Amended Backstop

The easiest way to resolve this problem would be to treat the whole of the island of Ireland as a Free Trade Area where both UK and RoI goods are in free circulation. But, in order to prevent both the UK's and EU's single markets being compromised, joint UK-EU Customs checks are held at all major ports.
100%
Solution found.
Close the thread

Very true so will NI and U.K. except an Irish Revenue customs posts on U.K. soil ?

It is possible of course
I am more used to looking at the border from one angle but I am sure the same is true on the other side.

The easiest way to resolve this problem would be to treat the whole of the island of Ireland as a Free Trade Area where both UK and RoI goods are in free circulation. But, in order to prevent both the UK's and EU's single markets being compromised, joint UK-EU Customs checks are held at all major ports.
So take Ireland out of the EU Customs Union?

No

That is outside the box thinking and therefore will not be allowed in Ireland in case 'them uns' can get some sort of advantage from it.

I am more used to looking at the border from one angle but I am sure the same is true on the other side.
But in some cases you may have to go further back ..... it is absolutely an option and preferred (if it comes to it)

Of course if you had a business in the area you may get a lot of unannounced inspections

That is outside the box thinking and therefore will not be allowed in Ireland in case 'them uns' can get some sort of advantage from it.
Funnily enough, when I was in NI last October and suggested this at a particular meeting, the representatives from the RoI were particularly enthusiastic and thought that it was the 'obvious, common sense solution.' Neither of them thought much of Leo Varadkar's abilities either...

Re-read what I wrote.
Which is fine for goods coming into Ireland but what about goods leaving Ireland going straight to the EU

An Irish company exporting via short sea to Belgium say will have to produce documents to state that the goods are not coming from the U.K. and they may have to be inspected.

Ireland is already in a free trade area without customs controls, in just over 2 months we will be one of 27 countries in that free trade area.

Which is fine for goods coming into Ireland but what about goods leaving Ireland going straight to the EU

An Irish company exporting via short sea to Belgium say will have to produce documents to state that the goods are not coming from the U.K. and they may have to be inspected.

Ireland is already in a free trade area without customs controls, in just over 2 months we will be one of 27 countries in that free trade area.
Those good would have to go through the UK in any case. Where do you want them to be inspected?

Those good would have to go through the UK in any case. Where do you want them to be inspected?
What?

You do realise that not every product going from Ireland to the other EU27 pass through the U.K. ?

A lot does (approx 0.5 million trucks/containers

RoRo we have:
Dublin-Cherbourg
Dublin-Rotterdam & Zeebrugge
Rosslare-Cherbourg
Cork-Roscoff
Cork-Santander

There is also LoLo

For vehicles using the landbridge hopefully it should be something like TIR. Therefore possibly a documentation and seals check.

For those using the above routes there should be zero customs formalities as we are within the CU.

If we are exporting a trailer to unload in say London.... then there should be an EU SAD filed in Dublin and another on arrival in the U.K. (assuming it is required).

What?

You do realise that not every product going from Ireland to the other EU27 pass through the U.K. ?

RoRo we have:
Dublin-Cherbourg
Rosslare-Cherbourg
Cork-Roscoff
Cork-Santander

There is also LoLo
You specifically said 'short sea' and referred to Belgium, which would involve going via the UK, so yes it would be subject to UK Customs inspection.

On your wider point, what I have proposed is reciprocity. NI and the RoI jointly enforce both the UK border and the EU external border. There is no way that the RoI authorities would be allowed to conduct inspections in NI without reciprocal UK inspection rights in the South. My proposal is a fair, jointly managed and enforced deal.

I had not heard about the EU reciprocating on ECMTs permits.

What I did hear that thee deadline for applications (to the U.K.) for the post Brexit quota has now passed.

I believe (open to correction) that they aren’t required for cabotage?!

But NI was allocated a total of 80 permits.....

It was an FTA (Freight Transport Association) bulletin in the last couple of days that said the EU were doing a reciprocal on the SCMT Permits. I'd have to dig through works emails to find it.

Yes dealine passed last week I think. There has been plenty of notice about it with regular updates from the DVSA

The cabotage reference was more about the rules being flouted by eatern european hauliers. To be fair it isn't their fault, it just isn't enforced properly.

Haven't looked at the allocations for permits tbh. I'll take your word for it!

You specifically said 'short sea' and referred to Belgium, which would involve going via the UK, so yes it would be subject to UK Customs inspection.

On your wider point, what I have proposed is reciprocity. NI and the RoI jointly enforce both the UK border and the EU external border. There is no way that the RoI authorities would be allowed to conduct inspections in NI without reciprocal UK inspection rights in the South. My proposal is a fair, jointly managed and enforced deal.

There are direct Ireland- Holland ferry routes. They cost quite a lot and take quite a long time though

What?

RoRo we have:
Dublin-Cherbourg
Rosslare-Cherbourg
Cork-Roscoff
Cork-Santander

There is also LoLo

For vehicles using the landbridge hopefully it should be something like TIR. Therefore possibly a documentation and seals check.

For those using the above routes there should be zero customs formalities as we are within the CU.

If we are exporting a trailer to unload in say London.... then there should be an EU SAD filed in Dublin and another on arrival in the U.K. (assuming it is required).
Only the Rotterdam and Zeebrugge crossings are getting approved Euroroute status and investment apparently. No ifrastructure improvements for the French ports because the EU says they want you to use Belgium and Holland.
I have no idea why but I haven't looked in to it in any detail

I've just been reading the bumf on EORI, oh yus this is going to be fun another layer of beaurocracy open to misuse.

You’ll notice how the ruling states that the amount of tax to be paid to Ireland (ie that Ireland didn’t collect) would be reduced if other countries required Apple to pay more taxes on the profits recorded by Apple.

Also how it would be reduced further if Apple was forced by the US to pay more tax in the US for R&D.

It is not Ireland’s fault that other countries don’t charge tax on profits sent by branches in their countries to their HQ.
You are really doing your utmost to evade and ignore the point. So plain, simple, easy and precise:
The EUs beadle and his servants in Ireland desperately didn't want to collect the taxes from Apple.
His and Irelands masters in Brussels forced him to collect. So Ireland ist truely at the mercy and under the heel of the EU.
They are not very mercyful at all.

Only the Rotterdam and Zeebrugge crossings are getting approved Euroroute status and investment apparently. No ifrastructure improvements for the French ports because the EU says they want you to use Belgium and Holland.
I have no idea why but I haven't looked in to it in any detail

It’s all part of the EUs TEN T defined heavy goods vehicle transportation route plan.

Last edited:

Latest Threads