America - its all a bit odd...

Same for Waffle House, a chain of greasy spoons. Cheap food served quickly. At Interstate exits.
Interesting podcast on 'The Waffle House Index' - used by FEMA to gauge the intensity of natural disasters.

Also - the Wiki article: Waffle House Index - Wikipedia

(The 'Brought to you by...' series is pretty enjoyable throughout, if anyone is looking for a podcast).

I know someone who was in the southern US and asked for a cup of tea in a restaurant. They gave her a glass of ice tea.

She said that she wanted a hot cup of real tea, not ice tea. They took the glass of ice tea, put it in the microwave to heat it up and then put it back down in front of her. She gave up at that point.
This post is waht the term 'Trigger Warning' was coined for.

I can't relax now. I may have to write to my MP, demanding that all civil relations with the Colonies are cut off immediately.

Completely agree, they can be huge. When I wrote the post above, i was thinking of describing the path from where I live south to Atlanta, and from Chattanooga, it basically follows the railway line. That’s a feature of the US’s development; it has broadly followed the transport infrastructure with firstly railways and then the US-routes and then the Interstates. Whereas in many/most other countries, the infrastructure was developed to link the existing settlements.

There’s a chain of restaurants here called “Cracker Barrel”, which bills itself as an “Old Country Store and Restaurant”. You find them predominantly at Interstate exits. Same for Waffle House, a chain of greasy spoons. Cheap food served quickly. At Interstate exits.
I've eaten at a few Cracker Barrel restaurants while on trips in the northern US. I ate there only because the people I was with wanted to stop there, and they stopped there only because it was the only restaurant near the highway in the right location when it was time for lunch.

Going by my experience so far I wouldn't however choose to eat there voluntarily. The food portions were massive, served on the biggest dinner plates that I've ever seen. The food however was of poor quality and the meat was very noticeably fatty. If you like massive portions of fatty food then I suppose that is the place to go. My digestive system however rebels at the thought of eating there again.

Interesting podcast on 'The Waffle House Index' - used by FEMA to gauge the intensity of natural disasters.

Also - the Wiki article: Waffle House Index - Wikipedia

(The 'Brought to you by...' series is pretty enjoyable throughout, if anyone is looking for a podcast).

FEMA - “Some bad shit’s gone down here…”

promo_4x3_waffles_2.jpg

As you say, “tourist areas”, but also large cities. Mega-cities in fact, for Chicago, NY and SF. Comparable with London, Paris, Rio, Toronto etc. Not Manchester, Glasgow or Belfast.

Looking at my state, Tennessee, we have 4 major cities. Memphis in the far west, Nashville in Middle TN, Knoxville in East TN and Chattanooga below Knoxville, bordering Georgia. I’m about an hour east of Knoxville, in a tourist area at the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (which I can see from my window).

Memphis is a very impoverished city, majority black, and has a high crime rate. Nashville is a jewel, world-renowned for being “Music City”. Knoxville and Chattanooga are both post-industrial cities, somewhat reminiscent of Birmingham (not Alabama!). Nashville’s about 3 1/2 hrs from me. Driving there, I’d pass through Knoxville, Crossville and Cookeville. They’re just pleasant towns. Outside of Knoxville, no significant crime. Knoxville has its poor areas, but like any other city, there are big shiny buildings, hospitals, universities, malls, pleasant suburbs. Crossville and Cookeville are smaller, but are either side of the Cumberland Plateau. Driving through there, there is some spectacular scenery, somewhat like the M6 in Cumbria, but more trees :).

If I went north, I’d be in Virginia in about an hour, passing through Bristol, which is split between the two states. Bristol is home to the Bristol Motor Speedway. It’s just a boring NASCAR oval, but it holds over 160,000 people. They also use it for very large sporting events. About 5 years ago, the University of Tennessee played Virginia Tech there, and 156,000 people watched the game.

My point is that this is the America that people miss, when they go to Miami or Vegas. It’s where most Americans live, and represents nearly all of the land mass.
For some reason l am partial to Kentucky when it comes to scenic wandering, the immaculate horse farms always fit perfectly into the surroundings. Louisville, is just another city with it’s shïte areas, but l did have a custom baseball bat made for myself many years ago during a factory visit, never hit a ball with it, but it resides under the edge of my bed.

Been to the Cracker Barrel on more than one occasion for convenience, wasn’t the worst food l’ve ever had.
Canadian truck stops are nothing compared to their US counterparts, generally just fuel pumps and a McDonald’s, no built in shopping centre or an abundance of lot lizards.

This post is waht the term 'Trigger Warning' was coined for.

I can't relax now. I may have to write to my MP, demanding that all civil relations with the Colonies are cut off immediately.
Do you stab yourself in the eye with that pinkie finger of yours whilst sipping on that warm tea?

I've eaten at a few Cracker Barrel restaurants while on trips in the northern US. I ate there only because the people I was with wanted to stop there, and they stopped there only because it was the only restaurant near the highway in the right location when it was time for lunch.

Going by my experience so far I wouldn't however choose to eat there voluntarily. The food portions were massive, served on the biggest dinner plates that I've ever seen. The food however was of poor quality and the meat was very noticeably fatty. If you like massive portions of fatty food then I suppose that is the place to go. My digestive system however rebels at the thought of eating there again.

Doesn’t say much for your choices then. I usually have the trout, mashed potatoes and either salad or greens, and neither would I call the portions massive; the sides come in little 3” ramekins.

They do a “campfire chicken” special for a couple months a year, now I think about it, usually in the summer. That’s pretty good too. A half chicken, spuds and veg in a foil packet.

View attachment 589039

Right, that’s the dinner menu sorted for tonight :)
It don't look half bad, but yeah you can do that at home for 1/3 of the cost and make it taste better!

But I am going to fry up some chicken halves on Sunday! I found a new rub at Sportsmen's last weekend and I must try it out! Shopping for seasoning is the devil...

It don't look half bad, but yeah you can do that at home for 1/3 of the cost and make it taste better!

But I am going to fry up some chicken halves on Sunday! I found a new rub at Sportsmen's last weekend and I must try it out! Shopping for seasoning is the devil...

Call me cheap, but I usually make my own rubs:

C9949AD7-904F-4F38-B3C0-9646AE64A351.jpeg

Do you stab yourself in the eye with that pinkie finger of yours whilst sipping on that warm tea?
It's not "warm Tea". It's "Tea". As it was intended to be drunk.

Also, if your pinkie is stabbing yourself in the eye when drinking from a cup, you either need remedial crockery-grasping lessons, or major surgery.

It's not "warm Tea". It's "Tea". As it was intended to be drunk.

Also, if your pinkie is stabbing yourself in the eye when drinking from a cup, you either need remedial crockery-grasping lessons, or major surgery.
1626361181401.png

See that weapon she has sticking up, that is how you lot drink warm tea...

1626361284644.png

Now when using the golden cup, to drink Iced Tea we don't worry about being fancy.

I am starting to think some of us drink a tad bit more of it then you lot by looking at the cups...

1626361589515.png

But we also use that gesture as a sign of "snootiness"...

No-one drinks tea like that, apart from, I guess, Americans.
Sorry Draz, but the big yellow cup requires a manly grip with the hand to drink from said cup.
32 ounces per serving and I can go through two of those during a trip in the summer time. Those dainty mugs don't do it!

View attachment 589051

See that weapon she has sticking up, that is how you lot drink warm tea...

View attachment 589052

Now when using the golden cup, to drink Iced Tea we don't worry about being fancy.

I am starting to think some of us drink a tad bit more of it then you lot by looking at the cups...

View attachment 589053

But we also use that gesture as a sign of "snootiness"...
That first pic seems like she’s imagining doing something else, and it’s not drinking tea....

Edit; beaten to it by Tappet

Latest Threads