America - its all a bit odd...

Beach cottages tend to be furnished with second hand or old stuff. Unless you're made of money you're not going to put brand new stuff in somewhere you're only going to use part of the year. An old stove like that is fine for cooking eggs on at breakfast, which is probably all it will get used for. Supper will probably be done on the barbecue and I doubt the wife is going to be doing any baking on vacation.

You should also have noticed that the chairs are worn with the paint rubbed off in places. It's probably old furniture repainted white to cover up the wear and make it match. Again though, Steamy didn't fly half way across a continent in order to be spending a lot of time indoors, so it's not a problem.

There are loads of beach cottages in my area (southwestern Ontario), but they were all booked up for the summer at least 6 months ago by people who knew they weren't going abroad on vacation this year. If it's like that in the US then Steamy should consider himself lucky to get anything that was reasonably habitable.
We booked this in December, and planned for the heavy vacation season. But houses to rent were nonexistent 8 months ago.

endure

GCM
You'll have to narrow it down a bit more than that on here.
As I've mentioned on here before I dance at the other end of the ballroom so twats aren't really my area of expertise.

The only real life twat I've ever seen is the one I fell out of 72 years ago and, to be honest, my memories of that momentous day are rather hazy.

I have a lifetime experience of veiny treats though and while I'm sure that mrdude is veiny I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would regard him as a treat...

There are loads of beach cottages in my area (southwestern Ontario), but they were all booked up for the summer at least 6 months ago by people who knew they weren't going abroad on vacation this year. If it's like that in the US then Steamy should consider himself lucky to get anything that was reasonably habitable.
No kidding, it’s thanks to all those fücking city cünts l couldn’t get anything at the drive-in tonight because the lineup was over 25 people and even the chippy was an hour wait, did l mention l hate tourists and cottage goers in our region before?

I'm sure there's a massive block of writing on this somewhere, but it would be interesting to know why Ike decided a road network was a priority, versus doing a proper job of local, regional, and transcontinental rail. Even for defence purposes, you're not moving anything really useful across half the continent on the road.
Part of Ike’s interest in a national road system comes from his participation in the Army’s first transcontinental convey in 1919.

1919 Transcontinental Motor Convoy | Eisenhower Presidential Library

No kidding, it’s thanks to all those fücking city cünts l couldn’t get anything at the drive-in tonight because the lineup was over 25 people and even the chippy was an hour wait, did l mention l hate tourists and cottage goers in our region before?
There are people "working from home" from the cottage so long as they have reasonable Internet. Some people are going to be very sad when this pandemic is over.

Time to take a little beach stroll and walk into South Carolina.
9DF46202-74E6-4C9C-ACE9-E89B02115F98.jpeg
F1C663AF-FC12-483C-812F-EC0AE5782F09.jpeg

There are people "working from home" from the cottage so long as they have reasonable Internet. Some people are going to be very sad when this pandemic is over.
Here's a Cottage a Buddy and I renovated during the lockdown in April / May this year up in the Kawartha Lake area. Started when the lake was frozen solid temps in the minus -10's and ended when the boat dock was back in the water and temps in the +18 / 24.

The Cottage had not been upgraded for over 40 years and had been empty for a few years while the family fought between themselves for ownership or a buyout. It took a solid week to rip out the old stinking carpet and do a clean up.

__FenelonFalls 1.jpg

After putting in insulated sub-floors, upgrading the plumbing and electrickery throughout the cottage. we started the finishing touches.

Kitchen. We installed a window and later new appliances.
_FenelonFalls 2.jpg

Dining Room. The 50 yr old original Tiffany Lamp was on a severe DO NOT TOUCH policy.
_FenelonFalls 3.jpg

Hallway. Because of the new insulated raised floor we had to chop every door down to size.
_FenelonFalls 4.jpg

Bathroom. New Sink, Bog, & Shower unit. (We did use professional plumbers & Electrician's when necessary).
_FenelonFalls 6.jpg

End part 1.

Part 2.

The front rooms overlooking the lake.

We installed a 2nd toilet and a closet in a small room back left of this pic.
We also removed the old shitty door, redid the wall and installed a new sliding door.
_FenelonFalls 5.jpg

The brown ceiling rafters are original but we installed insulating foamboards' and new panels in between each one. The same was done underneath the windows.
_FenelonFalls 9.jpg

BTW, The window's are original and some of them (4) could be opened. Freezing cold Gale Force winds would howl through the gaps, blocked quickly with packing tape.
One of the owner's is American, hence the flag and a reason to post in this thread. :)
_FenelonFalls 7.jpg

2nd room.
_FenelonFalls 8.jpg

And there you go, job jobbed, thanks for looking.

Part 2.

The front rooms overlooking the lake.

We installed a 2nd toilet and a closet in a small room back left of this pic.
We also removed the old shitty door, redid the wall and installed a new sliding door.
View attachment 593629

The brown ceiling rafters are original but we installed insulating foamboards' and new panels in between each one. The same was done underneath the windows.
View attachment 593631

BTW, The window's are original and some of them (4) could be opened. Freezing cold Gale Force winds would howl through the gaps, blocked quickly with packing tape.
One of the owner's is American, hence the flag and a reason to post in this thread. :)
View attachment 593632

2nd room.
View attachment 593634

And there you go, job jobbed, thanks for looking.
That is a load of work to do. I hope all concerned have had a good summer using it so far.

Very odd thing on the Last Week Tonight With John Oliver show last night (odd sentence!).

A woman getting off a Boston subway train slipped and got her leg trapped between the platform and the carriage. Passengers immediately tried to help her by rocking the carriage to extricate her leg.

Awful scene on the orange line. A woman’s leg got stuck in the gap between the train and the platform. It was twisted and bloody. Skin came off. She’s in agony and weeping. Just as upsetting she begged no one call an ambulance. “It’s $3000,” she wailed. “I can’t afford that.”
Story here: 'I can't afford that': Woman trapped by subway train begs bystanders not to call ambulance

A bit of a WTF moment.

He covered another case of a pregnant woman whose waters broke and she gave birth in the car whilst her husband was driving her to the hospital. Called an ambulance, the EMS guy cut the umbilical and took mother and baby to the hospital. She got two bills for $1,750 - one for her and one for the baby. The drive to the hospital was 100 yards.

That is a load of work to do. I hope all concerned have had a good summer using it so far.
Originally we were hired to build a new gazebo (through Home Depot), shall we say it escalated. :)

Good people to work for they purchased the materials, bought in lunch, coffee daily etc, and paid us every Friday without fail.

13/4 hour drive each way, they even chipped in $40 a week for traveling costs.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Very odd thing on the Last Week Tonight With John Oliver show last night (odd sentence!).

A woman getting off a Boston subway train slipped and got her leg trapped between the platform and the carriage. Passengers immediately tried to help her by rocking the carriage to extricate her leg.

Awful scene on the orange line. A woman’s leg got stuck in the gap between the train and the platform. It was twisted and bloody. Skin came off. She’s in agony and weeping. Just as upsetting she begged no one call an ambulance. “It’s $3000,” she wailed. “I can’t afford that.”
Story here: 'I can't afford that': Woman trapped by subway train begs bystanders not to call ambulance

A bit of a WTF moment.

He covered another case of a pregnant woman whose waters broke and she gave birth in the car whilst her husband was driving her to the hospital. Called an ambulance, the EMS guy cut the umbilical and took mother and baby to the hospital. She got two bills for $1,750 - one for her and one for the baby. The drive to the hospital was 100 yards.
Is it just me that thinks the first one could have got a cab and the second one's husband could have driven that last 100 yards?

Is it just me that thinks the first one could have got a cab and the second one's husband could have driven that last 100 yards?

In an ideal world I guess so.

The first woman was probably responding to someone who shouted "call an ambulance". I assume she got to hospital somehow (assuming she had insurance).

The husband might be excused logical/rational thought given a kid had just popped out of his wife's muff on the rear seats.

View attachment 593391

Canada

Upsets U.S. With 1-0 Win In Women's Wendy Ball​

KASHIMA, Japan (AP) — Carli Lloyd, clutch in so many critical moments fcuked up royally when she failed to connect against Canada on Monday night and the Americans won't play for a fifth Olympic gold medal.​

By Anne M. Peterson, The Associated Press
Published on 8/2/2021 at 10:55 AM
I don't follow the Olympics except for the swimming events and the track. What is Wendy Ball? Is that the same thing as what I know as soccer?

A bit of a WTF moment.

And yet every day I work in NYC I see EMT Ambulances called for junkies who pass out by Penn Station and I know that bill isnt getting paid. Not to mention responding NYPD, FDNY wasting their time for this vermin. In the winter months they do it to get free 48 hours in hospital and hot food, warm bed and the taxpayer pays.

I've not seen a cooker like that since the 1980's, even in those days that was an old one.

I thought the US of A was a modern country?
When I lived on long Island by the sound there was no gas line as town was a good 3 miles away past the state park so the range was electric burners

Sam, Roadster and me all have Made in the UK stamped on our arrses so we were bought up with different mindsets. Like Sam I have a collection of guns which I only use for shooting, I do not carry as I apply commonsense, stay away from dodgy areas, and keep my eyes open when out and about.

We have a law arriving here in Texarrse as of the 1st of September: There is no longer a need to attend and pass a concealed carry course in order to be allowed to legally carry a concealed firearm in public. All the crazies who would never pass the concealed course will see it as an ok to carry, so its going to get interesting. I foresee road rage shootings, and argumentative shootings, and bystander injuries going up dramatically.

Different mindset. I find on the odd occasions I do carry, I'm excruciatingly polite and will avoid situations I'd be quite happy addressing while not carrying a firearm.

I think it could be a fear of the masses of paperwork and dealing with the official mongery that would follow if I were forced into a situation where I'd have to use it.

Yes we do but it's not sufficiently widespread that the population at large feels the need to carry a gun. The definition of violent crime in the UK is also different to that in the US.

I wasn't actually talking about the levels of crime in either country. I was talking about the way that US citizens (using you as an example) seem unable to conceive of other places where not feeling the need to be armed is a thing.

Each to their own. The only thing that pisses me off is that the assumption by a lot of US folks is that because we have no wish to be armed we're somehow in thrall to the big bad government who are going to rain fire and brimstone on us at a moment of their choosing.

Reverse that and see it from a UK perspective - knowing nothing of the situation, the average firearm fearing Pom regards them as a bunch of crazed murderers running around with machine guns purchased over the counter at the 7-11, looking for someone to kill. Most in the US like Sam, Steamboat et al see it as just another tool to be used in situations requiring its use, and are probably somewhat offended by being told by someone not even in their country what they should be allowed to own.

The majority of problems once again stemming from a minority of users not paying much attention to the legalities.

Latest Threads