America - its all a bit odd...

Fr SpodoKomodo

War Hero
From what I've seen of it the report is mostly waffle, jargon, and platitudes. I suspect though that none of the people involved from the victim end of things really wanted to put things clearly and succinctly because a clear look at things might reflect things about themselves they really don't want to see.

These women also don't want to say things that will reflect badly on their own ethnic group / tribe / band (however you want to put it) so they talk cryptically and with a lot of circumlocution. It's hard to mobilize public opinion though when nobody can understand what the actual issues are.

Read the above quotes though, as they give the clearest examples that I could find to make the situation concrete to you.

On a similar note, this is really really really fucked. Canadian plod used to abduct indigenous Inuits/first nationers at night and dump them in the middle of nowhere so they'd freeze to death.

It's gotten a lot of attention in Canada for some years now. A commission was set up to look into the situation and the report has been issued.

Reclaiming Power and Place: The Final Report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls

The biggest problem with trying to understand what the problems are is that there is a lot of talk about "there are problems" but nobody, especially the people doing the complaining, want to talk about actual concrete details.

I haven't read the report (it's huge, over a 1000 pages), but I did skim through looking for something that can make it more concrete. Here's a couple of the actual tangible examples of what it's all about.

These are three unrelated quotes so don't try to construct a narrative by trying to string them together. Just read them as thee unrelated stories.

From what I've seen of it the report is mostly waffle, jargon, and platitudes. I suspect though that none of the people involved from the victim end of things really wanted to put things clearly and succinctly because a clear look at things might reflect things about themselves they really don't want to see.

These women also don't want to say things that will reflect badly on their own ethnic group / tribe / band (however you want to put it) so they talk cryptically and with a lot of circumlocution. It's hard to mobilize public opinion though when nobody can understand what the actual issues are.

Read the above quotes though, as they give the clearest examples that I could find to make the situation concrete to you.
You might as well say "It's just Indians, who cares?"

You might as well say "It's just Indians, who cares?"
I guess not other Indians because tribal police are the ones with jurisdiction on reservations and if they don’t get cooperation from their own people, do you really think the natives are going to help non native police?

On a similar note, this is really really really fucked. Canadian plod used to abduct indigenous Inuits/first nationers at night and dump them in the middle of nowhere so they'd freeze to death.

If you want to talk about police brutality in Canada that's fine, but let's do that on the Canadian thread instead of hijacking this one.

Fr SpodoKomodo

War Hero
If you want to talk about police brutality in Canada that's fine, but let's do that on the Canadian thread instead of hijacking this one.

?

If you want to talk about the Final Report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls in Canada that's fine, but let's do that on the Canadian thread instead of hijacking this one.

?

If you want to talk about the Final Report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls in Canada that's fine, but let's do that on the Canadian thread instead of hijacking this one.
It was part of a thread digression, which started off with someone talking about native women disappearing in the US (which itself was a continuation of a supposed oddity regarding court jurisdictions).

That was responded to by someone comparing it to reports in Canada.

That was in turn responded to by me providing some context.

It was brought back on topic here by someone talking about the situation in the US.

And then I responded with the MMIW report in Canada which I believe is relevant as many of the same social factors will apply in the US and which shows that it's a big complex subject. I'm not aware of a similar sort of report in the US, although perhaps one of the American posters knows of one. Absent that however, it's the closest thing we have to the subject.

There's no shortage of American news stories on police brutality so we don't need to look to Canada for examples and explanations, unless your intention is to engage in an international compare and contrast discussion.

So yes you can argue that I am somewhat guilty of thread divergence, but while I am willing to discuss the subject I don't want to hijack the thread completely without at least some information which is relevant to the US.

Fr SpodoKomodo

War Hero
I knew it's a violent place but I didn't realise it was this catastrophically mental.

Britain has had 4 civvy mass shootings ever, as in not including the Kings 15th Hussars putting down peasant rebellions.

Hungerford 87, Dunblane 96, Cumbria 2010 and Plymouth 2021.

America has had 522 separate mass shootings in the last 9 months alone. There was one yesterday for fucks sake where someone shot up a supermarket, killing one and hitting 14. You probably haven't heard about it on the news because it's so normal in American society now.

It just keeps scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.

Mental.

The British police used to do something similar.

There's an interesting book called Nationality Wog - The Hounding of David Oluwale by Kester Aspden.

It also wasn't unusual for the police to give yobs a ride onto the moors and let them walk home in the rain. Possibly after a few slaps.

RaiderBoat

War Hero
The British police used to do something similar.

There's an interesting book called Nationality Wog - The Hounding of David Oluwale by Kester Aspden.

It also wasn't unusual for the police to give yobs a ride onto the moors and let them walk home in the rain. Possibly after a few slaps.
Ride Blue, Ride…

The level of ignorance shown by this news programme is utterly cringeworthy - but also funny!

Ritch

LE
The level of ignorance shown by this news programme is utterly cringeworthy - but also funny!

Anything outside of their bubble, their "greatest country on Earth mantra" and they don't have a Scooby.

Ritch

LE
@Sam The Bam - I wasn't on about all Americans. I have American friends who are perfectly knowledgeable of the wider world. I meant the news jockeys on the show.

@Sam The Bam - I wasn't on about all Americans. I have American friends who are perfectly knowledgeable of the wider world. I meant the news jockeys on the show.

That's how I read it anyway.

I presume that is a finance show and they were dealing with a specifically international finance issue - the level of financial/political/geographical knowledge of the presenters was dire.

"Why does Ireland use the euro and not the pound?" - stone me guv.

I presume that is a finance show and they were dealing with a specifically international finance issue - the level of financial/political/geographical knowledge of the presenters was dire.

At least they didn't ask when potatoes stopped being currency in Ireland.

Well, TECHNICALLY Ireland uses the pound - Northern Ireland.

They aren’t ??…

Is American grasp of history so poor that you never heard of the Great (Potato) Famine, which wiped out the 'cash' crop, meaning that they have to use rocks (sometimes referred to as Blarney stones) instead? ;)

Latest Threads