America - its all a bit odd...

Were you practicing, errrrrrr, drinking tea?
Well it is a Thursday...

I was thinking about emailing that picture to the wife and telling her our anniversary dinner is Saturday and she has expectations that night... for some reason wedding cake seems to be the food that has eroded them in her mind. Of course I might end up getting a ball peen hammer to the back of the skull this evening....

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
As you say, “tourist areas”, but also large cities. Mega-cities in fact, for Chicago, NY and SF. Comparable with London, Paris, Rio, Toronto etc. Not Manchester, Glasgow or Belfast.

Looking at my state, Tennessee, we have 4 major cities. Memphis in the far west, Nashville in Middle TN, Knoxville in East TN and Chattanooga below Knoxville, bordering Georgia. I’m about an hour east of Knoxville, in a tourist area at the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (which I can see from my window).

Memphis is a very impoverished city, majority black, and has a high crime rate. Nashville is a jewel, world-renowned for being “Music City”. Knoxville and Chattanooga are both post-industrial cities, somewhat reminiscent of Birmingham (not Alabama!). Nashville’s about 3 1/2 hrs from me. Driving there, I’d pass through Knoxville, Crossville and Cookeville. They’re just pleasant towns. Outside of Knoxville, no significant crime. Knoxville has its poor areas, but like any other city, there are big shiny buildings, hospitals, universities, malls, pleasant suburbs. Crossville and Cookeville are smaller, but are either side of the Cumberland Plateau. Driving through there, there is some spectacular scenery, somewhat like the M6 in Cumbria, but more trees :).

If I went north, I’d be in Virginia in about an hour, passing through Bristol, which is split between the two states. Bristol is home to the Bristol Motor Speedway. It’s just a boring NASCAR oval, but it holds over 160,000 people. They also use it for very large sporting events. About 5 years ago, the University of Tennessee played Virginia Tech there, and 156,000 people watched the game.

My point is that this is the America that people miss, when they go to Miami or Vegas. It’s where most Americans live, and represents nearly all of the land mass.
If you visit the museum of modern art in Knoxville, you can see the Greenwood mural. It was walled in and hidden for many years at the university. You can probably guess what it represents :)
greenwood_mural.jpg

Sorry Draz, but the big yellow cup requires a manly grip with the hand to drink from said cup.
32 ounces per serving and I can go through two of those during a trip in the summer time. Those dainty mugs don't do it!
Your "manly" 32 oz cup is a vessel for children.

Tea is served and consumed from mugs.

If you think you are manly because you can hold a fast food outlet cup you need to hang your head in shame.

Your "manly" 32 oz cup is a vessel for children.

Tea is served and consumed from mugs.

If you think you are manly because you can hold a fast food outlet cup you need to hang your head in shame.
With portion sizes at some places here, one has to lift weights to pick up a cup or a plate...A "Big Gulp" would shatter your wrists Draz!

With portion sizes at some places here, one has to lift weights to pick up a cup or a plate.

Which explains the size of many Americans, in a width rather than height way.

It’s a motel en route to Arlington where Rickshaw and his ‘Merican buddies are to attend a funeral. Rickshaw tip toes downstairs (spurs are a bugger) in No 1 dress and asks the waitress for “just some tea and toast please”. Three things happen. Firstly the waitress is reinforced by by manager, under manager, other waitresses who all want to hear David Niven asking for tea. Secondly, my ‘Merican buddies start to mutter about “goddam faggotty Brit accents attractin’ attention that us real heroes should be gittin’ (but my dears, their Class A uniform is nylon or some such) and thirdly, the so-called “tea” is a tea bag delivered in a pool of luke warm water. The horror. The horror. And they thought I was tearful at the funeral. It started long before...

happyuk

War Hero
San Francisco: "To hell with human shit on the sidewalks, crackheads laid out everywhere, and everything else going to hell, we're buying $20K designer trash cans!"

1626976648824.png

Ritch

LE
Gutted. BA today cancelled my flight to Seattle in September. I was looking forward to getting away and seeing my mates - oh and drooling over his new AK-47!

Gutted. BA today cancelled my flight to Seattle in September. I was looking forward to getting away and seeing my mates - oh and drooling over his new AK-47!
Why would they cancel it, is it a UK or US obstacle that’s the problem?

Ritch

LE
Why would they cancel it, is it a UK or US obstacle that’s the problem?

The email I got today said it was because of "operational reasons".

I personally think because Biden is yet to open the US to Brits and it's looking unlikely in the near future (the CDC has issued a Do Not Travel warning for the UK), BA have cancelled a load of flights there.

If there was no news by early September, I'd have rung up to rebook anyway.

The email I got today said it was because of "operational reasons".

I personally think because Biden is yet to open the US to Brits and it's looking unlikely in the near future (the CDC has issued a Do Not Travel warning for the UK), BA have cancelled a load of flights there.

If there was no news by early September, I'd have rung up to rebook anyway.
He was going to open up the land borders in a few weeks but backtracked on that yesterday and pushed it to the 21st of August at the earliest. He’s been bitching the Canadians weren’t being cooperative and opening up since he got into office, Justin finally caves and agrees then Joey says he’s changed his mind. Dumbest part is while l can’t drive over the border there is no problem if l fly.....

Ritch

LE
He was going to open up the land borders in a few weeks but backtracked on that yesterday and pushed it to the 21st of August at the earliest. He’s been bitching the Canadians weren’t being cooperative and opening up since he got into office, Justin finally caves and agrees then Joey says he’s changed his mind. Dumbest part is while l can’t drive over the border there is no problem if l fly.....

Yeah he's made an announcement that he'll be making an announcement on when Europeans can travel to the States again but I reckon it won't include the UK. Plus the US doesn't officially recognise the Covid vaccine I've had so we're not eligible.

Yeah he's made an announcement that he'll be making an announcement on when Europeans can travel to the States again but I reckon it won't include the UK. Plus the US doesn't officially recognise the Covid vaccine I've had so we're not eligible.
I think we’re opening up international air travel the beginning of September and so far the only requirement is having the 2 jabs, as far as l know only the Russian and Chinese vaccines are the only ones disqualified.

I wouldn't be to heart broken right now. Odds are we are going to have a sweeping wave of the Delta here in a few weeks time.

Ritch

LE
I think we’re opening up international air travel the beginning of September and so far the only requirement is having the 2 jabs, as far as l know only the Russian and Chinese vaccines are the only ones disqualified.
I was forwarded this page ( Row over AstraZeneca travel ban threat for five million Britons ) a while back which had this in

"Britons seeking to enter the US also face problems because of its reluctance to accept the AstraZeneca vaccine. No version of the AZ jab has been licenced by the US."

Ritch

LE
I wouldn't be to heart broken right now. Odds are we are going to have a sweeping wave of the Delta here in a few weeks time.

Yeah my mates have been giving me the updates. Next possibility is heading over at Thanksgiving.

Yeah my mates have been giving me the updates. Next possibility is heading over at Thanksgiving.
That might honestly be better in the long run, and give him more time to find rounds for you to shoot. Hopefully it will all be for naught but we have our Super Spreader event starting tomorrow and the projection is that in two weeks time we are going to have a spike in cases. Since the Delta variant is a tad worse than the others, it might be a good idea to let the die off peak before you head out this way. I know one gentleman who passed away three weeks ago from it, and another whose lungs are pretty wrecked right now.

Latest Threads