNN and a few others are also not defending him as vigorously as they used to. But just as he has his detractors he also has his die Hard’s who will support him to the end. Or until he is no longer useful, which appears to be coming soon.

Out of interest how does Halloween go down with the extreme god botherers?

I would have thought it was anathema/ungodly to the sort of person who wants to ban Harry Potter.
Churches tend to have a “Fall Festival ”. Same concept, candy and costumes and game for the kids. Just no mention of Halloween. But we don’t have to many of what we would consider hardcore churchies in the area. They tend to isolate in their own communities.

Which the Supreme Court could rein in if it so chooses

‘Strewth, 1st of April and its’ Purple-robed Eminence has certainly got a good grip on these poltroons …

How strange internet conspiracy theories led one US pundit to ask: 'When do we invade Australia?'

How strange internet conspiracy theories led one US pundit to ask: 'When do we invade Australia?'
Much as I think Rees-Mogg is a man with a mindset stuck somewhere around 1850 everytime I read about American right-wingers like Cruz I realise that Lord Snooty is actually a relatively sane and sensible person.

In a very interesting new interview, former McDonald's USA CEO Ed Rensi, shares that 11 years ago a CCP chairman told him personally that China didn't need to nuke America, it would defeat America with technology and economics, and "let America decay from inside".

Go figure. The brief section starts at 4:55, lasting less than a couple minutes.

In a very interesting new interview, former McDonald's USA CEO Ed Rensi, shares that 11 years ago a CCP chairman told him personally that China didn't need to nuke America, it would defeat America with technology and economics, and "let America decay from inside".

Go figure. The brief section starts at 4:55, lasting less than a couple minutes.

Interesting to see who's prediction comes to fruition first.

'Some truths take a long time to reveal themselves and a great and powerful truth might just be revealing itself to the world right about now. And one man predicted it a decade ago. We are perhaps witnessing the final flailing death throes of communism.

'In a podcast for BBC History Magazine in April 2012, the economist and political scientist James A. Robinson casually predicted that China would fall just as certainly as the Soviet Union did — despite both being lauded by the left and feared by the right. “In the early 1980s we were still being taught that if you really wanted to have successful economic growth you needed to have a Soviet command-style economy,” he said. “And the Soviet Union, between 1928 when Stalin started pushing these five-year plans and the next 40 years, that was probably the most successful experience of economic growth in world history.

“The Soviet Union grew incredibly fast by taking millions of people in the countryside who were basically doing nothing except growing potatoes and doing subsistence agriculture and sticking them in factories and this created enormous improvement in income per capita and it fooled everybody. It fooled economics professors, it fooled the CIA, it even fooled the Soviet leadership.”

'Robinson, who co-authored the exhaustive socio-economic-political tome Why NationsFail, said — at the time, mind you — that all the commentary about China at the beginning of this decade had all the hallmarks of the same delusions.

“It wasn’t sustainable. They could only get so far with that model,” he says of the fallen USSR. “Now it seems sort of laughable that people ever thought the Soviet Union had a kind of model for economic success. But lots of that heavily influenced people. It’s very similar the way you go back 30 years and the discussion now of China exactly mirrors the discussion of the Soviet Union.” Asked by his interviewer if he was saying that Chinese growth would slow and it would not become the superpower everyone predicted, Robinson simply says: “Yeah.”

'Most telling, he says, is the false notion that the Chinese Communist Party has been a great manager of the economy. “It’s interesting the misconceptions about China. People think it’s the Chinese Communist Party that’s responsible (for economic growth). This has happened in spite of the Chinese Communist Party not because of the Chinese Communist Party. The economic growth in China has been caused by the Chinese Communist Party withdrawing from controlling every aspect of economic life. The first thing they did in 1978 was introduce incentives in agriculture. They sort of allowed people to start doing what they want and keep the income they got from doing what they want. And that led to enormous productivity in agriculture. And the same thing started happening with industry, they started relaxing controls.

“This is not a triumph of the Communist Party, this is the Communist Party pulling itself out of society a little bit.” Indeed. And now China is potentially on the brink of an economic crash because of CCP attempts to artificially prop up the property market. In fact the problem runs even deeper, straight to the core of what it means to be a liberal democracy. If people are not free or politically empowered, Robinson says, it is impossible to harness their full economic potential and therefore states that do not allow their citizens freedom will inevitably fail. Those that rely on forced labour especially so.

“What makes a society prosperous is whether or not it’s organised to harness the talents of its people,” he says. “The talents, the energies, the ideas, the creativity of its people.”

offog

LE
I see that the good old 5 year plan has been reserrected in China.

Interesting to see who's prediction comes to fruition first.

'Some truths take a long time to reveal themselves and a great and powerful truth might just be revealing itself to the world right about now. And one man predicted it a decade ago. We are perhaps witnessing the final flailing death throes of communism.

'In a podcast for BBC History Magazine in April 2012, the economist and political scientist James A. Robinson casually predicted that China would fall just as certainly as the Soviet Union did — despite both being lauded by the left and feared by the right. “In the early 1980s we were still being taught that if you really wanted to have successful economic growth you needed to have a Soviet command-style economy,” he said. “And the Soviet Union, between 1928 when Stalin started pushing these five-year plans and the next 40 years, that was probably the most successful experience of economic growth in world history.

“The Soviet Union grew incredibly fast by taking millions of people in the countryside who were basically doing nothing except growing potatoes and doing subsistence agriculture and sticking them in factories and this created enormous improvement in income per capita and it fooled everybody. It fooled economics professors, it fooled the CIA, it even fooled the Soviet leadership.”

'Robinson, who co-authored the exhaustive socio-economic-political tome Why NationsFail, said — at the time, mind you — that all the commentary about China at the beginning of this decade had all the hallmarks of the same delusions.

“It wasn’t sustainable. They could only get so far with that model,” he says of the fallen USSR. “Now it seems sort of laughable that people ever thought the Soviet Union had a kind of model for economic success. But lots of that heavily influenced people. It’s very similar the way you go back 30 years and the discussion now of China exactly mirrors the discussion of the Soviet Union.” Asked by his interviewer if he was saying that Chinese growth would slow and it would not become the superpower everyone predicted, Robinson simply says: “Yeah.”

'Most telling, he says, is the false notion that the Chinese Communist Party has been a great manager of the economy. “It’s interesting the misconceptions about China. People think it’s the Chinese Communist Party that’s responsible (for economic growth). This has happened in spite of the Chinese Communist Party not because of the Chinese Communist Party. The economic growth in China has been caused by the Chinese Communist Party withdrawing from controlling every aspect of economic life. The first thing they did in 1978 was introduce incentives in agriculture. They sort of allowed people to start doing what they want and keep the income they got from doing what they want. And that led to enormous productivity in agriculture. And the same thing started happening with industry, they started relaxing controls.

“This is not a triumph of the Communist Party, this is the Communist Party pulling itself out of society a little bit.” Indeed. And now China is potentially on the brink of an economic crash because of CCP attempts to artificially prop up the property market. In fact the problem runs even deeper, straight to the core of what it means to be a liberal democracy. If people are not free or politically empowered, Robinson says, it is impossible to harness their full economic potential and therefore states that do not allow their citizens freedom will inevitably fail. Those that rely on forced labour especially so.

“What makes a society prosperous is whether or not it’s organised to harness the talents of its people,” he says. “The talents, the energies, the ideas, the creativity of its people.”

The problem with making an analogy between the Soviet Union and present day China is that the Soviet Union had a communist economy until their collapse while China abandoned communism in all but name several decades ago. Indeed China's recent rapid economic development came about because they abandoned communism.

And indeed the author even admits that, which sort of undermines his whole argument comparing China to the Soviet Union.
The economic growth in China has been caused by the Chinese Communist Party withdrawing from controlling every aspect of economic life. The first thing they did in 1978 was introduce incentives in agriculture. They sort of allowed people to start doing what they want and keep the income they got from doing what they want. And that led to enormous productivity in agriculture. And the same thing started happening with industry, they started relaxing controls.

Instead China adopted the economic models of Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea, none of which by the way are models of pure free market capitalism. They all have varying sorts of government involvement in and direction of the economy. And both Taiwan and South Korea were until comparatively recently fairly brutal and ruthless dictatorships. But since they were both dependencies of the West instead of challengers we didn't have any problems with any of that.

The author however neglects to mention the dictatorships in Taiwan and South Korea and by failing to address those in any way he further undermines his whole argument.

He further fails in that his prediction of China not becoming a superpower is manifestly wrong because it has already happened. On PPP terms (which accounts for exchange rates) they are on par with the US if they have not already surpassed it. That makes them a superpower in economic terms, which is what is being discussed.
Asked by his interviewer if he was saying that Chinese growth would slow and it would not become the superpower everyone predicted, Robinson simply says: “Yeah.”

Now if you want to argue that the Communist Party of China will fall from power, as happened with the dictatorships in Taiwan and South Korea, then you might be in firmer ground. Their fall may be a gradual erosion of their power and influence within China rather than a dramatic event which appears in the headlines some day, but it would be no less real. They could be seen as paralleling Taiwan and South Korea in this. I wouldn't care to put any sort of timeline on this, but I wouldn't argue against it happening.

However, that wouldn't necessarily mean that China would be any easier to live with. They will continue to pursue their own interests, which won't necessarily be aligned with our own.

By mid century or shortly thereafter, India are expected to surpass the US in terms of economic power, with the latter falling into third place in the global pecking order. India aren't going to be any easier to live with either, as they too will pursue their own interests without regard to our own.

So overall, I would say that the story is both self-contradictory and poorly argued.

Latest Threads