America - its all a bit odd...

Freakonomics seem to be doing a series on American culture.

And Chubby did spake unto the Lord saying, "Why dids't thou forsake me my God when I was at my hour of need?"

But the Lord waxed wroth and replied, "There was a bloody vaccine and if you and your sodding ilk had just covered your cake-holes with a bit of cloth you might have avoided it, what more did you want?. It's your own fault sonny-Jim.
Oh, and where in the flipping Bible did I tell you to eat every flipping pie you came across?"
He may or may not believe in the second coming but he certainly believes in the second helping.

State's Rights, poorly-drafted legislation, or just laziness?

'A glitch in the US Constitution has made the 80-km strip of land difficult to police, with part of it being Idaho and part of it Wyoming.

'A 2005 academic paper titled The Perfect Crime, by Michigan State University law professor Brian Kalt, said “there is a 50-square-mile (80km) swath of Idaho in which one might be able to commit felonies with impunity.”

'Prof Kalt has long called for Congress to redraw the state’s judicial boundaries and put Idaho’s section of Yellowstone into the District of Idaho.

'The entire Yellowstone National Park falls under the federal judicial district of Wyoming, including an uninhabited small strip of land behind the Idaho state border now known as the “zone of death.”

'The Sixth Amendment in the US constitution requires criminal prosecutions to be heard by a jury from the state and district where the crime was committed.

'However, due to the clash of the two states, it is potentially impossible to try someone for murder in the “zone of death” because there is no one to summon for a jury who lives in both the state of Idaho and the district of Wyoming.'

Person goes missing in monster wilderness. Happens to hundreds (if not thousands) of people every year on federal lands, national parks etc. No big mystery when, for example, a 69 year old man goes missing climbing a mountain on his own.

But! Being the USA these sadly missing/dead hikers, hunters, cyclists, climbers etc have generated their own conspiracy theory - the Missing 411.

Rather than have me explain it there is a quick concise overview here:

It was dreamed up by an all purpose CT nutter but exactly why is a bit of a mystery. All the data on disappearances he uses is genuine nad has been validated. The nutter seems to do his best to dream up coincidences (like two missing women, Pat and Pam, having three letter names starting with P. Hmmmm.).

Apart from a general beef with the National Parks Service "covering up something" that is about the extent of the CT.

You remember those Death Panels and Granny Killers that America was going to get from Yurop if they had healthcare reform?
They've arrived... in Republican Idaho:
“Universal DNR Order: Adult patients hospitalized during a public health emergency, when crisis standards of care have been declared (and a hospital is using the mechanical ventilation allocation framework due to demand for ventilators exceeding supply), should receive aggressive interventions; however, they should receive NO attempts at resuscitation (compressions, shocks or intubation if not yet intubated) in the event of cardiac arrest. The likelihood of survival after a cardiac arrest is extremely low for adult patients. As well, resuscitation poses significant risk to healthcare workers due to aerosolization of body fluids and uses large quantities of scarce resources such as staff time, personal protective equipment, and lifesaving medications, with minimal opportunity for benefit.”

Eyes_Right

Old-Salt
Person goes missing in monster wilderness. Happens to hundreds (if not thousands) of people every year on federal lands, national parks etc. No big mystery when, for example, a 69 year old man goes missing climbing a mountain on his own.

But! Being the USA these sadly missing/dead hikers, hunters, cyclists, climbers etc have generated their own conspiracy theory - the Missing 411.

Rather than have me explain it there is a quick concise overview here:

It was dreamed up by an all purpose CT nutter but exactly why is a bit of a mystery. All the data on disappearances he uses is genuine nad has been validated. The nutter seems to do his best to dream up coincidences (like two missing women, Pat and Pam, having three letter names starting with P. Hmmmm.).

Apart from a general beef with the National Parks Service "covering up something" that is about the extent of the CT.

As soon as you saw pictures of this particular missing girl next to her boyfriend, you didn't need your Hercule Poirot diploma to join the dots. It's just a question of whether he gives it up or keeps her whereabouts in his head.

Also here in the US, many more ugly, old and generally non-photogenic people go missing every year without so much as a column inch of a mention. If you're going to get killed by a demented boyfriend, being white, blond and attractive will at least get you national media coverage. Sucks to be ugly and a victim...

As soon as you saw pictures of this particular missing girl next to her boyfriend, you didn't need your Hercule Poirot diploma to join the dots. It's just a question of whether he gives it up or keeps her whereabouts in his head.

Also here in the US, many more ugly, old and generally non-photogenic people go missing every year without so much as a column inch of a mention. If you're going to get killed by a demented boyfriend, being white, blond and attractive will at least get you national media coverage. Sucks to be ugly and a victim...
There was a story I read a few moths back from that part of the world about dozens or possibly hundreds of Native women going missing.

This is a more recent story that came up in a cursory Google: 710 Indigenous people, mostly girls, were reported missing over the past decade in Wyoming, the same state where Gabby Petito reportedly disappeared

The one I read talked about a number being found dead but nobody bothering to do anything due to apathy and jurisdictional willy-waving because often the disappearances and deaths would be just off the reservation and out of it's police's area but the local sheriff wouldn't bother.
It occurred to me that the reservations could do worse than setting up their own Coroner's Courts who would at least have the right to hold Inquests if someone was returned to their jurisdiction for burial.

offog

LE
State's Rights, poorly-drafted legislation, or just laziness?

'A glitch in the US Constitution has made the 80-km strip of land difficult to police, with part of it being Idaho and part of it Wyoming.

'A 2005 academic paper titled The Perfect Crime, by Michigan State University law professor Brian Kalt, said “there is a 50-square-mile (80km) swath of Idaho in which one might be able to commit felonies with impunity.”

'Prof Kalt has long called for Congress to redraw the state’s judicial boundaries and put Idaho’s section of Yellowstone into the District of Idaho.

'The entire Yellowstone National Park falls under the federal judicial district of Wyoming, including an uninhabited small strip of land behind the Idaho state border now known as the “zone of death.”

'The Sixth Amendment in the US constitution requires criminal prosecutions to be heard by a jury from the state and district where the crime was committed.

'However, due to the clash of the two states, it is potentially impossible to try someone for murder in the “zone of death” because there is no one to summon for a jury who lives in both the state of Idaho and the district of Wyoming.'

Body found.

I had a shufti at the HermanCainAwards. Full of stuff like:
  • Couple refuses to get vaccinated.
  • They spread conspiracy theories about the pandemic.
  • Delta is no match for the "Alpha and the Omega.
  • Both catch COVID-19 and die
  • They leave behind 7 children.
  • We honor Brenda and Marcus Smalls with two #HermanCainAward(s).
It was good for a laugh and poking sticks at antivaxx morons but there is a sad side to it when you think what might happen to those kids now their parents have effectively offed themselves.

Been going on for a while now. From 1903:

1632134514472.png

It's amazing how many children some of these people seem to have, Africa gets a kicking for overbreeding but they don't consume a fraction of the resources that the average American does let alone the tubs of lard that Covid seems to be killing with gusto.

I also sympathise with the children being dumped into care because of this, the sheer numbers have got to be taxing the system in some states.

There was a story I read a few moths back from that part of the world about dozens or possibly hundreds of Native women going missing.

This is a more recent story that came up in a cursory Google: 710 Indigenous people, mostly girls, were reported missing over the past decade in Wyoming, the same state where Gabby Petito reportedly disappeared

The one I read talked about a number being found dead but nobody bothering to do anything due to apathy and jurisdictional willy-waving because often the disappearances and deaths would be just off the reservation and out of it's police's area but the local sheriff wouldn't bother.
It occurred to me that the reservations could do worse than setting up their own Coroner's Courts who would at least have the right to hold Inquests if someone was returned to their jurisdiction for burial.
In Canada it’s over 4,000 missing native women, every once in a while one will disappear and the numbers will appear all over the media again like it’s a newly discovered conspiracy. The fact is most who go missing tend to be substance abusers and happen to be thumbing a ride in the middle of nowhere. Theory is that it’s artic drivers as they have the easiest means of getting the women inside the cab then it’s just a matter of doing the deed and ditching the body in the middle of nowhere never to be found.

In Canada it’s over 4,000 missing native women, every once in a while one will disappear and the numbers will appear all over the media again like it’s a newly discovered conspiracy. The fact is most who go missing tend to be substance abusers and happen to be thumbing a ride in the middle of nowhere. Theory is that it’s artic drivers as they have the easiest means of getting the women inside the cab then it’s just a matter of doing the deed and ditching the body in the middle of nowhere never to be found.

Errm . . . any idea where the favourite spots might be?

I'm just curio . . .

A friend.

A friend is just curious, is all.

The ones who go off to Edmonton to become prostitutes may not be phoning their mums regularly to tell them what they are up to. A lot tend to involve family break ups of one sort or another. It's a bit of a stretch to go from "left home and family lost contact with them" to "some unknown person is kidnapping all these girls and murdering them". And if there are any murders involved, suspect number one would probably be the husband / boyfriend.

The ones who go off to Edmonton to become prostitutes may not be phoning their mums regularly to tell them what they are up to. A lot tend to involve family break ups of one sort or another. It's a bit of a stretch to go from "left home and family lost contact with them" to "some unknown person is kidnapping all these girls and murdering them". And if there are any murders involved, suspect number one would probably be the husband / boyfriend.
Jeez you racist bastard, here l am supporting our aboriginals theory about why there are so many disappeared and you point out they have the same issues as every other segment of society.....it's whitety's fault l tells ya, it all whitey's doing, nothing to do with poor choices at all....

Jeez you racist bastard, here l am supporting our aboriginals theory about why there are so many disappeared and you point out they have the same issues as every other segment of society.....it's whitety's fault l tells ya, it all whitey's doing, nothing to do with poor choices at all....
The impression I got from the article about the US situation was that while many had buggered off elsewhere, sometimes into prostitution (itself not exactly a fun topic), where there were deaths or suspicious disappearances off the reservations nobody was really all that interested.

The impression I got from the article about the US situation was that while many had buggered off elsewhere, sometimes into prostitution (itself not exactly a fun topic), where there were deaths or suspicious disappearances off the reservations nobody was really all that interested.
It's gotten a lot of attention in Canada for some years now. A commission was set up to look into the situation and the report has been issued.

Reclaiming Power and Place: The Final Report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls

The biggest problem with trying to understand what the problems are is that there is a lot of talk about "there are problems" but nobody, especially the people doing the complaining, want to talk about actual concrete details.

I haven't read the report (it's huge, over a 1000 pages), but I did skim through looking for something that can make it more concrete. Here's a couple of the actual tangible examples of what it's all about.

These are three unrelated quotes so don't try to construct a narrative by trying to string them together. Just read them as thee unrelated stories.

She [Cherisse] was – on the street and she was addicted to drugs. And, there was one time there when she said to me, “Mommy, I need help.” This was after she had her son. She was still doing drugs, and then she finally realized that she wanted to get the help she needs so she could be a good mom.

So, she said to me that she needed help, if I could phone her CFS [Child and Family Services] worker so they could place her in a locked facility so she doesn’t have to run to the streets to do drugs. I guess she used drugs, too, to cope because they took her son right at birth.

So, I phoned her worker, and her worker said to call back. So, I called back and she said there’s no facilities that could take Cherisse, and I guess that she – I guess she felt let down or – you know?

So, she went back to the street, and a week after that, that’s when – couple weeks after that, that’s when they found her body. 13

July 20th, 2010, is the day I went to the police station by myself without an interpreter. I knew I needed help to locate my daughter. When I arrived, I took a picture and a note to give to the police. I handed my note to the officer. He just looked and acted like it was not important. He ignored me. I was so angry as he was not helping me. I banged my hand hard on the counter. This is when he looked at me and handed me a witness statement.

I had no idea what I was to do with that paper. No one explained what I needed to write on that green paper. I looked for the officer to help me, but he was back on his computer, acting like I was not important or what I needed was not important. Once again, I slammed my hand hard on the desk. Finally a big man in a white shirt came and tried to help me. Once I was done with the paper, I gave it to the big man in the white shirt and I left.

I left the police station very angry and upset. The next day, I went back to the police station with an interpreter and filled out and completed my statement. Without an interpreter, communication was difficult. 15

She explained that because of the lack of shelters or transition houses and the high cost of living in the North, “It’s near impossible for a woman to actually leave a relationship and not live in deep poverty.” 40 She went on to describe how this economic vulnerability makes staying physically safe even harder for women living in violent relationships: “Many women are just one argument with their spouse away from being on the streets.

From what I've seen of it the report is mostly waffle, jargon, and platitudes. I suspect though that none of the people involved from the victim end of things really wanted to put things clearly and succinctly because a clear look at things might reflect things about themselves they really don't want to see.

These women also don't want to say things that will reflect badly on their own ethnic group / tribe / band (however you want to put it) so they talk cryptically and with a lot of circumlocution. It's hard to mobilize public opinion though when nobody can understand what the actual issues are.

Read the above quotes though, as they give the clearest examples that I could find to make the situation concrete to you.

I prefer to think along these lines...from personal experience over the last 50 years of visiting the US. And that only started in my twenties. About the time this happened.

Yes times do change, but residual character remains.

Latest Threads