America - its all a bit odd...

France is quite nice. The unfortunate bit is the fact that the French live there.
Bit like Germany then?!

Yes, I know the French don't live there, it's the resident Germans that spoil the place ;) .

Here's the beer aisle at my local supermarket.

View attachment 322685

Every one of those fridges on the right contains beer.

They carry Warsteiner, Beck's, St Pauli, Leffe, Duvel, Stella, Kronenbourg, Carlsberg, Guinness, Boddingtons, Nuclear Brown, Presidente, Modelo, Red Stripe, San Miguel, Heineken, Amstel and Corona to name a few. Then there's the American mass market brands, the Budweisers, the Millers, Coors, Pabst etc. Then there's the craft brews. About a quarter of that aisle is craft brews. There's wheat beers, IPAs, stouts, you name it.

If somebody couldn't find a beer they were happy with there, I'd suggest they're being too picky. About the only thing that's hard to find is a British-style cask ale on draught. But I don't particularly care for those anyway, so no loss as far as I'm concerned. Bear in mind too, I live in a rural area, some way from town. Not in a major city. This supermarket is 3 or miles from me.

So, to answer the question, just about anywhere.
Every day is indeed a school day, thanks for that. I’m visiting your parish later this year and look forward to trying some of your recommendations.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
and I'm visiting the Right Coast next month, so will check out Newport News area for extensive stock of Yurpean suds also. Unfortunately not Southern California so Socal Sapper is safe from real world visiting :)

To be honest I quite like Michelob anyway :)

Bit like Germany then?!

Yes, I know the French don't live there, it's the resident Germans that spoil the place ;) .
Sorry, but although I'm a big fan of Germany and loved living there, as a country it doesn't come close to France. France manages to cover just about type of terrain and climate that it is possible to find in Europe (except the frozen Scandi North). It has the Med, the Alps, the Atlantic for drizzle loving Brits, and a baking hot interior just for starters, while Paris makes Berlin look like Birmingham.

Of course, the Germans make better beer, but German wine is pretty awful stuff.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sorry, but although I'm a big fan of Germany and loved living there, as a country it doesn't come close to France. France manages to cover just about type of terrain and climate that it is possible to find in Europe (except the frozen Scandi North). It has the Med, the Alps, the Atlantic for drizzle loving Brits, and a baking hot interior just for starters, while Paris makes Berlin look like Birmingham.

When was the last time you went to Paris? Don't get me wrong, I love Paris but it's not as good as Berlin, we've been going to Paris for the past 5 years on odd weekends and it's gone downhill during that time.

and I'm visiting the Right Coast next month, so will check out Newport News area for extensive stock of Yurpean suds also. Unfortunately not Southern California so Socal Sapper is safe from real world visiting :)

To be honest I quite like Michelob anyway :)
You like Michelob and expect an invitation? I might as well break out the Miller lite...

Bit like Germany then?!

mostly it was other nationalities that spoiled it while I was in Germany. Somewhat like the 'Russian Tourists' and their 'Girlfriends' in Cyprus.

When was the last time you went to Paris? Don't get me wrong, I love Paris but it's not as good as Berlin, we've been going to Paris for the past 5 years on odd weekends and it's gone downhill during that time.
I've been to both Paris and Berlin recently.

Different culture: I was beside a swimming pool in the US. One woman swimming in the water called out to another young women who was sat reading aside the pool. "Anne are you coming in?" to which the other replied loudly " Sorry not today, I'm having my periods right now!" I know that perhaps should not shock; however it was 40 years ago!

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
View attachment 297903
This is the type of thing that puts me off visiting.
Same planet, different universe!

Reminds me of my first ever holiday to the USA, a year after I left the mob 1989. Cheap TWA flight to St Louis, hire car booked, hotel vouchers and a mastercard with £500 on it, pocket full of dollars. The plan was to pick up the car and drive south west, no other plan apart from possibly meeting up with a USAF girl I knew from my time at Greenham Common. She was now based in New Mexico. Off the plane found my suit case pretty quick and head to passport control.
I got to the front of queue, black immigration officer, big gun and badge etc before I said anything "get your bag and wait over there" she says. I start acting like a confused Hugh Grant, she repeats the order this time giving me a hard stare.
Nearly an hour later her colleague call's me out. I hand over all my documents, he seems unimpressed
"why are you here?" he demands.
On holiday I say. "really" he says.
I'm told to open my bags, he searches through all my new clothes bought for the trip.
"these clothes look new are you planning on selling them?"
I found that funny, he looks more angry "why are you here, for medical treatment?"
Of course not I'm British we have the NHS its all free for Brit's. He's not convinced about me or the NHS.
He repeats the questions asking me why I'm there in St Louis on a snowy April day supposedly on holiday. He asks who I work for, I tell him ex military now working for the family business. He searches my kit again, this time he finds the note book with the address of Canon AFB where my USAF friend is now based. He looks horrified! Why have you got this? he demands. I told him about how we worked together in England. He asks again why am I here and what for? I roll my eyes, he now puts his hand on his gun and calls his supervisor over.
I am convinced that I am going to be deported as a commie spy or at least a criminal.
He mumbles to his mate shaking his head and pointing to the air base address.
His super takes over "why are you here, are you here to work, are you going to marry this woman, etc.
Surprisingly they stamp my passport warning me "You better be out by end of may" I point to my return flight ticket for 2 weeks time, he dismisses it and repeats the order. Bewildered and jet lagged I pack up my case and drag it to the next bloke in uniform, gun, badge-customs, he's just spent the last hour watching me being interrogated "why are you here?"
I got to the Alamo hire car office 2 hours late the guy there says little but asks for my credit card and swipes it for £250 for extra insurance even though I had bought full insurance before leaving home.
I drive for an hour before exhausted I find a hotel, I ask the receptionist for a room she bursts out laughing, thinking that this isn't a hotel, she assures me it is but says "gee I just love your Australian accent" I crawl into bed wondering what I've done in coming here.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
You like Michelob and expect an invitation? I might as well break out the Miller lite...
It was in Texas in 2004....I'm sure things have moved on, some.

Reminds me of my first ever holiday to the USA, a year after I left the mob 1989. Cheap TWA flight to St Louis, hire car booked, hotel vouchers and a mastercard with £500 on it, pocket full of dollars. The plan was to pick up the car and drive south west, no other plan apart from possibly meeting up with a USAF girl I knew from my time at Greenham Common. She was now based in New Mexico. Off the plane found my suit case pretty quick and head to passport control.
I got to the front of queue, black immigration officer, big gun and badge etc before I said anything "get your bag and wait over there" she says. I start acting like a confused Hugh Grant, she repeats the order this time giving me a hard stare.
Nearly an hour later her colleague call's me out. I hand over all my documents, he seems unimpressed
I'm told to open my bags, he searches through all my new clothes bought for the trip.
I found that funny, he looks more angry "why are you here, for medical treatment?"
Of course not I'm British we have the NHS its all free for Brit's. He's not convinced about me or the NHS.
He repeats the questions asking me why I'm there in St Louis on a snowy April day supposedly on holiday. He asks who I work for, I tell him ex military now working for the family business. He searches my kit again, this time he finds the note book with the address of Canon AFB where my USAF friend is now based. He looks horrified! Why have you got this? he demands. I told him about how we worked together in England. He asks again why am I here and what for? I roll my eyes, he now puts his hand on his gun and calls his supervisor over.
I am convinced that I am going to be deported as a commie spy or at least a criminal.
His super takes over "why are you here, are you here to work, are you going to marry this woman, etc.
Surprisingly they stamp my passport warning me "You better be out by end of may" I point to my return flight ticket for 2 weeks time, he dismisses it and repeats the order. Bewildered and jet lagged I pack up my case and drag it to the next bloke in uniform, gun, badge-customs, he's just spent the last hour watching me being interrogated "why are you here?"
I got to the Alamo hire car office 2 hours late the guy there says little but asks for my credit card and swipes it for £250 for extra insurance even though I had bought full insurance before leaving home.
I drive for an hour before exhausted I find a hotel, I ask the receptionist for a room she bursts out laughing, thinking that this isn't a hotel, she assures me it is but says "gee I just love your Australian accent" I crawl into bed wondering what I've done in coming here.
Sadly, it's still very much the same. If you are a cheerless prick with an inferiority complex the Department of Homeland security is definitely the place to be.

In Toronto when flying to the US you get to clear immigration and customs here, before the flight. So they get to be rude and obnoxious before you even get there.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Arriving 2030 Dulles - heading South in a hire car...reasonable place to stop within 20 minute drive?

Arriving 2030 Dulles - heading South in a hire car...reasonable place to stop within 20 minute drive?
You want to know 12 years ahead?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted :)

Aye they are a bunch of humourless pricks that lot. A month after the 9/11 attacks the wife and I returned to the US from the UK after visiting family. I was pulled to one side at passport control, made to wait over an hour before being interviewed by a twat with a little man complex despite me being a US passport holder.

She being a septic got through no problem, could be I was pulled over because of my Jockanese accent. I reckon those cnuts at airport immigration control have to undergo a charisma and humour bypass before they are let loose on the travelling public.

A lot of Germans and Dutch use France for their holidays.This causes some upset amongst the locals as they tend to take food and drink with them and not spend locally.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr_C_Hinecap US 7
POGscribbler The NAAFI Bar 78
Ord_Sgt The Intelligence Cell 22