Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by RP578, Jan 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Stumbled across this fascinating little short film whilst browsing on the Pathe news site:

Ambush Reel 1

Ambush Reel 2

At the end of the short film the voice over states that it was a reconstruction of events that happened in January 1964 to a unit form the 4th Bn, R Anglians, formerly the Royal Leicesters.

Interesting that the film was made in the same year. Possibly as part of a recruitment drive? Note that the SLRs being used have the black plastic stocks and not the wooden ones seen some time later during the early years of Op Banner.
  2. The stocks on the SLR's are wooden not plastic. The wood has been stained or painted Black.
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

4. If it was 1964 it would be the Borneo conflict,it would be Indonesians not CT's
  5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yes, it's definitely Borneo. Even before the date is mentioned it's pretty obvious from the weapons as well cultural references (volunteer army, 'A Hard Day's Night' etc.) that this was in the mid-1960's.

As for the reference to CTs it seems to be an editorial error by the archivist. The enemy were more officially referred to as Indonesian Border Terrorists (IBT) and the domestic Clandestine Communist Organisation (CCO) which was a predominantly Chinese guerrilla outfit in Sarawak. Even though regular Indonesian Army units (TNI) were used, the fiction of them being volunteer units was maintained by both sides. Even the ones parachuted into the Malay Peninsular.
  6. There's some good stuff on the conflict on Britains Small Wars

7. Thanks for putting that on,was a good watch ! :D
  8. Hey thanks for posting . Saw this away back in 1980 when I was an army cadet . I'd forgotten the name of it but remember being fascinated by it :)
  9. Err - bollox. Wooden stocks were in service until (at least) 1976 - I had a triangular wooden stock on my SLR in Armagh that year. I can't remember exactly when I had to give up wood for plastic: it could even have been as late as 1981-2-3, when we were in Berlin
  10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, thanks. See spiffy's post above.