America coast to coast

Last edited:
If you can find a copy Billy Connolly did a tv series where he did route 66 on a trike showing the best attractions and pointing out stuff you would never know if you just drove past.
As to the cowboy ranch unless you have mega medical insurance maybe you should stay away from horses.

From Vegas, you can visit the Hoover dam too. Not sure how you'd manage this, but if it's at all possible, try flying into Vegas from the East. You overfly some of the most spectacular scenery, and it's all but impossible to get an idea of it from the ground.

This kind of thing:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Get to Arizona if the umfaan likes aircraft. The Pima Air and Space Museum is said to be pretty good.
Just an idea that’s occurred to me.

Anyone know if any of those massive aircraft graveyards in the desert are open for the public to have a mooch around?

Not mooch around per se, as it's an active military base, but I think AMARG has bus tours.

Just an idea that’s occurred to me.

Anyone know if any of those massive aircraft graveyards in the desert are open for the public to have a mooch around?
Check out the airshow schedules too - Likely you wont get the chance to see B1/B2 flying very often.

Your kids will enjoy the NASA space and rocket center in Huntsville, if it comes close to your trajectory.

@SOCALSapper threatened to hunt me down if I didn't visit the USS Iowa on my last visit to Los Angeles. It was the highlight of my few days in that city, and highly recommended. Nothing much else to recommend the place, really.

I'm out there quite often and they have much nicer beer than that now!
When in the new York area try and get some Yeungling. Really, really nice stuff from Americas oldest brewery.
Hard to get anywhere else apart from the NE US.
I would recommend Denver as a place to stop over, but you have kids.
It's friendly, clean, the food is great and you can get absoloutly monged due to the weed laws.
Then you can drive up Pikes Peak (try and do this one!!) You have the great plains off to the east and the Rockies off to the west. Amazing views.
It's over 2.6 miles above sea level and can be interesting if you have just come from sea level a few days before!

Last edited:
As said 4 weeks is not enough, I did the eastern bit of Canada from Toronto to Halifax 6 years ago in three weeks and a bit and it was tight. I missed a few things that I would have liked to see. Also bin the RV, renting your muscle car for the whole trip and staying in hotels/motels will be just as cheap in the end, as well as more fun. ( I speak from experience, having done the RV thing in Alberta and BC in 2014, they drink fuel like a drunken sailor and camping fees are just retarded.

I'm out there quite often and they have much nicer beer than that now!
When in the new York area try and get some Yeungling. Really, really nice stuff from Americas oldest brewery.
Hard to get anywhere else apart from the NE US.
I would recommend Denver as a place to stop over, but you have kids.
It's friendly, clean, the food is great and you can get absoloutly monged due to the weed laws.
Then you can drive up Pikes Peak (try and do this one!! You have the great plains off to the east and the rockies off to the west.
It's over 2.6 miles above sea level and can be interting if you have just come from sea level a few days before!
Yuengling is much more widespread these days, we have it on tap and in bottles here in TN. They have seasonal brews too.

I’ve always fancied going to Austin, Texas.
It’s meant to be a pretty cool place with great bars and music and food.

May not be great with kids though.....in case the bars really are great.

I’ve always fancied going to Austin, Texas.
It’s meant to be a pretty cool place with great bars and music and food.

May not be great with kids though.....in case the bars really are great.
Go just outside Austin, to the hill country - tubing down the rivers all day (leisurely drinking beers) and watching the college girls flash boobs for beers... Its a land of dreams!

Santa Fe NM is also a great place to unwind from what I've heard. Very laid back.

Agree with Lardbeast above. Tucson is often overlooked. Pima air and space museum is wonderful and also the famous "bone yard" which is now filling up with hundreds/thousands of old C-130s. Tours available.

I found LA utterly uninspiring. City centre was dirty, with lots of rough sleepers around it. Transit system to the California Science Park was good. Science park was great with space shuttle Intrepid to walk around and touch. Universal Studios great but bloody expensive.

San Diego fabulous with USS Midway, whale watching tours and more. A clean, smart city in a stunning setting.

Tucson is smaller and nicer than Phoenix, drive up Mt Lemmon and take in the view from the UA Observatory , if you can time it with a Mariachi concert in April, or the Tucson Rodeo in February, temperatures are comfortable during daytime until May after which its scorchio - if you go up Mt Lemmon dress for the arctic, you'll be shedding the layers by the time you get back down. The boneyard tour is seeing rows of aircraft covered in white latex, but the Pima air museum next door is good.

In Arlington cemetery there is an hourly (30 minutes apr-sep) changing of the guard ceremony at the tomb of the unknown warrior, and a nice view of DC from Arlington House itself which is aligned along Memorial bridge with the Lincoln Memorial. Just outside on the North side is the Marine Corps memorial at which you can see a silent drill demonstration on Tuesday’s at sunset over the summer.

Last edited: