America - its all a bit odd...

A long time ago (the early 80s) in a land far away right in the middle of the Cold War I was on a ship that was on a regular run between Yuznhe (Soviet Ukraine) and Stockton (CA).

The Cold War might be front and centre but in the background the USA was buying liquid ammonia from the USSR on a regular basis...
I recall a cartoon of Carter and Brezhnev(?) facing each other across a chess board. Arrayed in front of Brezhnev are numerous pieces shaped like missiles and bombs, In front of Carter a single piece in the shape of a wheatsheaf.

A long time ago (the early 80s) in a land far away right in the middle of the Cold War I was on a ship that was on a regular run between Yuznhe (Soviet Ukraine) and Stockton (CA).

The Cold War might be front and centre but in the background the USA was buying liquid ammonia from the USSR on a regular basis...
Yes the US and Soviet Union did conduct commerce, it was just kept rather hush, hush the so the masses wouldn’t realize we could conduct business.

The Green new deal is going to be shite on by America and China. Cheap energy is a must in order to have a prosperous economy and avoid civil unrest. It seems like Xi and Biden are only going to manage to make our countries more attached at the hip with their domestic policies.

Hmmmmm.....stand by for Major Down- Size USAAF ?......dig in Marines.... ?

The End of American Militarism?

President Joe Biden would like the world to believe that the United States is changing, and in big ways.
The American infatuation with war has ended, he told the UN General Assembly last month.

Going forward, the United States will no longer treat military power as “an answer to every problem we see around the world,” he said.

Central to the president’s message was an acknowledgment that in recent decades, the United States has not classified force as a “tool of last resort.” On the contrary, the promiscuous use of force has become a hallmark of American statecraft, so much so that phrases such as “endless war” and “forever wars” have become staples of everyday political discourse.

In this new era, U.S. global leadership remains important, Biden said, but the United States will lead “not just with the example of our power” but “with the power of our example.”

Assume that the president means what he said. Assume further that the Pentagon, the U.S. intelligence agencies, and the military-industrial complex (along with their allies in Congress and the media) concur with the commander in chief. How might his views translate into reality? What difference might they make? In that regard, Biden’s reference to force as a “tool of last resort” answers certain questions but avoids others.

It provides broad but not particularly helpful guidance as to when to use force—not too soon, but presumably just in time—and none whatsoever regarding what might justify the use of force. And it dodges altogether the most crucial question: In the present age, what is armed force good for?

------------------- ------------------ ---------------------------- ------------------------------ -----------

I doubt very much that Joe Biden has the sticking power to reduce the American Defense (sic) Industrial Complex
Did he give that speech himself or did one of his minions? He doesn't have the mental capacity to string along coherent sentences for speeches anymore because his dementia is so bad. And as for Sleepy Joe taking questions from the press corps, fugggettaboutit. His press secretary will mute his mike every time if given the chance.

Blank Looks Matter -2.png

Last edited:
The Chinese economy is doing rather poorly and they are signing long term energy contracts with American National gas firms to keep the lights on.

Just because the US is not engaged in nation building does not mean we are disarming. The US can still reach out and step on your dick should it be required.

I like that bit.

You like your dick being stepped on? I’m all for embracing the indigenous peoples culture, but you can keep that one for yourselves thank you.....
I’m picturing something similar to this, but with the ropes attached elsewhere.

untitled image

untitled image

You misunderstand - I'm the chappie who does the stepping on *(with Army Hobnail boots) not the one who is stepped on. You want to go full Richard Harris A Man Called Horse though and hang by your titties to prove you're a Man of the First People, I won't stop ya. Looks uncomfortable to me though. :?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
The bases in Germany, Italy, the UK, and other such locations aren't there to "garrison" those countries. They're there because they are conveniently located with respect to places the US does have an interest in such the Middle East and North Africa,. or rather, with the oil fields located there.
Agreed. Messenger; don't shoot the......

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
and this still makes me giggle....Texas, It's a Whole Other Country.

texas-signs.jpg.pro-cmg-scaled.jpg

Quite and the way it's government is going apparently soon to be twinned with Afghanistan.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's the same size as Germany - with a slightly lower GDP....

Texas GDP was $1,843,803M in 2019 according to BEA data .Pop: 29M

Germany GDP US$ 3,861,000M in 2019. Pop: 83M

Last edited:

texas-signs.jpg.pro-cmg-scaled.jpg

Can't find an image of it, but always remember seeing a sweatshirt on a trip to Aspen, Colorado in the late '80s emblazoned with 'If God had meant Texans to ski, he would have made bullshit white'.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
:-D

Boulder/Vail/Aspen is on the bucket list....I may need new knees first....

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads