America fights to take charge of UN peacekeeping

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,174-2435289_1,00.html

The United States is lobbying to put an American, possibly a general, in charge of all UN peacekeeping operations in a move that could offer Washington an exit strategy in Iraq.

The unprecedented US bid for the top UN peacekeeping post would place an American in command of the 95,000 UN peacekeepers in trouble spots from Lebanon to Sudan.

The American lobbying effort is set to prove hugely controversial. If successful, the change would amount to a radical remaking of the organisation, bringing it closer to its origin in the Second World War as a US-led alliance.

It is also stirring memories of the disastrous UN peace operation, led by the US, in Somalia in 1993, which ended in chaos and killing on the streets of the capital, Mogadishu.

Some UN officials also fear that putting an American at the head of peacekeeping potentially could enable the US to use UN operations for covert activities — as it did with the UN weapons inspection teams in the Iraq of Saddam Hussein.

An American-led UN peacekeeping department could eventually help Washington to replace the US-led coalition in Iraq with a UN-flagged force, diplomats and experts say.
Aye aye whats going on here then?

its so that in about a year from now (when Iraq is in total civil war), the repukes can say 'see! its the UNs fault'

I have a feeling that the note about Somalia is incorrect. I understood that the UN and US worked alongside each other and as per, the Spams were not under any sort of UN control which wasa major factor in what happened there were no comms etc between the US and the UN.

Mr Happy

LE
Sir_Sidney_Ruff_Diamond said:
I have a feeling that the note about Somalia is incorrect. I understood that the UN and US worked alongside each other and as per, the Spams were not under any sort of UN control which wasa major factor in what happened there were no comms etc between the US and the UN.
Correct.

Spams don't like ceding control of their forces. If it wasn't for us in Iraq then our Gen in AFG wouldn't have control of all those lovely air assets etc.