Amended Backstop

Agreed? By whom? Certainly not by parliament which is why we are in this mess. The negotiators signed up to something they must have known would not get through parliament, but went ahead anyway just to appease the EU.

The WA is neither agreed nor a document to take us out of the EU so parliament are quite right to block it, if for differing reasons!
David Davis then. I know what's coming here as well. Thing is, you need to look at the second part, how's it going to look to any other negotiators if our word means feck all?

Which makes me wonder why the relevant treaty deals solely with threats over the Irish Republic, and why the Irish complain about the RAF meeting its treaty obligations.

The UK Defence Journal suggests it's down to "hurt Irish pride".

Irish politician angry that RAF 'had not informed Ireland' that Typhoons intercepted Russian bombers off coast

“These maneuvers were not sanctioned by the Irish Aviation Authority and had put Irish air traffic controllers in the invidious position of not being able to carry out their duties effectively. This should not be tolerated.”

Maybe the mighty Irish Air Force could shoo the naughty RAF away?

DAS

Old-Salt
“These maneuvers were not sanctioned by the Irish Aviation Authority and had put Irish air traffic controllers in the invidious position of not being able to carry out their duties effectively. This should not be tolerated.”

Maybe the mighty Irish Air Force could shoo the naughty RAF away?
Storm in a (small) tea cup. No one here gives a flying (pardon the pun) fcuk what Timmy Dooley thinks.

Had PMTM allowed proper negotiation, Had the Eu actually negotiated, Had we sent a political negotiator that voted leave etc!
Every single paragraph of the WA had to be agreed by both parties before the whole WA was agreed.

Of course the EU is to blame for the UK’s lack of capability

I'm sorry but that is Irish. If you'd watched @ Auld Yin's DW interview with the MEP- the Eu are wriggling like hell to get out of the GFA and the implicit threat from the EU to Ireland is if THEY don't set up the border controls (that nobody wants), the EU will impose barriers on Irish trade. This is actually a coded way of saying they want nothing to do with Ireland.

Actually if Veradker used his brains, he could do very well, because the upcoming spat about Nondom and Tax issues is going to make him wish that he had thought twice. Outside the EU Ireland could make far more money than it's agribusiness as a Tax Haven as @ Banker has alluded.
leaving the EU would set back Ireland probably 50 years economically and socially it isn’t in our interests

Again (as I keep saying) that was a known implication of the Brexit vote (since it was decided to have a vote) by all (Ireland, EU and U.K. except the brexiters (who probably don’t care one way or the other if there is a Customs border on the island of Ireland)).

That is why there is a backstop!

Everyone wants/knows/requires that:
- no hard border on the island of Ireland
- that requires NI to accept the regulations etc that they currently have (as part of the EU)
- it also requires NI to stay in the EU CU

If those conditions aren’t met:
(a) a hard border has to be put in place, or (b) Ireland can’t be in the EU CU

As to your last point it's really rather moot. In order to comply both the EU and the UK must have viable customs presences/enforcement to comply with WTO rules. Irish Customs is ultra vires according to the Lisbon treaty, But Brussels has no alternative, it depends on MSs. We got rid of ours to comply-(tad ironic that). It has the means of collections but not the real means of enforcement, which is why both sides don't want to man it. To cap it all it has already been agreed that Britain will retain CT facilities, which rather undermines the whole argument because CT effectively remotely controls the movement of goods. Kafka couldn't make that up.
Except many here and in the U.K. don’t realise that

Every single paragraph of the WA had to be agreed by both parties before the whole WA was agreed.

Of course the EU is to blame for the UK’s lack of capability

leaving the EU would set back Ireland probably 50 years economically and socially it isn’t in our interests

Again (as I keep saying) that was a known implication of the Brexit vote (since it was decided to have a vote) by all (Ireland, EU and U.K. except the brexiters (who probably don’t care one way or the other if there is a Customs border on the island of Ireland)).

That is why there is a backstop!

Everyone wants/knows/requires that:
- no hard border on the island of Ireland
- that requires NI to accept the regulations etc that they currently have (as part of the EU)
- it also requires NI to stay in the EU CU

If those conditions aren’t met:
(a) a hard border has to be put in place, or (b) Ireland can’t be in the EU CU

Except many here and in the U.K. don’t realise that
I'm having a frustrating day today, crankpins just busted on me Johnson 4-4-0 and that could ruin the model. My bold that's eminently clear as far as the EU goes too and Ireland for that matter. But as I've pointed out before, it is not being in the CU that makes for the single market, it's who pays the duty on the goods imported there. There is nothing to say you can't sell goods there, if someone pays the duty. The whole thing is an economic construct designed to make a "level playing field" which always has been anti competitive. The answer has always been to supply the home market first and look on exports as a brucie bonus. If, of course you can strip out the oppositions home market, you can fleece them till the cows come home.

Storm in a (small) tea cup. No one here gives a flying (pardon the pun) fcuk what Timmy Dooley thinks.
Apart from Brexiteers apparently.

Agreed? By whom? Certainly not by parliament which is why we are in this mess. The negotiators signed up to something they must have known would not get through parliament, but went ahead anyway just to appease the EU.
We (you, me, everyone) would like to thing so.

Honestly imho, they (the U.K. negotiating team) probably thought it wouldn’t be an issue, but that’s just my opinion.

The WA is neither agreed nor a document to take us out of the EU so parliament are quite right to block it, if for differing reasons!
Agreed by PMTM and her Cabinet.

It isn’t ratified !

The Irish Times poll definitely shoots a hole in the 'Brexit makes a United Ireland more likely' theory.

We have computers too you know. I suspect that RoI will suffer more from the smuggling that will take place. Dont expect us to stop the smuggling southbound!
Do they have “Intel” inside (for example)?
Irish, Chinese, US and Israeli made

The price of them will be going up

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We (you, me, everyone) would like to thing so.

Honestly imho, they (the U.K. negotiating team) probably thought it wouldn’t be an issue, but that’s just my opinion.

Agreed by PMTM and her Cabinet.

It isn’t ratified !
I don't think the negotiators didn't think it would be an issue but that it would not be spotted in 585 pages of close type. Either way Oily Robbins and May were stupid.

time to cut away this problem that is Ireland once and for all! 100yrs ago they wanted nothing to do with us and declared their selves a country ((albeit one without their own currency) and have been no friends to Britain ever since even though they never think twice about sucking on the British tit, let them go and stew and see how they get on on their own.

Latest Threads