America - its all a bit odd...

Fr SpodoKomodo

War Hero
Ipso_Dipshit, what do you make of this?

Yes my wife gets a $600.00 bonus for getting the jab.

But it has been a thankless task trying to nudge a few coworkers into getting the jab, and these are the folks who really need it. Because if they get the Delta they are up the creek.
All l got was a peak down the blouse that the nurse was wearing when l got the jab, not 600, but she was fit and l am old....

All l got was a peak down the blouse that the nurse was wearing when l got the jab, not 600, but she was fit and l am old....
1627499632496.png

I didn't see this on the main stream news in UK - 2 female cops in Detroit flee a (mostly peaceful) drive by shooting.

Maybe some cops are wondering why bother getting involved when your government/supervisors will try and bring you down if the criminals don't. I am not surprised at this to be honest with the way cops are being treated.

I didn't see this on the main stream news in UK - 2 female cops in Detroit flee a (mostly peaceful) drive by shooting.

Maybe some cops are wondering why bother getting involved when your government/supervisors will try and bring you down if the criminals don't. I am not surprised at this to be honest with the way cops are being treated.
You’re not very familiar with the Detroit police department are you?

You’re not very familiar with the Detroit police department are you?
As I don't live in Detroit or the USA - no I am not, and either are pretty much everyone else that doesn't live there, and either are people that are not criminals or members of the police force, what's your point?

As I don't live in Detroit or the USA - no I am not, and either are pretty much everyone else that doesn't live there, and either are people that are not criminals or members of the police force, what's your point?
The Detroit police force is underfunded and more importantly massively undermanned. For a single patrol car to take on types all tooled up in an industrial area knowing full well the chances of receiving backup in a reasonable time is pretty slim, their reaction isn’t unexpected.

The Detroit police force is underfunded and more importantly massively undermanned. For a single patrol car to take on types all tooled up in an industrial area knowing full well the chances of receiving backup in a reasonable time is pretty slim, their reaction isn’t unexpected.
So it's a Democratic run city - you can only blame them for how useless they are running the city and how the police is funded and run. Just a few months back a lot of these Dems were marching about asking for the police to be defunded.

These people in charge are unfit to run anything, they never take responsibility for their actions and are always looking to blame others. When you have police basically running/driving away from a crime so they don't need to get involved, you know you have broken the system.

@mrdude , Detroit has been a Democratic run city since 1962, right after that is when the exodus started leading to the lovely city it is today. In 2013 Detroit went bankrupt and you would think that would have changed the mentality but no, just changed to another mismanaged direction. In 2019 there was a 25% unemployment rate and to attract new business to the city they were offered incentives like zero business taxes. The result today is the city continuously runs a deficit as the coffers are never remotely full and city services from infrastructure to police and fire departments are the ones who pay the price. Detroit has been broken since the race riots of the 60’s and will never be fixed.

@mrdude , Detroit has been a Democratic run city since 1962, right after that is when the exodus started leading to the lovely city it is today. In 2013 Detroit went bankrupt and you would think that would have changed the mentality but no, just changed to another mismanaged direction. In 2019 there was a 25% unemployment rate and to attract new business to the city they were offered incentives like zero business taxes. The result today is the city continuously runs a deficit as the coffers are never remotely full and city services from infrastructure to police and fire departments are the ones who pay the price. Detroit has been broken since the race riots of the 60’s and will never be fixed.
Detroit peaked sometime around 1950 and was already in major decline by the 1960s. Here's some census data showing population.

Census​
City​
Metro​
City Vs Metro​
1900​
285704​
542452​
53%​
1910​
465766​
725064​
64%​
1920​
993678​
1426704​
70%​
1930​
1568662​
2325739​
67%​
1940​
1623452​
2544287​
64%​
1950​
1849568​
3219256​
57%​
1960​
1670144​
4012607​
42%​
1970​
1514063​
4490902​
34%​
1980​
1203368​
4387783​
27%​
1990​
1027974​
4266654​
24%​
2000​
951270​
4441551​
21%​
2010​
713777​
4296250​
17%​

When people talk about the decline of Detroit they are referring to the "City of Detroit", which is the inner core area. What happened was that the population moved out from there into the surrounding metro region. More recently there has been additional migration out of metro Detroit into the wider region around that, but I'll leave that aside.

The right hand column shows the population of the city as compared to the metro region. In those terms the peak for "Detroit" was in 1920.

The rate sped up however in the post WWII era when the federal government poured vast sums of money into new highways. People had cars and now they had highways on which to use them. They could move out of their cramped apartments and small homes within the city limits, buy large homes on larger lots in the suburbs and be able to commute to work quite readily. At the same time, the city shut down much of their municipal transit system, making city life even less appealing.

Meanwhile the city's economy had been founded on industry and that too was going through changes. Newer factory layouts required large properties in large single floor grade level buildings. The older multi-story factories in city centres were obsolete as they were less flexible and their upper floors couldn't handle the larger and heavier machinery. These factories too moved out into the suburbs where they could get large parcels of land with good and rapid rail and highway connections. So industry moved to other parts of the metro region and took their tax revenues with them.

If this had been most countries this wouldn't have made much difference.The city would have just annexed the surrounding region and continued to grow, and the movement of people within the city would have made little difference.

But this the US, and as the thread title states, they're a bit odd. In the US the suburbs are not part of the city, they are separate independent cities with separate electorates and tax bases. When people used their automobiles to move from city centres to the city periphery, and when industry moved to where they could get large parcels of industrially zoned land, the "city" couldn't expand to move with them as they were surrounded by other "cities".

As a result the "city" of Detroit went into a death spiral. Declining population meant declining tax revenue which meant declining infrastructure which caused more people to decide to move. As people with money moved out property prices and rents fell, which meant that poorer people moved in to take advantage of the lower cost of living. This then added to the problems still more.

The political changes that you mentioned were the result of this process, not the cause. They came after the decline was already well on its way. This is unlikely to change any time soon as the 85 per cent of metro Detroit who aren't in the "City of Detroit" are quite satisfied to ignore what goes on in the 15 per cent that is what we call the "City of Detroit". You see much the same in many other cities across the US.

Here's where I copied the census data from.