Amended Backstop

Its like this, if the "Republic" of Ireland, hereby know as Euro Ireland (EIRE) wants to court Europe then so be it.

Good luck to another Euro prop up state when the UK abandons discounted potatoes, EIRE loses 90% of its Guinness customers and 70% of its former tourists cannot afford to go there or dont want to.

Ireland is nothing without us, its not full of aspiring and affluent continentals, despite what they think, EIRE is currently a Brexit battleground, however once we put up a border and acknowlege them as foreigners, they are at the mercy of Euro whims.....

Probably as relevant to Europe as the Faroe Islands once the backstop is cancelled.

Ah so Ireland doesn't have Wet and dry warehousing schemes, IPR and OPR, LIC AND LEC facilities, transhipment or removal methods. Telling that!!

Ireland has been making out like a bandit with the transhipping stuff from outside the EU into the EU and sticking 'Assembled in Ireland' game… assembled in often means little more than the pallet load was 'assembled' in a distribution warehouse.

Ireland absolute does not want anyone looking too closely at its 'industry'.

Its like this, if the "Republic" of Ireland, hereby know as Euro Ireland (EIRE) wants to court Europe then so be it.

Good luck to another Euro prop up state when the UK abandons discounted potatoes, EIRE loses 90% of its Guinness customers and 70% of its former tourists cannot afford to go there or dont want to.

Ireland is nothing without us, its not full of aspiring and affluent continentals, despite what they think, EIRE is currently a Brexit battleground, however once we put up a border and acknowlege them as foreigners, they are at the mercy of Euro whims.....

Probably as relevant to Europe as the Faroe Islands once the backstop is cancelled.

Bingo…

They idiots in Dail Eireann seem blissfully unaware of the protection Ireland as a de facto UK subsidiary has recioeved by the activities of the UK awkward squad in Brussels.

Once we're gone, they are a tiny little country out in the Atlantic that speaks a language no one else in EUtopia speaks and is culturally, legally and politicaly very different.

Ireland has been making out like a bandit with the transhipping stuff from outside the EU into the EU and sticking 'Assembled in Ireland' game… assembled in often means little more than the pallet load was 'assembled' in a distribution warehouse.

Too late for that! If Leo Varadkar had played along nicely, not too many awkward questions would be asked. I am reliably informed that the European Commission are now very interested in what has been going on.

Too late for that! If Leo Varadkar had played along nicely, not too many awkward questions would be asked. I am reliably informed that the European Commission are now very interested in what has been going on.

The trouble with Veradkar is he's one of the new generation of 'European Irish' - see Clegg for our equivalent - they are died in the wool ideologies, not for them the wiley ways of Enda and the Mayo Mafia.
Yes, Enda could play the anti Brit card, bit it was just for show, he knew Britain had irelands back and never trusted the EU which he saw as nothing but a cash cow to rip off. Little Leo is playing the same anti Brit card, but doesn't understand the rules of the game, and actually thinks the EU is irelands best friend and future.

There has always been a big business in Ireland shipping in stuff from America in particular and sticking 'Guaranteed Irish' or 'Assembled in Ireland' stickers on the boxes and shipping it into the EU tariff free. It was easy to do because all them Irish trucks full of bent gear were just static in the huge UK trade to the Continent.
Now? Well Leo, your boys are now going to be different, and they will be going through an EU customs border… not happy days.

The trouble with Veradkar is he's one of the new generation of 'European Irish' - see Clegg for our equivalent - they are died in the wool ideologies, not for them the wiley ways of Enda and the Mayo Mafia.
Yes, Enda could play the anti Brit card, bit it was just for show, he knew Britain had irelands back and never trusted the EU which he saw as nothing but a cash cow to rip off. Little Leo is playing the same anti Brit card, but doesn't understand the rules of the game, and actually thinks the EU is irelands best friend and future.

There has always been a big business in Ireland shipping in stuff from America in particular and sticking 'Guaranteed Irish' or 'Assembled in Ireland' stickers on the boxes and shipping it into the EU tariff free. It was easy to do because all them Irish trucks full of bent gear were just static in the huge UK trade to the Continent.
Now? Well Leo, your boys are now going to be different, and they will be going through an EU customs border… not happy days.
I would imagine that when the easy readies stop flowing, some FG TDs will be very pissed off with Leo Varadkar.

I would imagine that when the easy readies stop flowing, some FG TDs will be very pissed off with Leo Varadkar.

Indeed.

There are a lot of well connected and well heeled people in Ireland who will be less than impressed when all their off book antics come under EU scrutiny.

my point entirely. The point is it doesn't stop there, neither does the EU/ ( and us tbf) in terms of triangulation/Origin etc. A point I made some time ago that so long as respective governments within the system get an increase broadly in line with inflation in terms of duties they're happy as that is broadly neutral. The fact that the Multinationals are playing fast and loose in the system, generating more profit than is actually sustainable is what stops smaller firms finding a niche. for themselves and that is anti competitive. That bit is not simple and it's why corporations pay over the odds for lawyers and that is not good for the retail side.

So NI goods would have free access to the SM
It doesn't matter, the final arbiter is the Customer. This EORI thing is something you will have to worry about. Why does the EU want to know who trades outside the EU? Their function is to ensure that relevant taxes are collected not who makes the money. But a handle on who may be flouting EU internal regs, should push come to shove, and of course it would open up information that is sensitive to competitors. Naughty naughty that. No complaints to the Commission there then?

my point entirely. The point is it doesn't stop there, neither does the EU/ ( and us tbf) in terms of triangulation/Origin etc. A point I made some time ago that so long as respective governments within the system get an increase broadly in line with inflation in terms of duties they're happy as that is broadly neutral. The fact that the Multinationals are playing fast and loose in the system, generating more profit than is actually sustainable is what stops smaller firms finding a niche. for themselves and that is anti competitive. That bit is not simple and it's why corporations pay over the odds for lawyers and that is not good for the retail side.

The EU is very, far too friendly to the huge multinationals.
Corbyn is a cnut, but he's bang on the money when he pins that tail on the EU donkey

@History_Man

Which ports do you mean having checks at and going to which destinations?

Ah so Ireland doesn't have Wet and dry warehousing schemes, IPR and OPR, LIC AND LEC facilities, transhipment or removal methods. Telling that!!
Customs warehousing - check
inward & outward processing - check

LIC & LEC ?

By transshipment & removal - I assume you mean of containers or trailers (so part of a consolidated load can be routed green and some red?) - that I don’t know as I’ve no exposure to that but I’d say yes

With regard to customs warehousing and transshipment & removal the problem isn’t that we don’t have (they along with IP & OP etc are part of the UCC).... it’s the sheer volume of the increase that could occur that the existing infrastructure couldn’t cope with and it will be the same in the U.K.

The very nerve of us!

Rosslare plans to take advantage of Brexit ‘world of opportunities’

Irish Revenue have developed an app which will give a truck driver coming into Ireland (via Sea) a Customs routing while still at sea

So in theory it could be used across the NI border as well. The problem will be enforcement.... which will require physical infrastructure.

It also will not solve the issue of those who intend not to be compliant.

Whoever wrote that doesn't use Rosslare regularly.
Small, awful access, prone to fierce weather.

@History_Man

LIC & LEC ?

By transshipment & removal - I assume you mean of containers or trailers (so part of a consolidated load can be routed green and some red?) - that I don’t know as I’ve no exposure to that but I’d say yes

With regard to customs warehousing and transshipment & removal the problem isn’t that we don’t have (they along with IP & OP etc are part of the UCC).... it’s the sheer volume of the increase that could occur that the existing infrastructure couldn’t cope with and it will be the same in the U.K.
No. Transshipment and removal processes are where the goods are not processed but given leave to remain customs free until they leave, normally 30days or it’s linked to IPR. It’s normally for heavy industry due to sailing bookings. The point here is that duty is collected if the declared intent is altered. LI and LEC are normally for big processors and the entry process is dealt with largely by the VAT side. Typically Car manufacturers wit JIT implications, since there are input and out put implications, such as pressing steel functions carried out in other countries. All entries are precleared using route 7. They will also have CT docs issued locally. Nothing here has to change as the counterpart accounting systems in the varying countries do the import process. So actually there’s not much in it.
Consolidations or Groupage of non sensitive such as no excise goods shouldn’t be that affected.

@History_Man

LIC & LEC ?

The examples that I previously gave were as follows:

Belfast Port
Larne Port
Belfast International Airport

Cork Port
Dublin Port
Dublin Airport
Shannon Airport

Others can clearly be added...

ugly

LE
What?

You do realise that not every product going from Ireland to the other EU27 pass through the U.K. ?

A lot does (approx 0.5 million trucks/containers

RoRo we have:
Dublin-Cherbourg
Dublin-Rotterdam & Zeebrugge
Rosslare-Cherbourg
Cork-Roscoff
Cork-Santander

There is also LoLo

For vehicles using the landbridge hopefully it should be something like TIR. Therefore possibly a documentation and seals check.

For those using the above routes there should be zero customs formalities as we are within the CU.

If we are exporting a trailer to unload in say London.... then there should be an EU SAD filed in Dublin and another on arrival in the U.K. (assuming it is required).
The goods will require a manifest, that manifest can be an inspection cert from Irish/Eu customs saying it meets the EU requirements. Not hard is it?

To govern is to chose; they have to make a choice. The status quo is not an option, so what would they like in it's place? That is the conversation that May needs to have with them.
Conversations with the DUP tend to be one-sided and monosyllabic i.e. No, no, no, no, no, no, no ... and ... no!

Your idea has merit but in the world of realpolitik ... not a snowball's ... with a General Election.

Latest Threads